New VW Transporter concept?

stanski

As you know I have been a VW aircooled head all my life and my present van is the orange Bay (in my signature).

Came across this concept ??

Not sure what to make of it - of course VW wont build it but you never know....

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2015-vw-transporter-is-a-thing-of-beauty-27797.html

2015-vw-transporter-is-a-thing-of-beauty-medium_3.jpg

2015-vw-transporter-is-a-thing-of-beauty-medium_6.jpg

To me if your going to plunder your history do it properly - have it looking like a Split or a Bay not somewhere in between? Its really a retro van on top of a modern vehicle so its not a new from scratch concept like the original was?

I think Nissan and Toyota could have made a better job of it to be fair? But nice to see the engine is in the back again? Putting a smile on it is a bit too cutesy for me - how many builders are wanting to drive around in that?

The original designs had a pretty face but it was the styling of its time not because it looked cute and sweet? They look cute today as all the other vehicles look so bland square and dull?

Having said all that I hope VW have the balls to build it or at least a version of it? Lets see.....

What do you lot think? Modern day Bedford Rascal ?

wasn't there another concept a few years back that looked far more like the original.

Yep its the one Mike posted up (2001) there was a version of it that looked more Split like - I liked it but the T5 although a smart enough van just does'nt have the soul that the others did - read: Aircooled, engine in the back.

BTW Danny dont buy a Split unless you have very very deep pockets and you dont mind causing traffic jams everywhere you go. They are so overpriced these days not worth the cash? I got mine foir £600 way back in 1990 - wont have one again though. :surrender:

Stick with my Bay until I cant work on it anymore or someone offers me £20K for it! :lol:

Oh hang on whats this..........

the-microbus-concept-could-incorporate-elements-from-the-original-type-2-campervan-$7078265$326.jpg

http://www.caravantimes.co.uk/news/volkswagen-confirms-plans-for-new-microbus-concept-$21379007.htm

The weird thing is these new designs seem to be influenced from TV or films animated or otherwise - based on the original vehicles, so have we gone full circle where now the designers are influenced by TV cartoons etc - Scooby doo's Mystery Machine which was of course the Yanks version of the VW bus ? :doh:

please note that the images posted by Beavis are not from VW, but are the work of a Brazilian designer.

There is good news for fans of the Camper, Klaus Bischoff, Volkswagen’s Chief Designer, has revealed, in an interview given to British Autoexpress magazine, that the German carmaker is working on plans to build a new version of the classic Camper. “I would not be doing my job at Volkswagen properly if I was not thinking of bringing back the Camper," he said in the interview given at the recent LA Auto Show.

• 2 weeks later...

I was driving around the M25 the other month when I got behind a car towing a trailer with a VW Camper that was totally rusty with holes all over it and I said to my mate 'Jesus he's got some project on there' then within minutes of passing it I aproached a car transporter with 10 Brand new VW Campers exactly the same as the one had just passed I could not believe it. We both just laughed :lol: my mate said 'I think I would rather be driving new than spending thousands on a rusty hulk' I tend to agree.

Oh hang on whats this..........

the-microbus-concept-could-incorporate-elements-from-the-original-type-2-campervan-$7078265$326.jpg

http://www.caravantimes.co.uk/news/volkswagen-confirms-plans-for-new-microbus-concept-$21379007.htm

The weird thing is these new designs seem to be influenced from TV or films animated or otherwise - based on the original vehicles, so have we gone full circle where now the designers are influenced by TV cartoons etc - Scooby doo's Mystery Machine which was of course the Yanks version of the VW bus ? :doh:

I think this would sell :blush:

Has a bit of a big nose.....

2015-vw-transporter-is-a-thing-of-beauty-medium_6.jpg

nose1.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

Geoff I hear wot ur saying but u can't deny the mini has been a success, may not be a proper mini and may lack character etc etc but it's a good car that sells well. I was lookin fwd to the stratos but I was very disappointed I just dont like the front end. Down to personal taste at the end if the day

As for a modern camper id love to see it on the road but I dunno wot type of person would buy it? Do u think it would sell?

Surely this poor lass has been the victim of a photoshop or bad angle 'incident'! In any case, I think I've found Husky's next blind date.

Unfortunately not... although she does mix with some girls that make her look slightly better :thumbs:

nose2.thumbnail.jpg

Forget 88 (ish) virgins and a free IPod awaiting would-be suicide bombers; I'm hoping these 'girls' await the ultimate self harmers!