Clicking Rear Axle

monkfish

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
The dealer-inspired fix is the re-greasing.

There are 2 official fixes on the Nissan Hi-Tech system

1. A 180 degree rotation and re-use

2. Full replacment.

The only acceptable solution IMO is 2.

I would be telling them in writing, if they do other than 2. , that you regard what they have done as a temporary fix and reserve the right to get it properly fixed when/if it recurs :)

I have had both of these fixes done on both sides. And yet the mysterious clicking noise remains.

According to the Nissan TSB The cause of the problem is a play between the wheel bearing and the drive shaft.

Bizarrely it now only happens when the car has been running for a while, so maybe the bearing expands a little when warm? Who knows!

My car has been into the dealer 4 times already to get this fixed, and my warranty runs out in 2 weeks. I'm going to write a letter to NMGB, and will include this thread to make the case - if that's OK with the mods?

• 2 weeks later...

2. Full replacment.

I would be telling them in writing, if they do other than 2. , that you regard what they have done as a temporary fix and reserve the right to get it properly fixed when/if it recurs :)

I have had both of these fixes done on both sides. And yet the mysterious clicking noise remains.

According to the Nissan TSB The cause of the problem is a play between the wheel bearing and the drive shaft.

Bizarrely it now only happens when the car has been running for a while, so maybe the bearing expands a little when warm? Who knows!

My car has been into the dealer 4 times already to get this fixed, and my warranty runs out in 2 weeks. I'm going to write a letter to NMGB, and will include this thread to make the case - if that's OK with the mods?

Think your dealer needs a chat with Middlehurst,,, they fixed mine first time ;)

2. Full replacment.

Think your dealer needs a chat with Middlehurst,,, they fixed mine first time ;)

Westway in brum did mine first time as well :thumbs:

Mine have started to squeek on me now, so lets see how i get on with the dealers to sort this out.

What did you all tell them? Just the rear axles are clicking

Yes, its a very distictive sound :thumbs:

as in

click click click click click click click click click click click click. lol

Im also surprised that you didnt say that there is something else that i have broken ;)

My dealer couldn't fix the axle in my P2, they are waiting to hear from Nissan warranty because they expect to have to REPLACE the cv (constant velocity?) joint... :(

That on top of my badly serviced brakes and poor paint quality is bugging me!

Steve your paint seems fine to me. Whats wrong with it?

• 2 months later...

Sorry for dregding but though better than a new thread.

Recently I have been starting to hear a strange sound from the rear at low speeds. I often hear it when I pull away of when I am pulling into my street i.e. changing down into 2nd.

I also hear if it there is a slight change in acceleration i.e. I go over a hump in the road etc.

The noise I am hearing is a 1 off sound i.e. I will hear it once on pulling away and that will be it.

I have a feeling its only started since I had all the panels out in the back for sound-deadening but not 100% sure.

The sound is a sort of click/clunk.

Does this sound like the rear axle thing? Does the clicking happen all the time or is it a single click thing. My car is coming up to the end of the warranty so would need to get it in if it is the rear axle although i suspect its not as it also sounds higher too

Sorry for dregding but though better than a new thread.

Recently I have been starting to hear a strange sound from the rear at low speeds. I often hear it when I pull away of when I am pulling into my street i.e. changing down into 2nd.

I also hear if it there is a slight change in acceleration i.e. I go over a hump in the road etc.

The noise I am hearing is a 1 off sound i.e. I will hear it once on pulling away and that will be it.

I have a feeling its only started since I had all the panels out in the back for sound-deadening but not 100% sure.

The sound is a sort of click/clunk.

Does this sound like the rear axle thing? Does the clicking happen all the time or is it a single click thing. My car is coming up to the end of the warranty so would need to get it in if it is the rear axle although i suspect its not as it also sounds higher too

sounds like clicky axle syndrome :dry: