I hate the winter!

phoenix

Out of the 3 RWD cars ive owned and driven a couple others the 350Z is the most sure footed in my opinion. Everyone told me they were really tail happy and on the edge but there fine if you know how to drive, jumping on the loud pedal and brakes will unsettle the car and hurt you. I'm still running RE040's aswell which people say arent the best.

Budget tyres are sh*t, 452's seem quite reasonable so far.

452s are budget tyres on the Zed, they're just not ultra-pikey tyres i.e. Nankangs. Couple of hundred quid extra for a decent set of rubber is an absolute no-brainer as far as I can see, but each to their own and whatever makes you happy. :shrug:

452s are budget tyres on the Zed, they're just not ultra-pikey tyres i.e. Nankangs. Couple of hundred quid extra for a decent set of rubber is an absolute no-brainer as far as I can see, but each to their own and whatever makes you happy. :shrug:

They're not "budget" budget tyres, i.e no brand crap. I'll probably try bridgestone re050's next though. Bit more than a couple of hundred extra though. TBH I just wanted to try the falken fk452's going by people's ratings of them.

I need a new set of rears on mine before the winter really sets in, I'm currently running toyo proxes and I've been really impressed with them but camskills have no stock and my local tire place is really expensive. I might go with some pirelli pzero this time and see how they do

This probably is a stupid question but I had a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 2s on a Mondeo I used to own and found them to be great. Would it be illogical to assume they would work well on the Zed? And they're pretty reasonably priced in Zed sizes.

:huh:

300bhp RWD vs 100-150bhp FWD. Tyres work well on different cars, they may be awesome on one car but terrible on another. I find Yoko C.drives work really well on the stock 14's on my mk1 mr2 but i wouldnt put them anywhere near the 350Z.

We put 452's on my sisters octavia, there great on there but i just cant help but think the 350 needs a premium tyre.

To save me going out to the car does anyone have the sizes to hand? (GT Rays)

It's time to price up some new rubber all round I think. I thought that the 452's were well regarded but clearly not. Assuming 452's cost £450 for a set. What price would Vred's, MPS or 050A's cost?

It's time to price up some new rubber all round I think. I thought that the 452's were well regarded but clearly not. Assuming 452's cost £450 for a set. What price would Vred's, MPS or 050A's cost?

I just did a full set of Vred's worked out roughly 140 a corner. Was a bugger though as nowhere seems to have them in stock, got the rears from tyremen and the fronts off ebay.

Personally I am not a fan of the 452's in the winter, I had them on a MK4 Golf Gti which was pushing out 210 hbp and that was a nightmare in the cold as they seem to need alot of heat to get the grip out of them. To fair though different car but I will never take then risk now and buy them for the Z, I have saved up too long and hard to wrap her round a lamp post because of crap tyres. I really think its worth spending the extra to get good tyres, I would rather a big tyre bill rather than a even bigger repair bill if you know what I mean?!

Fronts 225/45 18

Rears 245/45 18

Drove my Zed in heavy rain for the first time since buying it today, it is a bit slippy slidey but if you're smooth and don't make any sudden movements it's not really all that uncontrollable. I only had it sideways once and to be honest I was going slow so put it down to an especially slippery bit of road :blush:

However, my zed is going on my dads drive when the bad weather hits, no way I'm driving that in ice, or leaving it on a road to be hit by other muppets. Unfortunately no 4x4 like last year now :( but I'll be crashing about in the Fiat Ducato to save the Zed!!

Roll on summer....

When I got my Zed she had Bridgestones. They were diabolical, the skid marks weren't just on the road:). Being a bit skint when it was time to replace them I went for the 452s because they had had some good reviews. Been really happy with them and only had 2 twitchy moments with them in a year, one of which was this morning. Can't really blame them though since they have done 18k miles. I checked and the tread is till legal but nowhere near new :). All I can say is when they were new, I survived the ice and snow of last Winter without incident and that was with daily use.

I have very cheap nasty tires at the mo and have never had any problems as long as I keep esp on. Concerned about the winter though if we have snow, wondering whether to change my tires early (they still have a few thousand miles left on them) or stick with them. This will be my first winter in the zed...

I hate winter too! :cold: Having slid along the m62 in the early hours during a monsoon I decided to sell my beloved zed... :scare: ...or get him some new boots...!

OMG! Didn't realise buying winter tyres was so difficult...no one seems to be able to source any for the zed, tried loads of garages until finally had success...I think! £144 for nankangs???

Then I read this thread and realised how little I knew about tyres! :wacko:

Could any of you tyre gurus out there please advise as I am clueless! Currently got some Bridgestones REO50's on the front and apparently dodgy Accelera (???) on the rear...

Have to use my zed for daily commute which is a right old mix of motorway, A and B roads, the latter often covered in lovely mud, just waiting to splatter itself all over newly washed zed... :rant:

Can't afford a second car...winter tyres or bye bye zed??? :(

I have very cheap nasty tires at the mo and have never had any problems as long as I keep esp on. Concerned about the winter though if we have snow, wondering whether to change my tires early (they still have a few thousand miles left on them) or stick with them. This will be my first winter in the zed...

Buy some part worn winter tires and take off your tyres now and put them back on in spring. IMO if I was buying winter tyres for the zed I would go with non standard sizes and drive with the tcs off. The TCS in snow or ice will get you in more trouble rather than getting you out. Some weight on the back would be good so some bags of potatoes or something like that. Lots of people drive rwd cars with no TCS with no problem its just beimng careful and realising its still cold outside. Thats my personal opionion, Im just using my 172 with some conti winter tyres.

Could any of you tyre gurus out there please advise as I am clueless! Currently got some Bridgestones REO50's on the front and apparently dodgy Accelera (???) on the rear...

Just get two RE050A tyres for the rear. That's all you need, assuming your fronts are RE050A and not just RE050.

Just how much difference would winter tyres make and which are the best ones for the 350z?

Yeah i'd be interested to see if the compound of the winter tyres makes a difference on the Ice. We put winter tyres on our rav IV last yr before heading out to a ski trip. We were driving up into the resort without chains and had no problems which was far and above what we'd expected though this was in packed snow and not ice...

When I got my Zed she had Bridgestones. They were diabolical, the skid marks weren't just on the road:). Being a bit skint when it was time to replace them I went for the 452s because they had had some good reviews. Been really happy with them and only had 2 twitchy moments with them in a year, one of which was this morning. Can't really blame them though since they have done 18k miles. I checked and the tread is till legal but nowhere near new :). All I can say is when they were new, I survived the ice and snow of last Winter without incident and that was with daily use.

Glad to hear this. I've 452s on my zed & use it daily (only car).

Looks like I have a chance of surviving the winter.

Cheers,

Geo