Best way to get a coloured lip without fighting??

SteveW

Hey folks

my wheels are badly in need of a refurb and the plan is to go gunmetal grey with a coloured lip (not on my face tho ;) )

The options as I see it are rim tape or paint. I'm thinking painting them would be best bet for life but a nightmare to get right without a perfectly round template.

Are there any other options?

I will be doing all the work myself.

If rim tape is best what is the best way to apply? I've looked but can't find any instructions on the Internet or on any of the shops that sell it.

Thank you very much

Steve

If you are going to use paint for the lips.

Refub the wheels, then put them back on the hubs.(or one at a time on one hub)

All your hubs have bearings and rotate very very evenly.(well up to 100 mph +)

Make a jig or use bricks to keep your hand that will hold an artists brush steady.

Use small amounts of paint on the brush to build up the rim thickness/width you require.

Hold the brush steady and rotate the wheel on it's bearing while applying the paint.

I have not done this on wheels but have done this on all sorts of work on lathes and on lazy suzan bearings this way.

If not confidant doing the painting straight off use none water proof marker pens or food dyes on a brush to practice.

Best of luck, always practise first.

Chris

Thanks folks, never heard of those coloured alloy wheel rim protectors before. I'll drop Husky a PM and get his opinion.

I think its probably best to stay away from the paint and go for rim tape or the wheel protectors because like Mr Biscuit says its reversible if I change my mind :thumbs:

Thanks again,

Steve

p.s. may now be going for black rims after seeing a black zed with black time attack rims.

The rim protectors were fitted to rtbiscuits car.

Rim take can come in two forms. Straight and curved. Straight goes on with a little tool that you can buy and it works well. The curved stuff just sticks on but is very easy. Ebay or a motorbike accessory shop is the place to shop if that's the way you want to go.

Have you got an oven large enough for a Ray`s wheel? Ill be round on sunday ;)

:lol: cheers Darren....i used a hairdry to bake it.

Good shout, I was about to ask how on earth you got a Rays in the oven, can't even get a 16 inch pizza in my oven has to be cut down to a 14" lol

I like the look of that technique the best I think, just can imaging masking the lip is a bit of a ball ache but at least on the rays there is an edge you can push the tape up against.

Cheers