What's the best banger for me to get?

nixy

I'm seriously considering buying a second car. Now i'm living properly on my own I can't rely on nicking my son's civic when I need to fit something in the boot from B&Q, i'd like something my parents can run around in when they visit from France and also I just need to make some savings on the huge amount of fuel i use on my daily commute. I have around £500 and have been told that a pug 306 diesel is the best bet - this must be true because they fly out when you see them up for sale on PH etc! My main worry is getting something that ends up breaking down half way to work so i need something fairly bulletproof although I don't care what it looks like. Am I better off only looking at diesels? We will be talking high milers. Advice appreciated as always.

I'd agree on the ford focus idea if you can get one or as you mention the pug. You may be fighting amongst lots of other potential buyers at this time of year though :surrender:

Don't go for something as old and battered as my 205 unless you want to get your hands dirty! Glow plug to replace this weekend...

don't want to get anything dirty - i love cars but cleaning and oil checking is about my limit! You'd never find a focus for a few hundred quid. My brother sent me a message to say i should avoid diesel as a slightly knackered petrol engine will keep going but a slightly knackered diesel is a nightmare - is that right?

don't want to get anything dirty - i love cars but cleaning and oil checking is about my limit! You'd never find a focus for a few hundred quid. My brother sent me a message to say i should avoid diesel as a slightly knackered petrol engine will keep going but a slightly knackered diesel is a nightmare - is that right?

I had a petrol Ford Focus for 9 years and did 150k miles in it. Parts replaced in that time, Brake Pads, Disks, Coil Pack, HT Leads, Spark Plugs, Oil Filters. Not one bulb failed in that time, neither was the exhaust, running gear, or suspension an issue during that time either!

I know what I'd go for. I sold my Focus for £400 and that was an X plate.

If you don't want something that will break down, avoid an old French or Italian car :lol:

The Focus or even Fiesta route isn't a bad route to go down, at least anything on those is likely to be cheap and with plenty of choice for people to do the work. I wouldn't even worry too much about it being diesel. Older diesel engines just aren't as good as they are now and the fuel consumption isn't always that much better....

Also think about Hondas, Nissans, Toyotas and the like, Jap stuff tends to go on for a while! :)

Ide avoid vw & ford soot pushers,injector pumps can be a nightmare,agree about the focus petrol but its very rare to see for £500 that are any good,search the autotrader on line,search a big area,max price£500 and private,the seach wil return hundreds. :thumbs:

Buying any shed will be a gamble as even the most reliable car will probably need major work at some point just depends if your lucky enough to get a good one :thumbs:

How long is your commute to work? I have a not very economical Diesel but I still get 35mpg on very short trips that the Zed would only get half that :surrender:

Are there any car auctions near you? Take someone that knows a little bit about engines etc and grab a bargain :yahoo:

Nissan Micra Nixy! A red one, then you can go around on a p*ssy patrol! :lol::lol:

:lol: not thinking about batting for the other side JUST yet.............

How about at least sticking with the colour then? ;)

:lol:

3179%20picc.jpg

...and you don't have to worry about rolling it too, bonus! :thumbs:

Nixy my bro has a merc elegence 1.7 diesel 1999 mot 7 mnths n 6 mnths tax n does 56 mpg at an avg speed of 60 , the back seats come out easy n lots of room , I've driven this car lots n is nice to drive but only downfall is he wants 1 thousnd pnds for it !!

Just look on Autotrader and get the Micra - they are rock solid cars cheap to insure tax and run - if your main driving is just short local trips then a diesel is'nt the best choice. Diesels are best for long trips their mog on short trips is pants in my experience - even the new ones. They generally cost more to service and take longer to warm up in winter. But if your doing high miles then get one....simples