What's the best banger for me to get?

nixy

My round trip commute is 60 miles of mixed driving. I'm not sure now, i think i'm scaring myself! I don't have a lot of spare cash and I wouldn't really be able to afford repairs - it would have to have an MOT and then just drive it until it died. Then I think that in a ten week period I spend at least £600 on fuel and I think again!

Fag Packet Maths.......

£500 shed

£200 Ins

£200 Tax

£045 MOT ?

£055 Sundries ??? = £1000

300 miles a week = 15,000 year'ish

50 mpg soot chucker about £1500 fuel

30 mpg Shell V Power about £3000 "

Saving £500 or £10 pw

The good, 15,000 less miles on the zed a year. The bad, boring drive to work ,can't fit stuff in from MFI type places .

The good, if it snows, safe zed.

:shrug: I recon it's six of one half a dozen of the other. Biggest saving being less miles on the zed, and a safe zed if snow. :shrug:

And yes the above probably does not help :shrug: ............(but it does show we think about you :p )

There are some reasonable looking sub 500 cars out there.

Problem is it might be knackered and if you dont find out till after you have bought for £500 you are pretty much stuck as I dont think dealers will waranty anything under a grand. Be suspicious of, recently changed oil & coolant ( may be hiding a blown headgasket esp on old cars ) - no paperwork to back up milage such as service book - as well as the obvious knocks, evidence of crash damage etc.

Anyhows not in your area but here are some examples of whats out there...

2.5 V6 vectra & a SAAB both with around 70k

on the economic on petrol side ( and cheap if something breaks)-

Swift GLS with 35k a 1.1 pug 106 with around the same and an Old shape Fiesta - not a looker now but a future classic with 42k on the clock you will be able to sell it for what you paid for it probably!

:thumbs:

Whatever you do, DON'T get a Ford KA. Reluctantly, I traded in my Mondeo 2.0 TDci when I got the Zed because the wife said it was too big for her to drive and she couldn't park it. She still can't park the KA, we can't comfortably get passengers in and out of the rear seats we may even have to drive it to Brussels soon so that we can carry an extra passenger if need be!!!

:bang:

Whatever you do, DON'T get a Ford KA. Reluctantly, I traded in my Mondeo 2.0 TDci when I got the Zed because the wife said it was too big for her to drive and she couldn't park it. She still can't park the KA, we can't comfortably get passengers in and out of the rear seats we may even have to drive it to Brussels soon so that we can carry an extra passenger if need be!!!

:bang:

:lol: She wanted it, she'll have to get in the back :shrug:;)

I have Renault Clio, to run around in. O.K, I admit I paid over £500 for it but that was 4 years ago. Apart from one of the rear springs breaking, common problem, it's just been a couple of tyres and a battery. I've been to Cardiff and back at least 10 times and it hasn't missed a beat. They do hold their value pretty well but I've seen a few older ones going quite cheap.

Pete