Plenum Spacer - Where? What? How much? Fitting

James B

Hey All,

As the title indicates. Looking to get a plenum spacer fitted - got quoted £285 from the lovely chaps at Abbey but being a poor person I'm looking for a way to save some dosh so I can afford a remap to.

Anyone know where is the best and cheapest place to get a decent plenum spacer? New or 2nd hand.

Also. I'm a complete muppet when it comes to DIY but anyone know how easy they are to install? Mates hnandy with things like this and wanted to know if its poss / easy to do yourself?

Cheers chaps!

J

Have a look at this and see what your buddy thinks :)

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/pag ... 2ed0973b7c

Hey All,

As the title indicates. Looking to get a plenum spacer fitted - got quoted £285 from the lovely chaps at Abbey but being a poor person I'm looking for a way to save some dosh so I can afford a remap to.

Anyone know where is the best and cheapest place to get a decent plenum spacer? New or 2nd hand.

Also. I'm a complete muppet when it comes to DIY but anyone know how easy they are to install? Mates hnandy with things like this and wanted to know if its poss / easy to do yourself?

Cheers chaps!

J

I fitted the motordyne spacer. Really quite easy to do, just follow the instructions step by step.

I bought a cycle mechnics torque wrench for torquing the bolts down - just remember that they are inch pounds and not foot pounds and you'll be fine! :thumbs:

I attempted to fit mine and got stuck with the strut bar removal :lol::lol:

(I had the wrong tools!)

Since paying out loads of money in the last 12 months, I've decided to fit things myself, if the job is simple etc.

I've now managed to go as far as fitting a lower plenum, which gave me a massive boost!! I had no screws or bolts left over, neither were there any missing!! Great feeling of managing this on my own and then onto the next modification that I can install myself :thumbs:

There's enough resource on the web, including the forum where I changed my brake pads and removed my stereo, replaced air intake. The only tip I could give is "read carefully" the instructions or guides, and take your time.

What sort of power gains do you get from a plenum + remap on an MY03?

I would talk to Abbey, think an aftermarket exhaust and y-pipe will compliment the re-map too (as well as the spacer), I wouldnt concentrate too much on what your bhp goes up to though, I want to get mine done for better throttle responce, cleaner gear changes and better fuel consumption... and obviously a bit more power :blush: , i'd be happy with around an extra 20-30bhp :) , if you believe what the manufactures say then I calculate that I will have an extra 40bhp from my mods and plus say 50 bhp from a remap :p , that will take my car to around 370bhp :#1::lol:

I may have to advertise my 370bhp 350z on ebay for £15k when its done :#1::lol:

I paid to get mine fitted, my Nephew was going to do it but was busy and although it looks easy if you crack anything or get a leak it can be a lot of trouble... Not saying don't have a go yourself if your confident, just that I wasn't :surrender:

You lazy sod..... :lol: at least you could have asked me to do it for you, I would have taken your cash..... :thumbs:

Anyway, its easy and should take about 1.5hrs. easy as pie IMO...

I paid to get mine fitted, my Nephew was going to do it but was busy and although it looks easy if you crack anything or get a leak it can be a lot of trouble... Not saying don't have a go yourself if your confident, just that I wasn't :surrender:

You lazy sod..... :lol: at least you could have asked me to do it for you, I would have taken your cash..... :thumbs:

An hour and a half !

I have much better things to do with my time, like eat a big juicy steak at the Wetherspoons nr Abbey while they fitted it :lol: , and as for getting my hands dirty :yuck:

An hour and a half !as for getting my hands dirty :yuck:

Snob.. :lol: ...I would ave done it for a ...........Pint. :doh:

What sort of power gains do you get from a plenum + remap on an MY03?

I would talk to Abbey, think an aftermarket exhaust and y-pipe will compliment the re-map too (as well as the spacer), I wouldnt concentrate too much on what your bhp goes up to though, I want to get mine done for better throttle responce, cleaner gear changes and better fuel consumption... and obviously a bit more power :blush: , i'd be happy with around an extra 20-30bhp :) , if you believe what the manufactures say then I calculate that I will have an extra 40bhp from my mods and plus say 50 bhp from a remap :p , that will take my car to around 370bhp :#1::lol:

I may have to advertise my 370bhp 350z on ebay for £15k when its done :#1::lol:

When did you get a veilside kit ;)