Staggered or Square Setup?

zero260

Im getting some new wheels for my motor but unsure on what size to go for. I am still very undecided whether to go for a staggered setup or a square setup.

If I was to go for staggered then it would be 19x10 rear and 19x8.5 front but I do fancy 19x10 all round with a 275/35/19 tyre at the back and a 255/35/19 tyre up front. Has anyone done a square setup on their car and if so how has it affected the handling? On the American forums alot of people swear by the square setup and say it handles better.

Any advice and help will be very much appreciated as I dont want to pay out for wheels and then the car handles like a bag of you know what. :teeth:

A square set up (275 wide all the way round) will make the car more neutral. Eg over steer more by reducing the front end slip when cornering. Im looking at running a 265/35 front and 275/40 rear to give me the best balance.

you can do that by dropping the front a bit or increase the camber. ;)

wrong! Rays were an option on uk cars (at least to begin with, can't be sure they didn't later become standard.) See reference to it in this article http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolong ... _350z.html. Many uk cars didn't come with rays but the standard six spokes, mine included and I prefer them. :thumbs:

Did you ignore my post saying you were right?? :p

This is swaying me towards putting 10's all round. It is all about the stance.lol

if you go for a square setup you'll need to get the Geo altered to set the car up best for handling. the Geo alterations will hopefully put back in some of the steering control and grip change you'll get from the new setup.

Excuse my ignorance but I take it the same would apply in reverse then? I would need the geometry adjusting if I ever went from the oem square setup to a staggered one? If that's the case you are saying cars left the factory with different geo setups depending on whether they had upgraded to Rays or not? That's useful info to know if true.

Excuse my ignorance but I take it the same would apply in reverse then? I would need the geometry adjusting if I ever went from the oem square setup to a staggered one? If that's the case you are saying cars left the factory with different geo setups depending on whether they had upgraded to Rays or not? That's useful info to know if true.

i thought the Zed came with a staggered setup from the factory. i know the rays are staggered, so were the 19" nismos and the gt4 wheels.

were the stock oem sizes a square setup?

i would have thought the car would be set to the wheels. all systems would have to be set up once the cars built as each car is different.