Drinking oil...problem?

Simmo

Just a quick query, I bought my Zed about 4 months ago and since then it has consumed nearly 5l of oil. I check regularly as I do long weekend motorway drives but Im pretty sure this doesnt represent normal running consumption!

Had a quick look myself and cant see any leaks, or obvious puddles on the drive after its been left overnight. What sort of consumption would you guys expect, and are there any common faults that could be causing this?

Had a look through the forum already but apologies if this is a repeated thread.

Car has covered 57k from new, 7-8k of those being mine in the 4 months Ive had it. Put some nice fully synthetic Mobil oil in recently, will change that after reading some of the helpful threads in here :thumbs:

Getting a full service this Sat hopefully theyll find a loose plug or something, rather than the engine falling to bits :blush:

Car has covered 57k from new, 7-8k of those being mine in the 4 months Ive had it. Put some nice fully synthetic Mobil oil in recently, will change that after reading some of the helpful threads in here :thumbs:

Getting a full service this Sat hopefully theyll find a loose plug or something, rather than the engine falling to bits :blush:

Isn't it supposed to be part synthetic? Fully synthetic is too thin i think???

Most use fully synthetic 5w-30 or 5w-40.

As above 5lt in that kind of mileage is very high, the 296bhp engines were renowned as the oil drinkers, but even then not to that level.

Abbey will certainly be able to help with the map, and maybe also with the oil problem. If I understood correctly, the oil drinking problem on the 06 engines can also be cured by a swap of the piston rings (not a small job, but if its a real issue, as seems to be the case here it may be worth considering).

You may also wish to check your seals around the sump and the oil filter for leaks, as that seems an awful lot of oil to simply burn off.

If you work out the cost it's about 0.5p per mile .... I'd say live with it before you do anything major to the engine

what's the pressure at idle and at 2000 revs ?

check out the emissions ......... that will tell you if the oil's getting passed the rings (high emissions at higher revs) or down the valve stems (high emissions at idle)

It`s a strange one, as my 54plate has never needed a drip over the last 40k I`ve done in it, but you hear others that use a fair amount of oil, Alot of the Audi engines drink oil in the handbooks it states that upto a litre of oil consumption over 1000miles is perfectly normal :scare: although I have not heard of this sort of consumption on zeds but its not necessarily a huge amount over 8k. My mazda drinks nearly a litre every 1000miles, :drunk:

Well obviously it has the low oil warning light :scare: , not good to see

depends on the car, some cars are setup so the warning light comes on as the engine seizes, others the light comes on well in advance so you have plenty of time to top up.

Just taken it for the service, mentioned the oil problem...they rang me back and said theres oil all over the plugs and engine. They said it needs to be taken to a main dealer sharpish and they havent done the service! Ill be taking it to the Nissan garage in Portsmouth, not sure if its worth taking it somewhere else for a second opinion if anyone knows anywhere good? :thumbdown:

With the 350Z, if the oil light comes on then it is unfortunately to late. :scare:

Worst case scenario, if you requre a new engine:

PMZMANALEXSMILEY16102010.gif

Sorry guys but I could not resist, I am so weak. :blush:

Seriously, I sincerely hope that it is a cheap fix but if you require any help then just give me a shout. :)

Oil on the plugs,may be a ring,would not drive it far if attall,either way it sounds major.surely there must of been more signs,that much oil in the pots it must be running bad or smoking,could also be the head,if your mechanic has to send your moter to a main dealer he imo should not be working on it,hope it gets sorted.