Drinking oil...problem?

Simmo

Just taken it for the service, mentioned the oil problem...they rang me back and said theres oil all over the plugs and engine. They said it needs to be taken to a main dealer sharpish and they havent done the service! Ill be taking it to the Nissan garage in Portsmouth, not sure if its worth taking it somewhere else for a second opinion if anyone knows anywhere good? :thumbdown:

Simmo, let's just take a wee step back here:

If the oil is on the electrode part of the spark plug then indeed you do have a serious problem.

However, if it is a case that when they removed the plugs and the plug "stem" was oiled up then that is an easy fix as the cam box cover oil seals will be the issue.

Alex.

Just got the car back, they reckon the piston rings are knackered (technical term) so its burning the oil off ridiculously fast. Quoted me £1000+ for full repair but they believe its drivable as long as the oil is constantly checked.

The staff are ex-Nissan, and they said that Nissan quote 1l oil per 100 miles driving as acceptable losses.

I know this has been discussed before but I read on another site that fully synthetic oil will require topping up more often as it is less viscous and will be burnt off quicker, making non or part synthetic a better option for me?

They also said that it will degrade the cat, thats not a problem atm as Im considering getting Abbey MS to change it anyways:).

Any advice as to whether I should pay to get it fixed fully?

Ide consider a re-con engine or a low milage salvage engine,i will cost a min of 2k but they may strip yours down & find other problems,re-the oil ide ditch the 5-30 & put some semi syn 10-40 in, the fully syn will at the mo be to thin & p**s through the rings.