Plenum Spacers - Project

MattMe

Hiya folks.

Some of you may remember a while ago I posted a thread asking if anyone would be interested in purchasing a high quality plenum spacer kit made by myself.

For those that don't know a plenum spacer is a common mod in the 350z world. It's a simple installation with very few tools required, and can be carried out by most with a little confidence and a couple of hours spare. It offers improved airflow over the front two cylinders (which in standard cars suffer from lack of air) resulting in improved performance and economy.

I've been working out pricing with a friend I know who could manufacture the parts for us. The spacer would be water cut aluminium (higher quality finish than common laser cutting) at 5/16th inch, not requiring any other modifications to the car, very similar to known brands.

The only problem I'm facing so far is the fact I would need to make up (and sell) 12 to make it cost affective, based on the purchase of the aluminium and time involved in designing/producing the product.

If 12 people were to put their names down as being interested I should be able to get these out for around £100, including gaskets bonded to the spacer, and all required fittings, nylon spacers, bolts and fitting instructions.

We'd probably be looking at a month from getting 12 names to allow time for making test units, fitting and trialing on my own car before I'd be happy to sell any.

There are still other factors for me to price in, but ideally at £100 I can cover our expense of design, manufacturing and testing. I'm sure you can appreciate at this price I won't be making a huge profit and would mainly to provide a one-time offer and a cheaper alternative to the forum users and myself :) I'm not out to make a quick profit, but offer a fairly priced product.

Any thoughts, opinions or questions, please ask. I'm not very knowledgable in this area myself, but the people I know certainly are, and so I can happily pass on any queries from potential buyers.

Mods - I know there's been a thread recently concerning trader memberships and selling items n the forum. In this case would I be expected to pay the traders fee? Happy to do so, just wanted you to know I hadn't over looked it. :thumbs:

Cheers,

Matt.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd be interested in this mate, was gunna get a motordyne but if these work out as good I'd be happy to take one :thumbs:

One thing I can confirm already is that it will work as good as a Motordyne once I'm finished testing. I've examined one closely and they are very basic designs that perform a simple function, and as they have already found out the 5/16th depth is most suitable and mine will replicate this. The main difference will be the water cutting process I will use will provide a better finish. (Although that won't make it perform any better!) Otherthanthat they will be very similar through necessity.

2 down, 10 to go!

12 is quite a lot, but with as many members as this forum has I'm hoping it's possible...

Heard people having problems with small leaks etc. Not gonna commit until it's all confirmed good

never heard anyone having problems with the actual piece of kit as in the spacer, leaks with gaskets and other those types of thing I've heard of allright.

Mattme, what types of gaskets are you planning on using for the middle part of the spacer? The 6 bolts centre top. Seen a few different types there, think that nylon might be the best.

Mattme, what types of gaskets are you planning on using for the middle part of the spacer? The 6 bolts centre top. Seen a few different types there, think that nylon might be the best.

I'm only planning on producing the basic spacer type kits, nothing fancy like the thermal options that Motordyne offer (which go under the lower collector, so requires more parts removed for fitting). I suppose I could look into it if it's something people are interested in, but that would definitely be extra cost, and my main priority was keeping costs down.

Looking on the Motordyne site, they seem to recommend the Thermal spacer for hotter climates where the temp doesn't often drop below freezing, so nit sure if it's even worth it in the UK. Worth 1-2bhp based on not losing that hp through heat soak. I don't think it'll be worth the development and manufacturing costs if I'm honest.

Heard people having problems with small leaks etc. Not gonna commit until it's all confirmed good

Totally agree with you here, that's why I'll be doing all the testing on my own car. I won't be even thinking about selling anything until I'm happy it's safe to use and works as expected. Personaly I've not heard of anyone having leaks with the plenum spacers. Is that Motordyne equipment? My guess it that it would be a gsaket not fitted properly.

The spacer it's self will be one piece alluminum water cut around the edges and skimmed to be perfectly flat, so the theory is it will form a perfect seal, especially with gasket paper on there too.

Looks like you got a very handy little list there already! :thumbs:

1, ma'z'y

2, Jed

3, mc

4, Neilp

5, 350 Russ

6, Daryl

7, gazhull8474

8, marcuscollings

9, chippychip123

10, James B

Get it done, and hope that most of the ^ will get on in the end :disguise:

That's great news, I never expected such a good response in such a short space of time.

Seeing as so many people are interested already I'll start further research this weekend.

If the list goes beyond 12 I can look into producing more, but not sure if it would mean another 12...

Thanks to everyone for your interest so far.

Mods - I know there's been a thread recently concerning trader memberships and selling items n the forum. In this case would I be expected to pay the traders fee? Happy to do so, just wanted you to know I hadn't over looked it. :thumbs:

Cheers,

Matt.

and noted, please get in touch with anyone from the team, so we can sort things out :)

i'll defo take one assuming it works all good...what could possible go wrong!

Will fitting instructions be included?

Thanks everyone for your interest!

Mark - yes I'll write up some good fitting instructions once I've trial fitted on my car, explaining step-by-step.

I'll ring my guy tonight and see if we could possibly produce more than twelve (but less than 24!).