Lubing your seals

rtbiscuit

This is something i was never really aware of when i had the zed as no one really spoke of it; so my guess is no one has really done it or thought of it. Since i've been over on S2KI.COM i've learnt a few things that might be useful for Zed owners.

This is the latest thing i've found out.

as winter approaches and the wet weather increases lots of S2K owners use a silicone grease and lube up all the seals. these are the seals around the softtop and where the window meets the roof. it helps to plump up the rubber keeps the rubber nurished and helps it do its job better.

those who are struggling with leaky windows may find that this along with a window reset my help cure the problem as the windows seal the same on both cars. it will also prolong the life of the seals and make them more effective.

i've just bought 2 14g tubs of super lube which should see me good for several years.

hope this helps others

i bought this stuff

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

lads on the other site only tend to do it once a year, but no harm in being more frequent. others have said if your using the spray put it direct onto the cloth then rub in.

only needs a thin film so 30g should last a very long time.

doesn't have to be this stuff, any silicone grease will do stuff from diving shops is mena tto be good.

looks like good stuff, anything is a good idea. one of the big debates on the other side was should you use the honda reccomended shin-etsu grease. its now very hard to get hold of and very expensive.

general consensus over there was any silicone grease will do, so why pay over the odds for shin-etsu.

Also repels water preventing ice forming sticking the rubber to the car. I used to use vasaline!

Vaseline sounds a bit risky.

If it can deteriorate the rubber in JIMMY HATS not sure how it reacts to door seels :lol:

someone tried it on s2ki and it made the windows not shut properly. had to open the door to get them to shut properly

Fair point vasaline aint to good for other "rubber" - so I think you are probably right on the not too good for long term use...

I was using on an old renault 5 GT "deathbox" so rubber seals deteriating were the last of my worries... the lack of safety features and crumple zone being more worrying! :headhurt:

Now im off to pulse and cocktails to get some "door seal lubricant"..... :group:

i got bored of all the subtle digs at my new car, so i thought i would change my avatar to something subtle :lol:

Well if you would get yourself a hairdressers car. Plus you are probably on here more than the S2K forums :lol::p:lol:

i'm on both equally, but more happens here in the green room