Call Yourself A Man?! Video now on Page 4

geoff-r

I'm suprised that nobody has asked this yet, but what happens if the night before climbing the tower you had a curry?

How much of a crater would an average sized human poo make after falling such a height?

I need answers to those questions dammit :lol:

I'm afraid I have just given this quite a lot of thought. Although I am unable to calculate the terminal velocity of a poo I doubt it would be much more than 100 mph, but then again, at that height it might be quicker due to lower pressure at height and would therefore slow down as it reaches the earth. This leads to other questions like "how aerodynamic is the poo?", "what percentage is the water content and therefore what is the consequent mass of the turd?". Either way, it would make a splat, and would possibly hurt depending on consistency.

Have I thought about this too much?

On a 12 ounce poo I've worked out the terminal velocity is 32m/s, or about 71 mph. I am taking 12 ounce as a "mean poo" but you can increase/decrease the speed if you thinks yours weigh more/less. Therefore, the impact force on the ground from 1700 feet is 2000-2500 Newtons.

I've not included variables for density or aerodynamics. This poo is solid and it's on a mission. :thumbs:

Now, I hear you say, WTF does 2500 Newtons feel like. :surrender:

Well, 12 ounces is twice the weight of a cricket ball so the "impact" would be similar to the world's fastest bowlers hitting you with twice the force of their fastest deliveries (Deceleration and friction means "90mph" deliveries reach the batsmen at 65-70mph)

Given all the above, I'd suggest the hard hats that were poo-pooed earlier are indeed an essential accessory. :disguise:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see some serious thought going into this, I'm impressed!

Now, due to the extreme height and windresistance, it would eventually become more aerodynamic during it's descent. Like when a parachutist goes from spread-eagle to all limbs to the body and speeds up.

So surely the poo would speed up.

Also, the gas build up that gives the poo the initial acceleration should be taken into account.

There must be a difference between just letting it drop as opposed to it being fired out.

Nice to see some serious thought going into this, I'm impressed!

Now, due to the extreme height and windresistance, it would eventually become more aerodynamic during it's descent. Like when a parachutist goes from spread-eagle to all limbs to the body and speeds up.

So surely the poo would speed up.

Also, the gas build up that gives the poo the initial acceleration should be taken into account.

There must be a difference between just letting it drop as opposed to it being fired out.

When you say the poo becomes more aerodynamic do you mean it will lose its structural integrity? In which case, the decreased mass may have an impact upon the terminal velocity also.

The initial acceleration of the poo will have no effect upon the terminal velocity I don't think.

I'm suprised that nobody has asked this yet, but what happens if the night before climbing the tower you had a curry?

How much of a crater would an average sized human poo make after falling such a height?

I need answers to those questions dammit :lol:

I'm afraid I have just given this quite a lot of thought. Although I am unable to calculate the terminal velocity of a poo I doubt it would be much more than 100 mph, but then again, at that height it might be quicker due to lower pressure at height and would therefore slow down as it reaches the earth. This leads to other questions like "how aerodynamic is the poo?", "what percentage is the water content and therefore what is the consequent mass of the turd?". Either way, it would make a splat, and would possibly hurt depending on consistency.

Have I thought about this too much?

On a 12 ounce poo I've worked out the terminal velocity is 32m/s, or about 71 mph. I am taking 12 ounce as a "mean poo" but you can increase/decrease the speed if you thinks yours weigh more/less. Therefore, the impact force on the ground from 1700 feet is 2000-2500 Newtons.

I've not included variables for density or aerodynamics. This poo is solid and it's on a mission. :thumbs:

Now, I hear you say, WTF does 2500 Newtons feel like. :surrender:

Well, 12 ounces is twice the weight of a cricket ball so the "impact" would be similar to the world's fastest bowlers hitting you with twice the force of their fastest deliveries (Deceleration and friction means "90mph" deliveries reach the batsmen at 65-70mph)

Given all the above, I'd suggest the hard hats that were poo-pooed earlier are indeed an essential accessory. :disguise:

Blimey, that's a lot of physics. I haven't done physics for years. Please keep this somewhat layman as I am rather hungover and my head hurts :drunk: ----> :headhurt:

If you learn to defecate in the perfect teardrop shape by careful contraction of the sphincter muscles combined with digesting the correct foods to maintain a solid shape during descent, I reckon 70mph is about right. :thumbs:

IANAS

With regards to aerodynamics, this is factored in my analysis above, even though I didn't know it at the time. I have re-read my thesis and found contemporaneous notes to support this. :wacko:

Yes, the poo could increase its acceleration by becoming more aerodynamic on its descent (like a sky-diver or a peregrine falcon) but shape-shifting poo, albeit one on a mission, is too much for me to contemplate. Particularly with the Pope around. :evil:

Thanks for the support of my hypothesis Professor Ekona. I think we can now take 70mph to be empirical and properly documented in accordance with scientific method such as is applicable to this particular field of inquiry.

Perahps we could all now concentrate on Doctor Bullet-Magnet's original dubiety, namely the effect of said "motion".