I have started Wing Tsun Training

Demolition49

On my way home last week i saw martial arts training banner for "wing chun"..... (thats the one bruce lee mainly used)

I have been looking in to it for a while now and ive always wanted to do martial arts!

I wasnt sure what to expect when i arrived at the place felt a little out of place and the people have some talent there, so fast its unbelievable, looks like this is going to take me years of practise before i could ever actually use it!

There are some vids on youtube from master wong wing chun who seems very good, based in ipswitch, if you look at his lessons he is very good.

Those who are interested check it out!

http://masterwong.tv/

There are lots of different wing chun schools around the UK and now ive done a bit im really addicted :teeth:

Dont laugh at his accent hes good...

watch at 4.27...

Well anyway let me know if any of you are interested or already wing chun masters :lol:

my mate has being doing this for past 10 years and goes abroad to train every year.

It's pretty funny and elegant to watch, best game is to play 'try hit me' when we go out - it's literally impossible to hit the guy and like swinging at a mosquito!

That's when you learn Muay Thai so that when he block's or palms, you break his arm and ribs and send him across the room :)

Why don't these people spend their free time finding solutions to their problems, rather than fighting them?

:fishslap::hypocrite:

Its not for attacking or violence, it is for self defence, fitness and wellbeing, wing chun is a way of life not a form of aggression, somtimes you are forced to protect yourself in certain situations.

my mate has being doing this for past 10 years and goes abroad to train every year.

It's pretty funny and elegant to watch, best game is to play 'try hit me' when we go out - it's literally impossible to hit the guy and like swinging at a mosquito!

That's when you learn Muay Thai so that when he block's or palms, you break his arm and ribs and send him across the room :)

I dont believe one style is better than the other, but a mixture of martial arts should be used to improve the weaknesses in the techniques used... wing chun is very good with the hands but i think thai boxing is good with the legs, i think it also depends on the level of each competitor.

I know, I was only playing. ;)

It's impressive to watch (no sound at work, or they'll know what I don't do all day). It's also fun the watch Mr. Wong on his TV show on that website. Made me grin.

Seriously though, it does look like something out of the Matrix. Go throw some ninja shapes! Hi-yah!

Bet it takes 4 or 5 lessons till you get to his level of self-defence. Have yo consedered buying some pepper spray? Loads easier :lol:

If you want to see a fictional film purely about Wing Chun then watch IP Man, this is about IP Man (Yip Man) who was the guy who trained Bruce Lee.

Some of the fight scenes are amongst the best of any martial arts movie. Best bit is when he takes on 10 guys in the Japanese Dojo...the speed of the guys hands is amazing.

They tried to secure rights to make IP Man 2 based on when he was training Bruce Lee but they could never get the rights to make it, so IP Man 2 was set after the first film when he moved to Hong Kong. But only seen a copy with very very bad subtitles which make absolutely no sense, but still watched it...

My mate phoned me all excited as he had downloaded IP Man 3 which is actually set before the first film where he either discovers Wing Chun or forms it, can't remember which, not seen it yet.

Its more acurately romanised as 'Wing Tsun'. Martial arts types can get a little funny when you can't even spell the name of the art you're studying. :rant::lol:

FYI You'll find you need to train / practice 4-5 times a week to develop anything thats slightly usable (i.e in a fight). When somone throws a punch at you, you need to be 'unconscious competant' or you (like me now) end up flinching like a spaz or throwing windmill punches.

Link explains all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_competence

Enjoy grasshopper! :)

Second the lots of training thing.

I did Mudo TKD and a bit of Hapkido i think It was about 4 years before I would have classed myself as competant-ish. And another 2 before I could give the instructor a run decent for his money. (I remeber the day I first got him properly! :teeth: all I got was a "well done" - then he kicked my arse across the floor...)

something went pop tho so my kicking peoples heads days are well gone :headhurt:

Practice Practice Practice... :thumbs::boxing:

Its more acurately romanised as 'Wing Tsun'. Martial arts types can get a little funny when you can't even spell the name of the art you're studying. :rant::lol:

FYI You'll find you need to train / practice 4-5 times a week to develop anything thats slightly usable (i.e in a fight). When somone throws a punch at you, you need to be 'unconscious competant' or you (like me now) end up flinching like a spaz or throwing windmill punches.

Link explains all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_competence

Enjoy grasshopper! :)

Thanks mate, i know that you have to practise frequently i have a thai friend who i train with in the gym and practise what we learnt at the wing tsun lessons :teeth:

i also have heard of ip man and "unconscious competence" .... but i think that will take years to master! So better get started!

Also i did know you can spell it "tsun" but wasnt sure which to use, now i know :thumbs:

At the risk of possibly upsetting a couple of people.....

If as you say you want something that is about self defence you are wasting your time. The fitness and well being, I have no doubt you will get from wing tsun, but self defence you will not get. Something that really annoys me is traditional martial arts preaching they are good for self defence, convincing susceptible people that they are investing time and money in something that will be effective should an aggressor attack.

The early UFCs were a huge wake up call to many martial artists as it was possible to see effective techniques and those not so effective. UFC 5 in particular saw wrestler Dave Beneteau v Wing Chun Master asbel Cancio; the fight lasted approx 30 seconds with Cancio being brutally beaten (the fight is on youtube if anyone is interested titled "Wing Chun (Ving Tsun) In MMA" - thought it not appropriate to link it). There are plenty more examples like this.

The reason I use the example of the UFC is because MMA (mixed martial arts - sometimes referred to as cage fighting) is the closest thing we have in combat sports which resembles a street fight. Therefore if something works in MMA against a trained athlete then you can be sure it works on the street against your average drugged up idiot. Incidentally it is widely regarded that the best base for any MMA fighter is wrestling. It is also the most physically hard sport I have trained and competed in.

This is not me saying MMA or wrestling is "better" than any other combat sport / martial art, you will get something different from them all - it just depends on what your priorities are. If the well being that you mention is more important than self defence then carry on. If the confidence knowing you are learning something that would be effective in self defence outweighs the spiritual aspect you may gain from another martial arts then get yourself down to your local MMA / wrestling / muai thai / BJJ club. I'll be happy to point you in the direction of a reputable place near to you.

Again if the wing chun way of life as mentioned above is what you are looking for then please forgive my mini rant!

If as you say you want something that is about self defence you are wasting your time. The fitness and well being, I have no doubt you will get from wing tsun, but self defence you will not get. Something that really annoys me is traditional martial arts preaching they are good for self defence, convincing susceptible people that they are investing time and money in something that will be effective should an aggressor attack.

The early UFCs were a huge wake up call to many martial artists as it was possible to see effective techniques and those not so effective. UFC 5 in particular saw wrestler Dave Beneteau v Wing Chun Master asbel Cancio; the fight lasted approx 30 seconds with Cancio being brutally beaten (the fight is on youtube if anyone is interested titled "Wing Chun (Ving Tsun) In MMA" - thought it not appropriate to link it). There are plenty more examples like this.

The reason I use the example of the UFC is because MMA (mixed martial arts - sometimes referred to as cage fighting) is the closest thing we have in combat sports which resembles a street fight. Therefore if something works in MMA against a trained athlete then you can be sure it works on the street against your average drugged up idiot. Incidentally it is widely regarded that the best base for any MMA fighter is wrestling. It is also the most physically hard sport I have trained and competed in.

This is not me saying MMA or wrestling is "better" than any other combat sport / martial art, you will get something different from them all - it just depends on what your priorities are. If the well being that you mention is more important than self defence then carry on. If the confidence knowing you are learning something that would be effective in self defence outweighs the spiritual aspect you may gain from another martial arts then get yourself down to your local MMA / wrestling / muai thai / BJJ club. I'll be happy to point you in the direction of a reputable place near to you.

Again if the wing chun way of life as mentioned above is what you are looking for then please forgive my mini rant!

i really have to disagree that wing chun is an ineffective way of protecting yourself, at competition level you can never say one style is better than the other it is my belief it is a combination of things...

fitness, strength, speed, accuracy, technique all play an important roll, who ever has the best combination can win, to say wing chun techniques are ineffective against muy thai i think would be wrong...

there are people out there at different levels, and the most talented wing chun master will obviously defeat an intermediate muy thai so its not a fair comparison... it is all about who is at a higher level, that is my belief, i also believe each fighting style has its weaknesses... no one style is better than the other and that is why bruce lee used a mixture.

I've done Wing Chun for 4 years and to compare it with an MMA enviroment is simply ludicrous!

It really boils down to how WC is taught and how it can be applied in the real world enviroment.

You will find given all the tools and technique you will take a handful of what is most useful for yourself and utilise that the most given the need

Oh the hardest thing you will struggle with in WC is to switch off tension/relaxing your arms in chi sau!

Having studied Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Capoeira and BJJ over the years (please don't assume I'm anything other than crap at these martial arts btw...) I'm in agreement with pretty much everything you said here. Although, I do think for self defence alone Wrestling and BJJ are perhaps just as limited as Wing Chun in a real life street fight - perhaps even more so.

In a "street fight" on the ground is the very last place you want to be (unless your attacker is alone perhaps). You are so vulnerable to attacks from the other guys mates, girlfriend etc etc who could so easily smash a chair or bottle over head while you're choking him out in a triangle hold. And you wouldn't even see it coming...

For me if I was interested in getting back into martial arts purely for self defence purpose's it would be Krav Maga & Muai Thai + BJJ.

That being said, I've seen and heard some of the things my old Karate Sensei could do in a street fight and he was utterly lethal.

Personally Wing Tsun is a bit too "flowery" for me as a martial art. At an expert level I am sure in a street fight you would be able to defend yourself with ease.

There are some vids on youtube from master wong wing chun who seems very good, based in ipswitch, if you look at his lessons he is very good.

Those who are interested check it out!

http://masterwong.tv/

I know this guy personally, and he doesn't just teach Wing Chun.

He has developed an effective direct fighting style called Intercept, which he teaches local law enforcement.

One should practice Wing Chun for it's morals, not for how effective it is in a fight.

Having studied Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Capoeira and BJJ over the years (please don't assume I'm anything other than crap at these martial arts btw...) I'm in agreement with pretty much everything you said here. Although, I do think for self defence alone Wrestling and BJJ are perhaps just as limited as Wing Chun in a real life street fight - perhaps even more so.

In a "street fight" on the ground is the very last place you want to be (unless your attacker is alone perhaps). You are so vulnerable to attacks from the other guys mates, girlfriend etc etc who could so easily smash a chair or bottle over head while you're choking him out in a triangle hold. And you wouldn't even see it coming...

For me if I was interested in getting back into martial arts purely for self defence purpose's it would be Krav Maga & Muai Thai + BJJ.

That being said, I've seen and heard some of the things my old Karate Sensei could do in a street fight and he was utterly lethal.

Personally Wing Tsun is a bit too "flowery" for me as a martial art. At an expert level I am sure in a street fight you would be able to defend yourself with ease.

4 years on and I am still doing Capoeira purely for the cultural aspect of it and it nothing else it is a very demanding art and it the only thing that switches me off from the outside world once you get in the Roda!

I am a 3rd dan in Wado-ryu karate, and hold dan grade in jiu-jitsu, and studied Wing Chun for 5 years. Its an exceptional martial art, if in doubt watch "IP MAN" bruce lee`s teacher and Sifu.

What is it your trying to prove by saying watch that film? It's a film.....do I need to say more?

I studied martial arts for about 4-5 years a while back (left because of an injury... playing with fireworks as lads do went badly) and never picked up again -

However, at the risk of sounding a bit thuggish and blunt, theres lots that i managed to take away from it -

Mainly learning how to hit someone. Ok it sounds a stupid thing to say, but i mean, really hit someone. Everyone can throw a punch, but having the knowledge of standing even a slight chance of blocking something and giving a blow back that more or less promises to finish it gives you enough time to evade.

Its something ive been meaning to get back into for a year or so now, but finding the right club for me has proved difficult... all different styles, types and methods all have their own, unique pro's (and cons) however ultimately, for me anyhow leaning even just a few basic techniques (arbeit doing them over and over 3 times a week for 4 years) ultimately gave me an edge incase i ever ended up in such an unfortunate circumstance. A real good average-joe street fight is usually ended with one good punch.

Most of my close friends from my teens and I train in various styles. Some TKD, a couple southern praying mantis, kung fu, kickboxing etc.

A few years ago we went on a stag do to Lithuania and to cut a long story short the night ended with us leaving a club with about 20-30 locals waiting outside who had a disliking to "non caucasians"

We numbered 11, and 7 of us train.

Once we got home and reflected, despite all the different styles, under these circumstances we all fought a similar fight to escape.

Simple hand techniques, with only 2 kicks thrown between us.

The non trained friends lacked the "calm/awareness" of the rest ( I remember one of the locals would tug at his jeans before throwing a kick :lol: ) often rushing in at the wrong time at the wrong groups of yobs to get knocked down. I remember dragging one friend off a yob he had ended up ontop of moments before a couple of locals rushed him from behind.

Despite 20yrs training at the time, I didn't have that natural "killer streak" like some of my mates to really "damage" some of the attackers but was calm enough see what was happening not just to me but to "back up" others that ended up on the ground.

Also getting hit alot in training means you're not phased as much by glancing blows in reality.

Can't comment on how it would have been in a 1 to 1 as I'm lucky enough to never have been in a real 1 to 1 encounter

Wing Tyun, Wing Tsun, Wing Chun - all variations or different lineages. I have been training Wing Tyun for a year now and actually have a grading later today. I have studied Karate, Thai Boxing, a little Aikedo and a few others when i was younger. I have to say that there's always going to be a difference of opinion on this subject, but for me i find this training to be completely practical and certainly the best self defence training I've ever seen. I'm hooked on it, I normally put in between 6 and 10 hours training per week. I would say that after a year i feel like I'm just about getting somewhere, it takes a long while to develop the right muscle structure for this unique style and its starting to come together. Its very rewarding.

Good luck with the training bud :thumbs: