The beginning, middle and end - a 350z Evolution

Muddy

The beginning, middle and end – an evolution

I’ve finally got the car back to some respectability, so thought I’d pop up a thread showing the progress of my 350z over the last 2 years.

I purchased the car in October 2008, a standard UK 2004 model.

Here’s the only pics I have of her in it’s standard guise. The day after I started to strip her down.

350z_001.jpg

350z_002.jpg

350z_003.jpg

So on the second day the modifications began, I had to be ready for beginning of April ’09 for the start of the show season as I was going to unveil the car at Autoglym’s Best in Britain Competition.

After nearly 6 months of hard graft, blood sweat and tears I finally got the car exactly how I wanted it. I didn’t spare on anything, I had done 12 months research before hand, making sure I had the best bits and modifications for the car.

With one day to spare I got the car ready for the ISTS show for Best In Britain.

Sadly I didn’t win anything. Apparantly it got a little heated during judging and maybe even a little political and I left with nothing even though I was told I was shaved to the top spot by only a few marks.

I did feel a little dejected as I’d put a lot of work into the car, but I kept on with the car and 2 weeks later entered Autoglyms Best in Scene competition at Modified Live. I was competing with almost the same guys that I was with at ISTS but this time I came top and won Best in Show. :teeth:

From this show on I didn’t look back, I spent as much time as I could getting the car as clean and shiny as possible, this resulted in the following accolades in 2009:

ISTS - Autoglym "Best in Britain" - Finalist

Modified Live - Autoglym "Best in Scene" - Best of Show

Modified Nationals - Autoglym "Ultimate 25" Finalist - Special Acknowledgement for Best Presented Car

Japanese Tuning Show - Autoglym "Top Japcar Concours" - Best of Show

Bromley Pageant - Autoglym - "Ultimate Challenge Trophy" - Best "Ultimate Exterior"

JapShow - Autoglym - "Japshow Show & Shine" - Best of Show

JAPS - Best Modified & Best of Show

Zedfest - Best 350z & Best Car of Show

The car was garaged for winter and nothing extra was added during the close season. (Which was very unusual for me).

2010 brought even more accolades:

Modified Live, Oulton Park - Kleers "Best in Scene" - Best JDM

Rising Sun Car Show - Best Nissan & Best of Show

Japanese Tuning Show - Autoglym "Top Japcar Concours" - 2nd Place

Japshop - Autoglym - Best of Show (Retained title – first time this has happened in Japshow history)

Petrolheadz - Autoglym - Best of Show

To say that I’m happy with the cars success is an understatement, my aim was to beat my previous cars accomplishments on the National stage. This was some mean feat as the Subaru was one of the most successful Japanese show cars in the UK.

The Subaru won 16 National trophies in 2 ½ seasons. But only 6 Best of show.

The 350z has won 14 National trophies and 8 Best of shows in only 2 years. So by my reconing it has done better than the Subaru. :#1::#1:

And as a long time entrant in National Show and shine competitions I can quite safely say that the 350z has become one of the most successful winning cars in the last 10 years. B)

Not bad ehh!!

The car has also graced the odd magazine or 2.

Front cover of Japanese Performance Magazine

Feature in Fast Car Magazine

Large feature in Total Nissan Magazine.

Plus a picture here and there in most of the mags almost every month.

So here’s some pics of how she was in here prime:

japperfmag1.jpg

japperfmag2.jpg

japperfmag3.jpg

japperfmag4.jpg

japperfmag5.jpg

I tend to think that Show cars have a 2-3 year life span, after that they either need a radical facelift, which means more money or they get tiresome and a bit monotonous when you see them time and time again at shows.

For me I normally keep them for 3 years, but this time around and especially after the huge success I’ve had with the car I’ve decided to call time after 2 years.

So last Month the car was stripped of all it’s modified parts and sold on (Some parts are still available, have a look in the for sale section)

This weekend I finally got it all back together as a standard car…..well not quite standard :teeth:

It has cost me almost £2000 to get it back to almost stock, but it still boasts a pretty good Modification list:

Engine: Polished pipe with HKS ltd edition red filter

Asi-performance aluminium radiator

Japspeed K2 polished Exhaust

Samco Red Coolant and Ancillary hoses

Gloss Black pleneum

Gloss Black Engine cover

Di-noc carbon wrapped strut brace

Red Grounding kit.

Suspension: FK lowering springs (30mm drop)

Wheels: 18†Inovit sparkle Black alloys

Kei Black wheel Nuts

Exterior: Motorgrade carbon roof overlay

Motorgrade carbon a pillar replacements

Varis Carbon B pillars

Custom black handles

Smoothed rear quarter (Aerial removed)

Custom black badges (No silver anywhere)

Smoothed front bumper (number plate holder holes)

Interior: Custom black anciallaries in interior

Sparco Foot Pedals

Di-noc Carbon Centre Console

Di-noc Gear surround

Di-noc Door switches

Di-noc Door Inserts

Di-noc vent Covers

Di-noc steering wheel controls

Di-noc Sill plates

Custom red leather gear gaiter and handbrake gaiter

ICE: Kenwood KDC W3037 MP3 Receiver

So here she is as she stands now – the end of the story, the end of an evolution.

new350z3.jpg

new350z5.jpg

new350z12.jpg

new350z15.jpg

new350z21.jpg

new350z30.jpg

new350z31.jpg

And that’s it………

She will be up for sale soon too.

Cheers

Craig

Such an amazing car, still looks amazing too. You should be proud :D.

I saw her in this months total nissan and felt quite sad, this car was what made me fall in love with the 350z. Glad i got to see her in the flesh at JTS Silverstone 2009.

So, whats next?

Whatever it is, good luck :)

well done mate was truely an amazing car and as ive said to you before with all the parts you've sold you've probably made 10 show cars out of your one! now thats saying something BIG well done mate :#1:

Thanks to everyone again :blush:

And Taddy saw pics of yours at Trax, it's looking mighty fine, sir B)B)

You realise Craig that this month provides a fitting tribute to your car - even another 'award' I would suggest ;)

What 'award' is this? Will have to search the forum and have a look :D

Have a look at your (very special) calendar ;)

• 2 weeks later...