European Road Trip 2010 Video

trackpig

Cheers

It was a great trip. We all felt that Stelvio Pass was too tight for it to be a true driving road- its very scenic and a great place to stop to check out the views but there are better driving road in this country. The roads either side of Stelvio were more flowing and we managed to open the cars up there!

As for the autobahns and autoroutes, it was great sitting in our Z (and vx) convoy and really motoring at a decent pace.

I want to do it all again.

Great vid's and photos, you took in some nice scenery there! Love the vids on some of the roads. Epic video on the ring! Noticed there where no girls in the cars in any of the photos though (around the ring) B)

Any drama? How did the girls feel doing the trip? (good to know if I can talk my gf into going on a trip) :D

:drunk: Jelaous!

The girls were in the cars on the ring some of the time. My girlfriend even drove a lap in the Z!

The other ring laps are here:

We try to go to the nurburgring every year but this time we wanted to make a longer trip of it. Thats how we ended up going down to Lake Como. The girls loved the sound of it- everybody wins.

The 350z really is a very good car for this sort of thing, its a great compromise. It can cruise at high speed all day in comfort but is still very good at the ring. It is a little soft and rides high for track work but I am not going to start modding.

Before the Z, I had a e36 m3 evo which got more and more track focused but its road manners were compromised.

The MNR is all the track car I need!

As for problems-

One of the Z's generated a throttle position sensor fault which we reset.

One had fairly bad brake judder at the ring (ds3000 pads and new ebc discs) but now seems ok. This may have been pad transfer or its just that road driving is not putting as much heat into the brakes and the problem is not showing up.

My car's airbag light kept coming on- this is related to the passenger seat being folded forward to access the luggage. I took the service manual with me so I took in some light reading one night and read how to reset it. I also had the clutch pedal go down to the floor at the top of Stelvio Pass which I was quite concerned at! The clutch gets worked hard going up there and it started getting spongy and finally hit the floor! I let the car cool down in the parking area right a the peak while I thought about what was going on (Ive heard that the clutch cylinders can be weak on the z's) After 15min the pedal started to feel alittle better. I drove to Davos with it in the back of my mind that I had not changed the clutch fluid.

That evening in the hotel car park in Davos we all helped out and changed the clutch fluid while drinking a refreshing beer. The old fluid was very dirty and had prob never been changed from the factory. The clutch then felt fine and took on the rest of the trip without a problem.

Thoroughly enjoyed that vid - hope the other 'alf when she sees that will agree our next trip to the Lakes should be by road - just need a back-up truck for her clothes and handbags :doh:

Thanks for sharing with us :thumbs:

The girls were in the cars on the ring some of the time. My girlfriend even drove a lap in the Z!

The other ring laps are here:

We try to go to the nurburgring every year but this time we wanted to make a longer trip of it. Thats how we ended up going down to Lake Como. The girls loved the sound of it- everybody wins.

The 350z really is a very good car for this sort of thing, its a great compromise. It can cruise at high speed all day in comfort but is still very good at the ring. It is a little soft and rides high for track work but I am not going to start modding.

Before the Z, I had a e36 m3 evo which got more and more track focused but its road manners were compromised.

The MNR is all the track car I need!

As for problems-

One of the Z's generated a throttle position sensor fault which we reset.

One had fairly bad brake judder at the ring (ds3000 pads and new ebc discs) but now seems ok. This may have been pad transfer or its just that road driving is not putting as much heat into the brakes and the problem is not showing up.

My car's airbag light kept coming on- this is related to the passenger seat being folded forward to access the luggage. I took the service manual with me so I took in some light reading one night and read how to reset it. I also had the clutch pedal go down to the floor at the top of Stelvio Pass which I was quite concerned at! The clutch gets worked hard going up there and it started getting spongy and finally hit the floor! I let the car cool down in the parking area right a the peak while I thought about what was going on (Ive heard that the clutch cylinders can be weak on the z's) After 15min the pedal started to feel alittle better. I drove to Davos with it in the back of my mind that I had not changed the clutch fluid.

That evening in the hotel car park in Davos we all helped out and changed the clutch fluid while drinking a refreshing beer. The old fluid was very dirty and had prob never been changed from the factory. The clutch then felt fine and took on the rest of the trip without a problem.

Kudos to the GF to go with you let alone take the car out on the ring :thumbs: Loved the left handers when all of a sudden there was alot of blond hair floating in front of the camera :lol:

FAIL on the Honda Tshirt... take it the indo is on the left hand side on UK Zs... Does the Z not have tensioners on the seatbelt? Or are you driving without :scare: Looks a bit strange that one, mine tense the seatbelt so you sit solid in the seat, finally on youtube clips = TSC on or off? (thought I saw some flashing lights there...)

Interesting regarding the clutch fluid, something that I've overlooked also might be worth to replace, I got a braided line so that'll go in at the same time. Some trip... those 10£ cameras do the job!

A :drunk:

Petrol cost? :lol:;)

I'll have a look through the tunnel vids. The problem with the spy cams I was using is the wind noise you get.

If there is any useable footage, i'll post it up.

put some tape & or some cottonwool works a treat, they self adjust when they hear noise (lowering) so the wind noise will ruin everything :(

Trackpig, just out of curiosity, are you required to provide some form of Track Insurance?

I was chatting to a bloke at Adrian Flux insurance and mentioned something about Nurburgring Motor Sport providing such insurance. Just wondered if it's a requirement or not?

Cheers

Trackpig, just out of curiosity, are you required to provide some form of Track Insurance?

I was chatting to a bloke at Adrian Flux insurance and mentioned something about Nurburgring Motor Sport providing such insurance. Just wondered if it's a requirement or not?

Cheers

Insurance is the big problem with the Tourist days at the ring.

Alot of insurance companies specifically exclude cover on the nurburgring in their terms and conditions. Other companies with still try to recover any claims from you even if nothing was mentioned in the term and conditions. Trackday cover is no good as a tourist day is not a trackday.

To sum it up, you need writen confirmation from your insurance company that they will cover you in the event of an accident on a tourist day but dont hold your breath.

I dont know of any UK insurance companies that will cover damage to your car, the track and anyone injured by an accident.

I drive on a standard uk road policy- this is ok and the german police will be happy with this but I dont expect to be able to make a claim if it all goes wrong.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 0Insurance

Thoroughly enjoyed that vid - hope the other 'alf when she sees that will agree our next trip to the Lakes should be by road - just need a back-up truck for her clothes and handbags :doh:

Hope you have more success than me, been trying to persuade Jane to drive to Italy for the last four years without success, keep trying never :surrender:

Great vids!

And you made the crossing on my ferry!! (I work on the Maersk Dunkerque, although just renamed Dunkerque Seaways)

WHere abouts it North East you from? There is a NE meet coming up in a few weeks....

Hope you have more success than me, been trying to persuade Jane to drive to Italy for the last four years without success, keep trying never :surrender:

June said she will fly there and back with some luggage and meet me there (she knows how I like to drive on anything with a few bends in it ;) ) - I'm very tempted :teeth:

The only issue is whether there will be enough room in the car to bring back her purchases :doh:

How much did you spend on petrol if you dont mind me asking, i've done long car trips like this the last 2 years but always taken a diesel, would be interesting to see how much it'd be in the Zed.

It cost just under £500 all in for petrol ( thats fuel for the Nurburgring added in).

The ferry was £60.

£560 for travel for 9 days for two people is not too bad.

Great vids!

And you made the crossing on my ferry!! (I work on the Maersk Dunkerque, although just renamed Dunkerque Seaways)

WHere abouts it North East you from? There is a NE meet coming up in a few weeks....

Come on then, how can you tell which ferry we were on from the vid? I think you are right by the way!

I am in Sunderland, I'll have a look in the North east section for the meet details. :thumbs: