350Z gearbox

japmadlad

glad to hear it. you got any info for me?

The search is terrible on this forum. Put in 350z gearbox & it brings up every single post that exists which contain any of the letters & numbers you searched for :doh:

Hahaha, try searching topic titles only. But yeah I know what you mean.

:scare: People run that on standard gearbox, will see if I can find any figures somewhere.

no fella still researching. Z box looks to have its shifter fairly far back compared to SR but need to have them side by side really & measure.

Power wise say 430 bhp

torque say 410 ft/lbs

Standard is a strong box but it does have issues with lazy synchro, especially 4th to 5th and 3rd to 4th when giving it b@stardos

i believe the weak synchros are actually 5th, 6th and 2nd normally

mistake ... I should have said that :surrender::blush: .... but it's not a big problem anyway IMO

Standard is a strong box but it does have issues with lazy synchro, especially 4th to 5th and 3rd to 4th when giving it b@stardos

Weak in what way? That they expolde & need rebuild or that they are slow to engage when pushing it on & really just annoying but liveable?

mistake ... I should have said that :surrender::blush: .... but it's not a big problem anyway IMO

its a pretty huge problem unfortunately, now the general zed population is racking up more miles, more and more gearboxes are failing and needed replaced entirely. If they arent too bad they can be refurbed though so not a complete loss. im not trying to be the doomsayer of the zed gearbox but if it IS faulty then its not a cheap fix.

Weak in what way? That they expolde & need rebuild or that they are slow to engage when pushing it on & really just annoying but liveable?

Spot on ........ liveable ... I quite like it TBH

from personal experience, annoying but liveable at first, it makes changing gear difficult as you need close matching shaft speeds not to crunch, untill they give up and its almost impossible to change gear without crunching.

There are many perfect boxes out there though :thumbs::thumbs:

what i'm looking at is putting a Z33 box im my S15 to replace the SR 6spd as the SR boxes are weak. idealy i'd like to keep 6 gears ( hence Z33 ) but it is gona cost $$$$ to do conversion & if the Z33 box has problems i'd be better off doing RB25/Z32 as it is cheaper to do & box is fairly bulletproof.

what i'm looking at is putting a Z33 box im my S15 to replace the SR 6spd as the SR boxes are weak. idealy i'd like to keep 6 gears ( hence Z33 ) but it is gona cost $$$$ to do conversion & if the Z33 box has problems i'd be better off doing RB25/Z32 as it is cheaper to do & box is fairly bulletproof.

I'm out .... you've gone way beyond my knowledge :surrender: ..... good luck :thumbs:

conversion is simples really :teeth:

there are 2 options:

1. Custom adaptor plate to fit between engine & bell housing

2. Get the welder out & mate the SR bell housing to the chosen gearbox (RB25/Z32/Z33)

Both also require a custom prop shaft ( Carbon Fibre :D )

&

depending on you clutch/fly wheel setup you may require a change of either/or or just clutch release bearing. I'm sorted with this as my orc ogura clutch & fly is happy in the Z box/RB box/SR box etc

I tried searching on MY350Z for you but the search there is awfull.

There were a few posts mentioning uprated gearboxes at 450bhp and 750bhp but couldnt see anything about the stock box. Wonder if Alex runs stock?

Stock box Ian and no issues. :)

Regular fluid changes with Nissan's finest and a dash of Molyslip. :thumbs:

I tried searching on MY350Z for you but the search there is awfull.

There were a few posts mentioning uprated gearboxes at 450bhp and 750bhp but couldnt see anything about the stock box. Wonder if Alex runs stock?

Stock box Ian and no issues. :)

Regular fluid changes with Nissan's finest and a dash of Molyslip. :thumbs:

Hi Alex,

Can you give us a bit more info about your us of Molyslip? E.g. Where it's applied, how often etc.

Cheers,

Geo