somewhere to camp / stay in France?

UNABASHED

I'm looking at taking the other half away for a couple of days in August, wonder if any of you guys can give me some advise or recommendations?

She wants us to go camping in Wales but thought I'd suprise her with something a little different.

It has to be cheap as we have given up a proper holiday this year to help fund a house by the end of year, so would be pointless spending lots of money!

Would prefer it to be driving / camping as we just bought a crap load of camping gear for going to Scotland later on in year anyway.

so what do you think? I toyed with the idea of driving over to France for a few days, but having never been there not sure what it is like for camping and don't know any places over there.

I'd suggest camping in Belgium, more to see in a smaller country. Thing is with France you've got to do some miles to get anywhere near something nice.

If Belgium doesn't take your fancy try Holland?

I can't recommend camping sites, although I'd avoid the northern part of France.

We're going to the Loire valley and then stopping off in Normandy on the way back. Think the Loire is central and meant to be very nice. We booked last year when we got back from our last holiday as good campsites book up quick. Have a google for French campsites. Look at the pics. And then search to see if any reviews are about. Sites linked wiu places like eurocamp and other places tend to ne good. Just. A research job.

we just got back from driving to france to go camping!

We stayed in a place called Le Brevedent and it was just south of La Havre. Beautiful campsite and well worth a visit!

check out the camping and caravan club for recommendations, there is loads of sites over there

Thanks for the idea's guys, going to go through them today to see whats what.

We're going to the Loire valley and then stopping off in Normandy on the way back. Think the Loire is central and meant to be very nice. We booked last year when we got back from our last holiday as good campsites book up quick. Have a google for French campsites. Look at the pics. And then search to see if any reviews are about. Sites linked wiu places like eurocamp and other places tend to ne good. Just. A research job.

Loire Valley is a bit further than I wanted to go, puts about an extra 800-1000 miles to the journey I was thinking off which is a fair wack in petrol!

not thought of the eurocamp places before as I thought they had a reputation for being a bit rowdy - I'll check them out as well.

Thanks for the idea's guys, going to go through them today to see whats what.

Loire Valley is a bit further than I wanted to go, puts about an extra 800-1000 miles to the journey I was thinking off which is a fair wack in petrol!

not thought of the eurocamp places before as I thought they had a reputation for being a bit rowdy - I'll check them out as well.

Eurocamp are far from it mate, very family orientated.

Honfleur is worth a try, it is an amazing French fishing port, only about 2 1/2 hours from Calais on the autoroute but there are some pretty good coast roads! We make it a stop off each year on route to Le Mans. Get on google maps and look at Sec Camping. I guarentee it will win you some man points!!!