Am I being picky?

Bockaaarck

Ok guys as a few you may remember I had a load of students run over my car a couple of months ago damaging the bonnet, headlight, roof, spoiler etc. Finally, with much to-ing and fro-ing I finally got the car in to a bodyshop for the repairs to be done.

I got a call from the bodyshop on Friday saying the work was done and the car was ready to pick up. So I scooted over to them to pick up the car and was really looking forward to getting back in it and driving it (they've had the car since the begining of June).

When I checked over the car it looked great, the painwork had been blended really well and I was pretty chuffed with the result. Then as I looked more closely I picked up a couple of issues which I wasn't happy with. There was a touch of primer overspray on the front bumper, probably a dozen spots or so.

More important was the fact the front bumper had not been re-seated correctly, leaving a significant gap between the bumper and light unit.

Pic taken a couple of months ago

light5.jpg

Pic taken on Friday (drivers side original light)

lightry.jpg

Pic taken on Friday (passenger light unit replaced

light2l.jpg

There's a significant gap left between the bumper and light mounting.

Then there's this...

Damaged rear wing taken a couple of days after the damage was done, also showing the 'Zed' badge on the tailgate.

badge1b.jpg

Mmm, they seems to have blended the roof and tailgate ok, looks pretty good. The wing looks pretty good as well, looks like they've done that ok.....Mmm I don't seem to remember that badge being there?

badge2.jpg

I was told that they had to remove the Zed badge to repaint the tailgate, which makes sense. Then I was told that Nissan no longer stock or have the Zed badge, so they replaced it with the Nissan burger.

Now I asked them where the old badge was, as they must have done something with it, but there was no sign of it. I don't object to having the Nissan badge on the car, after all it is a Nissan, but it's not the badge that was on the car when I dropped it off to them for repair

I have told the bodyshop that I wont be taking the car back as it is and told them to sort the primer overspray, get the bumper re-mounted correctly and have also asked them to source a replacement Zed badge and fit it to the car or I won't be satisfied the repair is complete. If they sort all these issues out it would then restore the car to the condition it was in prior to the damage being done and prior to the car being dropped off with them for repair.

I think I'm entitled to get the car back in a condition at least as good as it was before going in to the bodyshop. I also think that if they could not get access to the same type of Zed badge they should have at least called me and indicated there was a difficulty. Then I would have been able to given them instructions as to how I wanted the issue dealt with ("Ah ok, I think I can get hold of one, what if I drop it of to you?..." or "Ok, don't worry about it, fit the badge you have, I'll sort it out later..." etc)

So am I being unreasonable or not guys?

Sounds perfectly fair to me, and you did the right thing by not accepting the car back. :thumbs:

+1. You could drive you missing Z badge through that bumper gap..... :lol:

:lol:

That made me chuckle, thanks for the responses guys.

I don't want to be picky or be awkward and as you've said tez the primer overspray is pretty minor, a good claybar and that should be sorted. However; when I think about it I don't feel that's really the point. If I accept the car as is then they can wash their hands of it. The bumper isn't fitted correctly and I certainly want that sorted. The badge issue in the grand scheme of things is also minor but it's a matter of principle.

The badge they've fitted is not the one that was on the car when I dropped it off. If they couldn't get hold of a Zed badge then surely at least a phone call is required - "Sorry, we can't get hold of a Zed badge and we're not allowed to order parts from anyone other than Nissan, but we have kept the badge for you"

I don't expect to deal with the hassle of sorting this out myself, having handed the car in to an 'Insurance Company Approved' bodyshop. I don't know, maybe it's just me, why is it so difficult to get people to do things properly these days?

i think that's totally unacceptable! How dare they just stick another badge on the car without asking you first! Your car should come back to you perfect or at least with changes that you have agreed to!

i think that's totally unacceptable! How dare they just stick another badge on the car without asking you first! Your car should come back to you perfect or at least with changes that you have agreed to!

Well you'd hope they would at least get in touch.

If they said they had removed the badge to respray the tailgate but then couldn't then put it back, however they had kept the badge fair enough. I could then find ways of putting the badge back myself, althought that would be a hassle, I'd be happy with that.

When I spoke to them on Friday it seems like they had no idea where the badge was but that everything was ok though as I had a new Nissan badge on the back of the car......"Ermmm, No :thumbdown: ..."

My front bumper looks like that :blush:

Your not being picky though, The Z badges don't come from the dealers though so thats probably why they couldn't get one - still no excuse for losing your original one though :thumbdown:

No you're not being fussy. You don't need or want a gap like that around the lights. Should be returned to how it should be. Perhaps, they need a few pics to remind them of what it should be like. ;)

I wonder if someone flogged the badge, so you got landed with the normal boring burger.

ps. The overspray is easy enough for them to remove.

Thanks again for the further responses guys.

The car is still with them and I've emailed them a list of the things I sorted out and have been polite and fair with them. I'm going to call them later and ask them about the badge situation, try and pin down exactly what they can do about it.

I'm sure I'll get it sorted, just a bit of hassle that I don't need really. However I did make it clear to both the insurance company and the bodyshop that if I wasn't happy with the work, I would want them to recitfy it. So they've had fair warning really.

Cheers,

Bock

I would guess that they damaged the badge when removing it and chucked it away........

Mmm you could be right.

Having spoken them again it appears that the guys would have got some kind of worksheet to indicate the tailgate needed respraying On the worksheet it indicated a new tailgate badge had been ordered so they would naturally assume (I suppose) they were good to go on the respray. They would have removed and thrown the old badge away and got on with the job

Now I guess I could do either of the following in these circumstances

Speak to the insurance company and tell them what's happened and that I want the cost of a new badge taken from the excess paid on the repairs. Then I pick up the car with the Nissan burger and get a new Zed badge at a later date and remove/replace the Nissan burger witht the new badge myself (bit of a hassle).

Or I could call the insurance company as above, explain the situation (cost of badge etc), then call the bodyshop and just tell them to remove the Nissan burger now, which will save me doing it. Then when I get a replacement badge it'll be easier for me to fit. I don't know how easy it is to replace on of those big badges, I can imagine it's a pain the arse.

Mmm have to think on this.

Bock

Suprised you even took it out of the bodyshop... keep at it...

Hi andlid, the car is still with them luckily, I'm currently talking to the insurance co, explaining the situation to them.

Made my mind up, I'm not going to accept the car in it's current state, want them to sort it out properly :)

Suprised you even took it out of the bodyshop... keep at it...

Hi andlid, the car is still with them luckily, I'm currently talking to the insurance co, explaining the situation to them.

Made my mind up, I'm not going to accept the car in it's current state, want them to sort it out properly :)

Good man! :thumbs: And you're getting a loan car in the meantime YES? :D