You need hands (engineer career)

Husky

im doing two jobs at the moment so one minute im one and the next the other so it gets very odd switching back and forth :wacko: but it makes it even more apparent when im doing this pointless stuff :shrug:

Overqualified to be a mechanic which is what we all want to do :lol:

i have a mix between the 2; but to be honest i'd rather do less marking and planning and more making.

when i was at school everyone pushed you to go and do a degree, and that you'll never amount to anything without one. looking back with hind sight i find this very wrong; and now with my own students i try and encourage both an academic and a practical option.

i have a mix between the 2; but to be honest i'd rather do less marking and planning and more making.

when i was at school everyone pushed you to go and do a degree, and that you'll never amount to anything without one. looking back with hind sight i find this very wrong; and now with my own students i try and encourage both an academic and a practical option.

I remember my Mum attending a careers thing at my school and a woman standing up and saying 'any degree is better than no degree'

My parents don't believe that. My Dad left school with no qualifications - didn't even sit his exams and well, he hasn't done badly for himself. Hard work is very under rated at the moment.

I left school with very little knowledge of where I wanted to be with a regards to career. I knew I didn't want to go to university as I was too immature and couldn't be bothered studying, so i became an apprentice building service engineer and with lots of hard work I won various awards in Britain, got accepted into the chartered institute, qualified with 4 different qualifications, electrical, commercial gas installer and servicing, air conditioning and refrigeration (ventilation) and plumbing. Now that I've matured a bit I'm now back doing a degree in building service design and energy management. One thing i can say is that I absolutely love my job, I'm getting paid for doing this just now lol. But I genuinely love what i do and have targets set for the next 5 years to get me where I want to be.

I remember my Mum attending a careers thing at my school and a woman standing up and saying 'any degree is better than no degree'

My parents don't believe that. My Dad left school with no qualifications - didn't even sit his exams and well, he hasn't done badly for himself. Hard work is very under rated at the moment.

both my parents were the same, although they supported me with what ever i wanted to do. i felt i needed a degree so thats what i did. and due to the high level of writing involved and study i really struggled. i wish i'd gone off and done an apprenticeship. although i've landed on my feet and i'm good at what i do and i still get to work in the workshop. i make up for what my job lacks in by doing projects at home.

both my parents were the same, although they supported me with what ever i wanted to do. i felt i needed a degree so thats what i did. and due to the high level of writing involved and study i really struggled. i wish i'd gone off and done an apprenticeship. although i've landed on my feet and i'm good at what i do and i still get to work in the workshop. i make up for what my job lacks in by doing projects at home.

I went against the grain and went to Uni at 16! :lol::lol::lol:

Dad still says he would never employ me as I 'know bugger all' though! Out of all his employees I doubt any have degrees. All the Engineers etc have worked up from the workshop. I think the financial director has a degree but even the Engineering Director is a hands on guy that's now in an office job.

I went to uni like most and today i think i subconsciously use my university degree quite often. It''s not somethign direct like i use the forumla i learned (have since forgotten) but for example i just know what an ECU is and how it works underneath without asking anyone, something i take for granted but if i think back, i learned it in uni.

i think thats the advantage of having something like cars as a hobby it gives you that release your not getting from work.

i think the down side is when you turn that hobby into a career it can take the shine of it as your doing it all the time.

bit liek eating to many sweets or ice cream. in small doses its great but you can get sick of it if you have too much