PROS & CONS of the FAIRLADY

Baino

I'm in the process of purchasing a Z car and have come across the odd import. Can someone just run me through the Pros and Cons of buying a fairlady over the UK model please?? I understand the import will be cheaper as it often puts potential buyers off but why??!

Having recently traded my UK standard for an import I can honestly say I am not disappointed and I am still discovering buttons and gadgets (and trying to learn Japanese :lol: ).

I've mainly driven it in automatic but as its triptronic I've also briefly tried manual and what a bonus :thumbs: Didn't think I would like auto in it but I do (does this mean I'm old :scare: ).

My insurance was £50 odd extra so no biggie either

I'm in the process of purchasing a Z car and have come across the odd import. Can someone just run me through the Pros and Cons of buying a fairlady over the UK model please?? I understand the import will be cheaper as it often puts potential buyers off but why??!

Bainoman is that you!? How's the hunt going?

Not really Im no more expensive on a fairlady than a uk. Also the imports have more character and usually stronger engines. :thumbs:

i'm interested to know what facts you base this on as they run the same engine?

+1 and what do you consider to have more character between the two?

:shrug:

isnt insurance one of the big issues, more expensive to insure the jdm.

Not really Im no more expensive on a fairlady than a uk. Also the imports have more charecter and usually stronger engines. :thumbs:

A lot of impoort cars have stronger enginers and firmer suspension than there UK coubnterparts, unfortunately the zed is not one of these :p

Bainoman is that you!? How's the hunt going?

YES YES tis I the Bainoman... Slowly getting there with the purchase.

Thanks to all for the help!

Not really Im no more expensive on a fairlady than a uk. Also the imports have more character and usually stronger engines. :thumbs:

If you look about you will see that imports usually have a few more bhp when dynoed and remapped. I think because they are used to running on 100ron.

Also the import has more charecter, square rear plate, square front plate. Folding side mirrors, dipping side mirrors on reverse. Some stuff in the engine that arent there on uk engines. The writings also in japanese so it looks much cooler. JDM for the win.

If you look about you will see that imports usually have a few more bhp when dynoed and remapped. I think because they are used to running on 100ron.

Also the import has more charecter, square rear plate, square front plate. Folding side mirrors, dipping side mirrors on reverse. Some stuff in the engine that arent there on uk engines. The writings also in japanese so it looks much cooler. JDM for the win.

I feel I should disagree.

IMO the square plates make it look like an import (ie a cheap 350z -oooh, controvesy) and I'm pretty sure all 350z have folding wing mirrors. My UK certainly does.

What is this 'some stuff in the engine' you speak off? Crank? Mine has one too :p

And the Japanese writingdoesn't look cool, it looks hard to read if you're English.

Do you own a JDM by any chance?

JDM's have quieter exhausts as standard they also have a different air intake tube with an extra widget to make it quieter as well. JDM's are difficult to diagnose and repair as a lot of garages don't have the appropriate OBDII software. Most OBDII software doesnt work with them. most JDM's don't have leather. JDM's are speed limited to 115 mph

wow i wish i bought a jdm :lol:

• 1 year later...

Do the 350Z imports suffer the same problem as the 300ZX imports in that the diff and gearbox cooling isnt upto the european prolonged speeds, I had a problem with a import 300ZX TT in which the auto box seized solid, i was told by a zed expert that the import 300's are dying in droves because of this problem. the uk spec car had what they called the autobahn pack ie uprated cooling.

As I know from bitter experience this can be a very very expensive fact to miss out on.

The only thing the JDM has that i'd like to have on my UK GT is the dipping mirrors on reverse. But thats really not worth the extra insurance cost and other things that would bug me like the limiter (even if I won't go faster) clocks in KM etc.

Do the 350Z imports suffer the same problem as the 300ZX imports in that the diff and gearbox cooling isnt upto the european prolonged speeds, I had a problem with a import 300ZX TT in which the auto box seized solid, i was told by a zed expert that the import 300's are dying in droves because of this problem. the uk spec car had what they called the autobahn pack ie uprated cooling.

As I know from bitter experience this can be a very very expensive fact to miss out on.

My 03 import manual has probably seen more diff/clutch/gearbox abuse than most and is sweet as a nut :)

OBD reader works with my car though, dont know where you are getting that one from rtbiscuit - Ive also seen 160+ on the clock ......... hows that 155mph limiter youve got BTW?? :p

The geometry of the JDM cars is different, and theres a rumour they ride a little harder - theres very little in it having driven both though. I prefer cloth seats and a lot of the JDM cars have pretty cool aftermarket stuff too - Ive got a dogs danglies stereo and speakers, Nismo dials and a momo steering wheel which are all nice :)

My 03 import manual has probably seen more diff/clutch/gearbox abuse than most and is sweet as a nut :)

OBD reader works with my car though, dont know where you are getting that one from rtbiscuit - Ive also seen 160+ on the clock ......... hows that 155mph limiter youve got BTW?? :p

The geometry of the JDM cars is different, and theres a rumour they ride a little harder - theres very little in it having driven both though. I prefer cloth seats and a lot of the JDM cars have pretty cool aftermarket stuff too - Ive got a dogs danglies stereo and speakers, Nismo dials and a momo steering wheel which are all nice :)

I apparently have the 155mph limiter, but speedo went up to pretty much 170 on a recent trip to Germany (sat nav recorded 156mph top speed).

• 7 months later...

Not really Im no more expensive on a fairlady than a uk. Also the imports have more character and usually stronger engines. thumbs.gif

I feel I should disagree.

IMO the square plates make it look like an import (ie a cheap 350z -oooh, controvesy) and I'm pretty sure all 350z have folding wing mirrors. My UK certainly does.

What is this 'some stuff in the engine' you speak off? Crank? Mine has one too 1.gif

And the Japanese writingdoesn't look cool, it looks hard to read if you're English.

Do you own a JDM by any chance?

makes it look cheap??? its the same car, if you want to pay an extra £5000 to have rectangular number plates then thats up to you, i just went down to the stealer and paid £80 for the brackets.