the two bucket method

Biggy

So as you may have heard the two bucket method of washing your car being mentioned. So here I have made a quick 'How To' for you.

1st rinse the car off with a nice light stream of water. This helps to remove any light bonded materials and lubricate the bodywork:

CarWash11.jpg

Then prepare the 2 buckets. the first bucket you have clean fresh water and a grit guard, the RINSE bucket, then in the second your normal wash solution, and another grit guard if you choose, the WASH bucket.

CarWash09.jpg

CarWash12.jpg

Now every time you go to dunk your wash mitt back into the wash solution, first dunk it into the clean water bucket, dragging the mitt across the grit guard to release and dirt particles, trapping them at the bottom, and also removes the dirty water from the mitt.

CarWash15.jpg

CarWash13.jpg

By the end of the car your wash bucket should have little water left, and your rise should be about the same.

CarWash16.jpg

Now here is the main reason why you should use this method.

The water in the wash bucket will stay clean throughout the washing process, so you will only be washing your car with clean lubricated water:

CarWash17.jpg

CarWash18.jpg

The Rinse bucket on the other hand will contain all the dirt matter removed from the car, and buy rinsing your mitt in the water after every pass, you are reducing the chance of swirl marks and scratches.

CarWash19.jpg

CarWash20.jpg

Here comes the noob question: where is the bucket to rinse the car?

I normally:Wet the car, have 1 bucket with shampoo, soak the mitt clean one panel, "twist" the mitt so all the water come out, soak the mitt in the bucket with only water in it and rinse the residues of shampoo from the panel.

I jet wash the car.

Wash the car using mit/lance with brush attachment.

Rinse car of soap with jet wash.

I could maybe incorporate the 2 bucket option - as I was suprised and the rubbish at the bottom of the bucket. Might be worth a try! :thumbs:

They are specially designed brushes which are extremely soft - I've only used it a couple of times only as my pressure washer wasn't working properly and would only allow me to jet spray.

Looks like I shall bin the brush just in case!!

They are specially designed brushes which are extremely soft - I've only used it a couple of times only as my pressure washer wasn't working properly and would only allow me to jet spray.

Looks like I shall bin the brush just in case!!

Its not the brushes themselves that will scratch the paint, its the dirt they are moving around and pushing into the paint. MF cloths and dedicated wash mits are designed to attract the dirt up into the pile and away from the paint, so you arent dragging it over the paint - thus stopping it scratching the paint. Brushes just push dirt around and worse, push it against the paint :headhurt:

Aahh that was I was missing! Unfortunalty I can park on the road in front of the house, no hosepipe for me :thumbdown:

I don't have access to a hosepipe either but I find that a watering can works well instead. My neighbours must think I'm crazy when they see me watering my car every week!

Aahh that was I was missing! Unfortunalty I can park on the road in front of the house, no hosepipe for me :thumbdown:

I don't have access to a hosepipe either but I find that a watering can works well instead. My neighbours must think I'm crazy when they see me watering my car every week!

Very good practise aslong as the can is clean. The rose from a watering can is one of the most delicate ways to rinse a car.

I have 2x 5 litre bottles and use those to wet the car before I start cleaning.

BIGGY: Sorry i didn't mention it before, good write up

:thumbs: