Slight Rev

Demolition49

Im not sure if my clutch is slipping or what but anyway...

I noticed a while back on the motorway cruising at 50mph - avg speed zone (cruise controll on in 6th)

When it finally came to an end i dipped the clutch and changed in to gear... BUT as soon as i dipped the clutch i heard the revs go up slightly before going back down untill i change then release clutch and everything is normal again...

Now every time i change gear if i really take extra care and stare at the revs i can see they go up, more so when im accelerating hard and then dip clutch. (MY FOOT IS COMPLETELY OFF GAS) it goes up slightly before settling back down.

What is this? I hope nothing is wrong... ive got 1 year warrantee but i would hate to not have my Z and trust nissan monkeys to fix it

I noticed a while back on the motorway cruising at 50mph - avg speed zone (cruise controll on in 6th)

When it finally came to an end i dipped the clutch and changed in to gear... BUT as soon as i dipped the clutch i heard the revs go up slightly before going back down untill i change then release clutch and everything is normal again...

Now every time i change gear if i really take extra care and stare at the revs i can see they go up, more so when im accelerating hard and then dip clutch. (MY FOOT IS COMPLETELY OFF GAS) it goes up slightly before settling back down.

What is this? I hope nothing is wrong... ive got 1 year warrantee but i would hate to not have my Z and trust nissan monkeys to fix it

Check to see if your 350 has the rev up engine, standard through 2005 and some 2006, dependent on first registartion.

Check to see if your 350 has the rev up engine, standard through 2005 and some 2006, dependent on first registartion.

My car is the mid-life Z. It has the rev up its an 06 with facelift bumper, what does this have to do with it revving when dipping clutch

Just under 15k miles...

Engine management I feel is the issue, not necessarily major though, can be reset/remapped by any grunt who knows what he is doing but don't be afraid of the dealer if you have a warranty. You can always ask for diagnosis only if you think there going to sting you.

Give em a whirl!!

:drive1

Thinking again could also just be a sticky throttle, again a job for someone who knows... located in intake plenum I beleive but don't quote - as they say in the airforce root cause - a little bit of poverty.

Worth a go, also let them know you know whats what.

:thumbs:

Sounds pretty normal to me from what I can remember of my 350z. Remember the throttle is drive by wire so even if you get off the throttle, that doesnt mean the ECU will decide to close it ;)

Can sombody drive thier Z and pay attention to the revs in particular when driving full throttle and then release and clutch down to confirm its not just me... i can hear the engine rev higher and feel it rev through the clutch, just doesnt seem normal to me, maybe a little but mine is quite pronounced when accelerating hard.

Engine management I feel is the issue, not necessarily major though, can be reset/remapped by any grunt who knows what he is doing but don't be afraid of the dealer if you have a warranty. You can always ask for diagnosis only if you think there going to sting you.

Give em a whirl!!

Not any grunt can remap the 350z ECU, only 2 companies in the country that can currently remap the ECUs. :thumbs:

Give em a whirl!!

Not any grunt can remap the 350z ECU, only 2 companies in the country that can currently remap the ECUs. :thumbs:

Point taken, I did mean a grunt with the right equipment... You can buy the said unit from the US and alter your management to suit, just plug and play via the OBC port. But the mapping unit though hand held will set you back $500 , dealer has access to this equirpment via diagnostics. :drive1

Give em a whirl!!

Point taken, I did mean a grunt with the right equipment... You can buy the said unit from the US and alter your management to suit, just plug and play via the OBC port. But the mapping unit though hand held will set you back $500 , dealer has access to this equirpment via diagnostics. :drive1

Think you need to do a bit more reading and research ;) If your on about COBB then they dont work on UK cars..... Only proven sucess on UK cars is Osiris Revup and Haltech and they have been mapped by professionals that know the Zeds. Zeds dont really like to be messed with and Nissan did a good job of making it hard to find additional power on a stock car :)

Done a reset, the problem remains, next thing to do is clean the throttle body, i will do this when i get some free time on wend :thumbs:

Do it carefully.... Just try not to touch the butterfly... there is a guide on youtube I think, (did you do the TB reset too?)...

You may want to get it too Abbey so they can hook it up and do a reading, And whilst they are there get them to Revup it!!

Done a reset, the problem remains, next thing to do is clean the throttle body, i will do this when i get some free time on wend :thumbs:

Do it carefully.... Just try not to touch the butterfly... there is a guide on youtube I think, (did you do the TB reset too?)...

You may want to get it too Abbey so they can hook it up and do a reading, And whilst they are there get them to Revup it!!

:thumbs:

Thinking about this a bit more, it has to be by design. Think of it like a very dodgy way to implement heel and toe changes: When doing one of those, you blip the throttle to match the revs for when you change gear, which helps on wear on both the clutch and the gearbox. Okay, so the car doesn't blip the engine nearly enough for it to be used as that, but I wouldn't bet against it being there for some kind of wear protection.

I could be wrong, and it might be emissions based as that's the only two reasons I can think of for a manufacturer deliberately programming something like that in, but I struggle to to work out how it could help emissions.