My VXR8 plus first thoughts.

Lexx

Yesterday morning I drove the 160 miles to Loughborough to collect my new car.

Phantom Black VXR8 2009, fitted with the 6.2l LS3 GM V8 - 424 bhp (316 kW)@5900rpm and 418 lb·ft (567 N·m)@4600rpm.

The dealer was nice enough to put £25 of fuel in the tank. Which I got 120 miles out of. But that was motorway cruising, where if the guage is to be believed I averaged 25mpg at circa 75mph. Which, isnt too much worse than I got in the Zed.

It's a totally different driving experience to the Zed. When Im sitting in it, I dont feel like I have to go fast or loud. Its such a huge interior that it calms and sooths.

Yet the slightest press of the loud peddal and she's off like a rocket.

I had an M3 sitting up my a**e on the M1 coming home, I pulled in and let him past and he booted it. I "may" have been goaded into it. The of shock in his face when I was easily keeping pace with him was a picture. He's just read the Vauxhall badge on the back and didnt know what it meant.

The gear shift when giving it some stick is brutal. But its to be expected when shifting just before the red line. It's going to take me some time to adapt my driving style from that of the Zed.

The red line is at 6500 which has caught me out a few times already as I've hid the limiter on slip roads.

The interior build quality is much better than the Zed was. Nothing rattles, everything is attached and doesnt move or depress.

And it has back seat. Very usable back seat. Im 6ft 2" and my brother who is 6ft3" could still sit behind me comfortably.

I havent really had the chance to go give her some stick on twisty roads. I want to get used to driving her smoothly before giving the stick. But I will deff have to upgrade the suspension based on the some twisty roads ive been on. There is too much body roll for my liking, but thats easily sorted with a Pedders coilover kit.

The one thing I prepared myself for when selling the Zed was that I would no longer get the looks.

I was wrong.

This car gets alot of attention.

Roll on getting the Bi-Modal exhaust fitted. She's far too quiet at the moment.

She's a big car too. I over hang most parking spaces! Gotta be careful with that!

Economy - please dont ask! Im not bothered about it. I just want fun. lol.

I'll not be leaving the forum, and will hang around like a bad smell. And I'll keep my experiences updated.

Photo0568.jpg

Photo0569.jpg

Photo0570.jpg

Photo0571.jpg

Photo0572.jpg

:thumbs:

Looks nice, we had a black one in not so long ago, had black wheels too and looked very mean! Sounded good too as it had the Wortec exhaust on it (set to loud)! As you say theres a bit of body roll but i still thought it handled very well - and was a lot easier to drive then i thought it would be!

Jak

I dont feel like I have to go fast or loud.

Roll on getting the Bi-Modal exhaust fitted. She's far too quiet at the moment.

:lol:

I think I live the VXR8s, but I have a soft spot for anything with 8 or more cylinders...

Congrats - hope you enjoy her! :thumbs:

Looks great, Lexx... :) I'll be passing the dealership later, is your Zed with them... :)

It was when I left. They are waiting on the V5 after change of reg before they can pass it on

I was waiting for the "it's a vauxhall it's not all it's cracked upto be and i've made a massive mistake! wish I had my Z" lol

oh well :lol:

No chance of that.

The only mistake I have mad is buying another black car. I forgot how much of a pain they are to wash!

I was waiting for your comparison as I've yet to drive one (but driven a few 350's now) but have been reading up on the forums.

The only thing putting me off a little is the size as there are only two of us so don't really need a four door.

Keep us updated on ownership info please :thumbs:

Always find it interesting how different countries badge the same car. Here they come out stock standard with HSV badges on them, and there are even HSV dealerships. Thusly much more sort after if they have the posh badge, especially by the crim types. :wacko:

Good to hear you're enjoying it Lexx. :thumbs: What's the Holden/HSV club like over there?

Always find it interesting how different countries badge the same car. Here they come out stock standard with HSV badges on them, and there are even HSV dealerships. Thusly much more sort after if they have the posh badge, especially by the crim types. :wacko:

Good to hear you're enjoying it Lexx. :thumbs: What's the Holden/HSV club like over there?

There isn't, it's a Vauxhall club so Lexx will be hanging out with the Corsa boys :lol:

There isn't, it's a Vauxhall club so Lexx will be hanging out with the Corsa boys :lol:

Shut it you :dummy:

There is a small community which acts through Pistonheads. It seems busy enough, but isnt really the size and organisation of this place.

As for the badges - Holden/HSV is a mostly unkown brand over here. So it was easier for GM to rebrand them Vauxhall and sell them through Vauxhall dealers.