1.5 day detail on my 350z GT in Gunmetal.

tez162003

Right, first off, im fairly new to the forum, had my350z a couple of weeks so thought id better do my detailing asap, as i hate driving around in an uncleaned car (other peoples dirt etc on sterring wheel etc)

If you have crap internet speed, click away now, this may take some time...

As for me, i do all the detailing myself, i was in the process of setting up a little company, but decided not too as i didnt really have the time. plus as much as i like a mint car, i actually find detailing rather boring and tedious after a while.

The car: 2004 Nissan 350z GT in Gunmetal

Owned: 2 weeks

Before we start:

DSC06452.jpg

DSC06455.jpg

DSC06458.jpg

horrid numberplates :(

DSC06460.jpg

The car way fairly clean tbh, but i knew i could make it a whole lot better!

Firstly i started by pressure washing the car to remove as much loose dirt as possible, (helps to avoid adding further swirls inthe paintwork)

I then had to use the pressure washers own function for spraying washing fluid on the car as my snow lance fitting went missing...

DSC06466.jpg

Next step was to spray the bottom half of the car with degresser, to help remove any stuck on dirt.

DSC06476.jpg

DSC06477.jpg

The car was then rinsed again, and washed using the 2 bucket method and 2 washmitts. (random picture of a washmitt...)

DSC06482.jpg

In the process of this, i also went around all the badges with Meguires APC and a meguires slide lock brush. This was to aggitate and remove all the dirt and grime in the areas that always get missed while washing.

DSC06487.jpg

DSC06493.jpg

DSC06496.jpg

DSC06499.jpg

The car was then rinsed, and dried using Microfibre towels and Meguires Last Touch (straight)

Next was the clay, as my cleaning supplies are alittle thin on the ground i had to settle for a mild meguires clay, (i tend to use sonus personally) clay lube was Meguires last touch (50/50)

DSC06506.jpg

After which the car was looking pretty clean

DSC06509.jpg

DSC06510.jpg

Now time for the proper stuff. ;)

Out came the 3m 3434 tape:

DSC06514.jpg

DSC06517.jpg

DSC06520.jpg

DSC06528.jpg

Started off with a Meguires finishing pad and Menzerna Finishing Compound, this as i expected was a tad to mild for the correction i wanted, i would have been okay if doing 2 or 3 passes, but i didnt have the time and tbh i couldnt be bothered, i was wanting to do this fairly quickly. Ended up on a 3m pad and Menzerna Intensive Polish

I ended up using 3 pads on this car, mainly because i it was a small pad on a big car. (the pads were fine, i just kept wanting to get a mint fresh pad out every so offen and not using the ones that were loaded with polish from several previous panels)

Few machining pics:

DSC06532.jpg

DSC06536.jpg

DSC06543.jpg

DSC06550.jpg

DSC06556.jpg

DSC06566.jpg

DSC06579.jpg

getting there:

DSC06582.jpg

DSC06588.jpg

The proper amount of polish that should be used ;) less is more...

DSC06592.jpg

DSC06594.jpg

After the polishing it was time to crack out my favourite combo to date! The dodo juice variety :)

First up was the Lime Prime applied with a German Applicator

DSC06595.jpg

DSC06597.jpg

Up next was the Supernatural. Love this wax! and is up there with the best of them but for a fraction of the price of most!

DSC06600.jpg

Then i went round some of the odds and sods, door gaps done with meguires APC and variety of brushes.

DSC06616.jpg

DSC06617.jpg

DSC06619.jpg

DSC06623.jpg

DSC06627.jpg

Next up was the interior, again Meguires APC diluted to 4:1

DSC06629.jpg

this was the dirt off the door bottom plastic bit of 1 door trim....

DSC06630.jpg

Same was done for most interiors, got to love APC! dirt off the steering wheel.. yuk.

DSC06633.jpg

Interior gone over with variety of brushes to remove hard to reach areas and remove dust.

DSC06634.jpg

DSC06640.jpg

DSC06643.jpg

DSC06646.jpg

DSC06647.jpg

Next up the seats were gone over with Sonus Leather cleaner and Leather conditioner.

DSC06651.jpg

Mats were hoovered and cleaned.. again with... you guessed it APC, well theres a little difference!

DSC06659.jpg

Next up. Wheels:

Meguires Wheel Brightener, EZ Brush and a variety of other brushes and some microfibre cloths

DSC06665.jpg

DSC06668.jpg

DSC06669.jpg

Then finally a quick go over with Last Touch (straight) and removed all the excess polishes and waxes.

DSC06678.jpg

DSC06681.jpg

DSC06684.jpg

Sorry about the lack of proper shots like 50/50's etc, i never have been good at getting them on camera, let alone on silver. I'll try do all that sort of stuff next time

So now for a whole bunch of finished pictures:

DSC06690.jpg

DSC06692.jpg

DSC06695.jpg

DSC06707.jpg

DSC06712.jpg

DSC06714.jpg

DSC06717.jpg

new number plates while i was at it :)

DSC06719.jpg

DSC06720.jpg

DSC06724.jpg

DSC06726.jpg

DSC06733.jpg

DSC06735.jpg

DSC06740.jpg

DSC06747.jpg

DSC06748.jpg

DSC06749.jpg

DSC06752.jpg

DSC06753.jpg

DSC06755.jpg

DSC06761.jpg

forgot to mention, exhaust polished up with Megs Metal Polish

DSC06763.jpg

DSC06767.jpg

DSC06768.jpg

DSC06770.jpg

DSC06774.jpg

DSC06776.jpg

DSC06778.jpg

DSC06786.jpg

DSC06790.jpg

DSC06791.jpg

DSC06804.jpg

DSC06807.jpg

DSC06810.jpg

DSC06812.jpg

gotta love how Nissan think all 350z drivers play golf..

DSC06814.jpg

DSC06820.jpg

DSC06824.jpg

The next photoshoot location :)

DSC06826.jpg

DSC06835.jpg

DSC06839.jpg

DSC06844.jpg

DSC06855.jpg

DSC06867.jpg

DSC06872.jpg

DSC06877.jpg

DSC06880.jpg

DSC06881.jpg

DSC06887.jpg

DSC06897.jpg

DSC06906.jpg

Final few pics, thanks for your patience.

DSC06927.jpg

DSC06929.jpg

DSC06934.jpg

DSC06936.jpg

Hopefully you made it this far, if so i hope there were a few pics you liked. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Terry

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know the World Cup's on don't you!!?!?!? :wacko::p

Ah ha!! That's why my bloody tiler hasn't turned up :rant:

Beautiful work on that GM; makes my efforts on mine look poor, but some great tips there I'll use myself and have left me inspired.

Bradders

Nice cleaning job, but are you sure you are not a little mental. Next week it will be super dirty again.

well now this is done, its a good base to keep it clean on, with that wax on there, cleaning the car will be mage easy as the dirt will literally just rinse off as it wont be able to stick to the paint. its that smooth :)

Thanks everyone for the good comments :thumbs:

If anyone is around my way I could be pursauded into helping/ doing aother zed. for a small fee of course lol

Nice cleaning job, but are you sure you are not a little mental. Next week it will be super dirty again.

well now this is done, its a good base to keep it clean on, with that wax on there, cleaning the car will be mage easy as the dirt will literally just rinse off as it wont be able to stick to the paint. its that smooth :)

If anyone is around my way I could be pursauded into helping/ doing aother zed. for a small fee of course lol

where are you Terry? i could do with a hand :thumbs:

i thought there would be eagle eye'd people on here lol

Sat nav sort of tells you were i am :p

I'm based in Silsoe (between Luton and Bedford) about 10 mins from J12 of the M1

i thought there would be eagle eye'd people on here lol

Sat nav sort of tells you were i am :p

I'm based in Silsoe (between Luton and Bedford) about 10 mins from J12 of the M1

Bugger too far :byebye: unless you fancy a weekend by the seaside that is :thumbs:

I do indeed have megs tyre dressing, i tend not to use it though, i dont think shiney tyres look that nice on these cars, especially with such balloony tyres on the rear. Id rather not draw the attention to them lol now if i had 19s with a slimmer profile then defo :)

Thats why i just cleaned the tyres, bit of 4:1 APC and a harsh brush and a microfibre does the job. look clean without being to ott.

Looks top drawer mate.

Has inspired me to spend £100+ on meguiars/Dodo Juice products and get our newly acquired GM Z cleaned properly.

How long did that take you out of curiosity? edit: I've read and paid more attention to the thread title! :doh:

Nice work.

in terms of hours it took about 12. I could have done it far quicker but i was just stopping every so offen as i just wasnt in the mood to do it tbh.

I could do a detail like this easily in 8hrs if i could be bothered. But being there was no time limit i took my time.

Longest one day detail i have done so far was on a Black Porsche 911 GT3, that was 17.5 hours of work, plus 2 hours travel each way! tired was an understatement lol