Future Newbie - Advice needed for a lazy person!

Hello one and all!

I am Alastair, 25, from London. Obviously I am new here, kinda came on to seek advice!

Currently I drive a slightly modified MINI Cooper S but there is one thing wrong with this car....the power goes to the wrong wheels! I do love this car, you can chuck it around and wring its neck and it just keeps asking for more punishment! Wales - Elan Valley, was a hoot and I keep going back to play more. But I have got to a stage where I don't want to spend any more money on it! I am not a Barry Boy - I've never owned a Nova/Corsa/Astra etc! The MINI just needed a few modifications to bring it up to spec (New Brakes, Reduced supercharger Pulley, Intercooler, lighter wheels, non runflat tyres etc...)

When I originally got the MINI the 350z was on the list, but at that point in time prices were too high and insurance was a nightmare - For some reason being 22 and having a V6 do not bode well with insurance companies! Anyway, I would like some advice on which are the best models/generations/specs to have on the car before I start looking. I am active on MINI forums but they tend to get a bit cliquey with people who care more about what stickers to put on the car rather than how to drive it, but you learn a huge amount AFTER you buy the car, and I want to learn this before I buy it!!

So what are peoples experiences with reliability, fuel consumption, best specs to have, best modifications to do and rough prices for all the above. Am I right in saying that an 05-06 GT is the model to go with? How rare are UK NISMO 350's?

Thanks in advance!

Alastair

check the buyers guide and run a few searches on all your otehr questions as they will be thousands of threads discussing the best mods, spec and prices! It's all been covered before ;)

As for the Nismo 350, lot of people get the aftermarket Nismo kit from various traders on here, no idea how many factory Nismo's were made though.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Hi mate and welcome to the forum. This is defo the best place to source info on the zed. If you use the search button you will find all your questions have been asked before and answered in depth. There are also a frequently asked questions and a buyers guide available to you aswell. So get searching............... and buying a zed is the best thing you could do :lol::drive1:thumbs:

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I have been having a look around and a little read, but as I said in my title....I can be a little lazy :blush: , and you always miss the vital bits of info!

I am sure I will be asking plenty more questions as it gets closer and closer to me actually buying one!

Thanks again!

Alastair :thumbs:

:welcome:

Any zed will be good from 2002-2009 even the 370Z too. they are a real drivers car and punch above their weight in many respects.

As for mods there are many routes and it will depend on you and budget ;)

The most important thing is to get a car with good history and evidence that all is well but as a rule they are hard as nails mechanically and the little niggles are easy fixes!

There are so many resources on the forum so don't get lazy read through the stuff and only then would your questions define what you want otherwise you will end up doing what we want since you will have very little opinion ;)

Thanks again for all your welcomes and advice guys, I will get looking at narrow down the questions! :D

And if you think Wales is fun we do it with 50 cars every year. :drive1:teeth:

Is it an A-Road run? I would say we have found the perfect route from Swansea, across the beacons, through the Elan Valley then up to the Evo Tri with a stop off at Porthamadog for a few powerslides on the beach! I will have to find that thread and compare notes! We have always tried to keep off the A roads to avoid Mr Plod and Mrs Swine! I will find the video at some point of the Elan Valley :D (I will apologise now for the gratuitous amount of supercharger whine in the video ha ha!)

First time out it was only 3 cars, then 20, then I got annoyed because there were slower drivers who I had to keep waiting for, now it is strictly limited to 5 of the fastest (safest) drivers I know :D