Surgery

350zPaul

I was playing football on St Paddys Day( :rant: why didn't i just drink like everyone else :lol: )NH

anyway my blades got caught in the grass and my knee buckled, i went to hospital where i was told it was just a torn hamstring and had to attend minor injuries clinic aswell as the physio, after a few weeks they then came to the conclusion that it was a torn miniscus and would require a "minor" operation. After 2 month i was still waiting on my MRI scan, so fed up being messed around my parents decide to just go private like we normally do. Anyway i went to see the orthopaedic surgeon at Rosshall and within 5mins he has said i was misdiagnosed and in actual fact he believed it was a blown ACL. Within a few days i had my MRI scan and was back in seeing the surgeon again where he confirmed it was a blown ACL aswell as damaged cartillage in my knee and a torn miniscus, so this "minor" surgery is now knee reconstruction surgery.

The point in this post is How come the NHS doctors/physio's couldn't diagnose the problem correctly after 2 months of seeing me once per week and the surgeon i went to see told me the exact problem within 5mins? :rant:.

Heres an animation of the surgery for those who aint squeamish :lol:

So once the surgery is done i wont be able to drive the GTR for 4 weeks :thumbdown: and the expected date for a full recovery is 9-12month :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Anyway rant over :p

Cheers

Paul :thumbs:

I've had two knee surgeries but nothing like that. I was on crutches for a while last time and couldn't drive my car for 6 weeks. At first you'll feel like you will never walk again but you'll soon get over it. Best of luck with it! :thumbs:

I've had two knee surgeries but nothing like that. I was on crutches for a while last time and couldn't drive my car for 6 weeks. At first you'll feel like you will never walk again but you'll soon get over it. Best of luck with it! :thumbs:

Thanks for the support nixy, its appreciated :)

Paul

mate of mine did the same thing and had the same treatment, getting told it was less than it was.

sorry to tell but the 9-12 month recovery is pretty accurate, and you have to work at it to get back in that time frame, he did his over a year ago and still has to be careful, he is playin footy again though, but only 5 a side with mates

The reconstruction looks quite major!! Some serious DIY going on in the knee area there!!

Try this link - it gives you and inside view of the knee..... you'd imagine some serious discomfort after all this proding, let alone a load of drill holes in your bones!!

I also have knee problems, although nothing serious. Can't remember what they said, but its something to do with a horse shoe shaped piece of material that sits in the knee that's torn, I have it in both knees, they said, oh yeah we just enter the knee and stick it back together again!! Simple!! :scare:

Good luck with op - wish you all the best!

Mate from work did his cruciate and had loads of trouble with the doctors & surgeons. It ended with him having to have 2 operations, the second of which included the surgeon doing everything again, as he wouldn't continue work started by someone else. All this meant he didn't play football for about 2 years.

In contrast my son, who is in America, had a totally different experience. Nothing as extreme but had the MRI scan within days & surgery very soon afterwards. Of course none of this was free but fortunately covered by his works medical insurance. Now he has another problem with the same knee, which is about 3 years after the previous. From a x-ray it appears he has no cartlidge (really hoping the nurse is totally misreading). Again MRI scan is booked for 2 weeks time, so at least no time is wasted getting to the answer.

+1 on the private - i'd never trust the NHS.

I had fairly major spinal surgery in 2008 after a football injury. The NHS just booked me in for physio but i said i needed a 2nd opinion, so signed up for private through work. I had an MRI scan the same day, and was in for surgery less than a week later!

I have had a dodgy right knee for ages now and my local NHS doctor and physio haven't proved much help. What kind of pain did this bring mate?

Mine is painful if i do any kind of impact sport. Sore when I am doing movements like walking up stairs. cracks and crunches quite a bit and feels like its coming from the top of my knee cap.

I have had a dodgy right knee for ages now and my local NHS doctor and physio haven't proved much help. What kind of pain did this bring mate?

Mine is painful if i do any kind of impact sport. Sore when I am doing movements like walking up stairs. cracks and crunches quite a bit and feels like its coming from the top of my knee cap.

These are the same problems im getting however it is likely just torn cartillage or torn miniscus with you if you can still do impact sports. With a blown ACL you wouldn't be able to do anything like that without your knee giving way! I'd request an MRI scan if i was you just to be on the safe side :thumbs:.

Thanks to everyone for the support much appreciated :D.

Paul

These are the same problems im getting however it is likely just torn cartillage or torn miniscus with you if you can still do impact sports. With a blown ACL you wouldn't be able to do anything like that without your knee giving way! I'd request an MRI scan if i was you just to be on the safe side :thumbs:.

Thanks to everyone for the support much appreciated :D.

Paul

I feel for you man. That job looked huge!!!

Although this kinda has opened my eyes. Cragus i think im in the same boat as you my friend. I put mine down to running on roads with stupid flat addas trainers, wrong squats and locking my knees using the leg press.

Its been 4 weeks since i trained my legs and last week i attempted a fairly light dead lift, second lift and something went pop.

Think its about time i go see the doc too :thumbs:

I like my private medical care.

I've had two procedures on it and it's as stress free as it can be.

If you get a private consultation (about £150) you skip up the NHS list too as the consultation wait can be 12 - 18 months depending what is wrong with you.....

My brothers had this exact surgery done, after keyhole surgery never sorted it. He was on the NHS and he never had any problems. Was on his back for a few weeks but that was about it. Not sure about the 9-12 months recovery, but if that recovery is referring to playing football again, then pretty much forget it :p Although it may feel safe enough to do it, the psychological insecurity of it constantly twinging will scare the crap out of you.

And if it makes you feel better, he done it wearing blades also, turning too quick. Blades have been the cause of a LOT of knee injuries!

My brothers had this exact surgery done, after keyhole surgery never sorted it. He was on the NHS and he never had any problems. Was on his back for a few weeks but that was about it. Not sure about the 9-12 months recovery, but if that recovery is referring to playing football again, then pretty much forget it :p Although it may feel safe enough to do it, the psychological insecurity of it constantly twinging will scare the crap out of you.

And if it makes you feel better, he done it wearing blades also, turning too quick. Blades have been the cause of a LOT of knee injuries!

Tbh the thought of it constantly twinging doesn't really bother me, if we all stopped doing things after injuries then work would never get done and nobody would have fun. Football players recieve this surgery all the time and if its good enough for them then its good enough for me. Your brother couldn't have pushed his physiotherapy hard enough as thats half the battle to a full recovery in 9-12months :thumbs:

Cheers

Paul

Tbh the thought of it constantly twinging doesn't really bother me, if we all stopped doing things after injuries then work would never get done and nobody would have fun. Football players recieve this surgery all the time and if its good enough for them then its good enough for me. Your brother couldn't have pushed his physiotherapy hard enough as thats half the battle to a full recovery in 9-12months :thumbs:

Cheers

Paul

That's a footballers livelihood though, they have no choice but to get back to the game. And by twinge, I mean you feel the same pain you do when you first tore it, not just a tickle. Sure you can have the attitude of 'it's not going to stop me', but when you have a manual job 5 days a week to pay your mortgage and your self employed, then playing with fire by going back to football after such a massive operation could put you off work for another several weeks, no driving, and no paying bills. I hope you recover 100% but with respect to your reply, it doesn't feel like your taking this serious. My boss had the same operation and went back to playing again and now in his early 40's he can hardly walk.

And in all fairness, the level of attention footballers get during recovery will be a lot different from yourself.

All the best tho!

Cheers

Paul

That's a footballers livelihood though, they have no choice but to get back to the game. And by twinge, I mean you feel the same pain you do when you first tore it, not just a tickle. Sure you can have the attitude of 'it's not going to stop me', but when you have a manual job 5 days a week to pay your mortgage and your self employed, then playing with fire by going back to football after such a massive operation could put you off work for another several weeks, no driving, and no paying bills. I hope you recover 100% but with respect to your reply, it doesn't feel like your taking this serious. My boss had the same operation and went back to playing again and now in his early 40's he can hardly walk.

And in all fairness, the level of attention footballers get during recovery will be a lot different from yourself.

All the best tho!

Im taking it very serious but i just refuse to let something beat me.

Thats the whole point in this operation to allow me to continue my normal life i.e sports, manual work etc and also when i get older be able to walk, the odds of the same injury happening again are 2% over 5 years and 10% over 10 once fully recovered according to the surgeon i seen but we'll see what happens.

Cheers

Paul :thumbs: