Whats more accurate

Zugara

Speedos can by law be up to 10% out ...... manufacturers design speedos to be within the law but always on the PLUS side (i.e. they can read up to 77 at a true speed of 70 mph) ..... They do this to avoid being sued when you get caught for speeding

A good satnav will read your position to within 10 metres and time very accurately so speed is accurate also. It will not however take into account the 'faceting effect' around long bends

yes but a speedo will be more accurate at lower speeds because a gps cant keep track of each and every meter so for example

at 10mph the speedo can be out by 1mph where as a gps might not pick up what your doing... and so on

20 mph 2mph error

30mph 3mph error and so on...

yes but a speedo will be more accurate at lower speeds because a gps cant keep track of each and every meter so for example

at 10mph the speedo can be out by 1mph where as a gps might not pick up what your doing... and so on

20 mph 2mph error

It depends on how often the satnav receives the signals ......... and some speedos don't come off the stop until you're doing 10 mph

20 mph 2mph error

It depends on how often the satnav receives the signals ......... and some speedos don't come off the stop until you're doing 10 mph

Fair point,

but hey at the end of the day when you come to a camera just go under the limit not ON the limit and we should all be ok :thumbs: unless you have horribly huge or small wheels!

gps locates about 14 satellites at any one time and uses them to pinpoint your location. it was originally used byt the us army and then released for use by the general public as the satellites were up there costing a lot of money and can multitask anyway.

based on that,

i'd trust the gps more than the speedo, mine are always pretty close together though

gps locates about 14 satellites at any one time and uses them to pinpoint your location. it was originally used byt the us army and then released for use by the general public as the satellites were up there costing a lot of money and can multitask anyway.

based on that,

i'd trust the gps more than the speedo, mine are always pretty close together though

*cough* wikipedia *cough* :p

based on that,

*cough*military presentation i had to do during my training and before i was injured which i then used for my college course i am on now *cough* :p

based on that,

*cough*military presentation i had to do during my training and before i was injured which i then used for my college course i am on now *cough* :p

*cough*show off*cough*

:disguise::p

Gps can be more accurate, but lots of things effect it. For purposes if determining your speed for driving nor ally, use the speedo, they are designed to overread as by law they can't under read so will always keep you safe. Saying that gps should be more accurate at speed with a good lock of satellites.

The best combo is to use both like oem satnavs can using gps and speedo to calc actual speed ;)

Another thing to remember is that IIRC all the different Zed spec wheels have slightly different rolling radius (radii?) and thus the speedo will read slightly differently depending on which wheels you have. With my Rays the GPS was ~2MPH faster than the digi readout, and that was ~3MPH faster than the speedo at 70MPH.

GPS would be more accurate in reporting the true speed... HOWEVER.... GPS is not instant! I found GPS to have a lag between 1-2 seconds, if not more when reception is poor. Which makes it a bit useless IMHO because you can never tell your speed when you need it.

The moral of the story is that if you are driving on constant speeds with a clear GPS reception on a straight line then GPS is the accurate one. But don't rely on it when "adjusting" your speed for a speed camera you just saw, cause it may still show you the speed you had 10 seconds or a minute ago...

At a steady speed the GPS will be very accurate. There is a slight time lag though. The modern Sat Nav is very accurate. Out marine system is pretty good up to a couple of metres and coupled to electronic charts makes life a lot easier.