Ex RX8 owners on here ? think i bought wrong car

Hey guys , was posting a few months back after deciding between buying an RX8 and a rex

well in feb i bought a low mileage 05 RX8 , having driven it a few months cant help thinking i should have bought the rex as my heart just isnt in the car and already been looking on autotrader ! which is not normal for me as normally im straight in buying aftermarket parts!

I want to really like it , it has the red/black leather immaculate throughout handling is excellent but its difficult to get a good launch from the lights without making a complete idiot of yourself as the power only really comes on at 5k, you bog down if revs are less which can be frustrating if trying to beat a line of traffic in the inside lane before a road goes into one lane.

when it gets going its ok and sounds great at high rpm but im missing the torque and shove of my previous cars, i havent any confidence with overtaking either as i feel im not going to make it when in reality i have plenty of room.

couple of questions for any ex rx8 owners , when you picked your 350z up did you think it felt a lot more powerful than the rx8 ?

are the 350z any better on fuel than the rx ? im averaging 16- 18 mpg town driving.

Hi,

I looked at the RX8 before I got my Zed.... and I am glad I got the Zed. I found the RX8 to be a harsher ride, although look nice I think the Zed looks much better.You will see fewer Zed's on the road.

I average 24-ish mpg (spirited driving to work and back) and I don't have to pour oil in to keep the wankel engine happy.

You wont be disappointed with a Zed !!! :thumbs:

i had a rex before the zed! lets just say i only had it for 6 months haha. looks mint on the inside and was a great car to drive! BUT! it wasnt for me and at the time wanted something different. The zed it quicker off the mark and feels faster than the rex. you should average about the same, maybe a little better mpg in the zed, plus you'll save loads on fuel since the rex drinks it!

Besides, drive about town in a rex, nobody looks, drive about town in a zed and people turn round and point. your face will actually hurt because your smiling so much haha.

Hiya m8,

Iam getting about 22-24 mpg round town and 30ish on motorway. steady driving mind you! :lol:

Feel you pain with te Rx8, i test drove one after falling in love with the look of the car, was so dissapointed when i drove it and couldnt wait to hand it back to the

dealer.

My opinion is the same as yours... need to rev the nuts off the car to get any sort of enjoyment and being a tall chap, i found that the 8 gave me a terrible back ache.. that said its still

a bit of a tight fit in the zed but no problems with my back. :thumbs:

You will deff feel much more power at much lower rpm than the 8 when compared to the zed. Its great to have power on tap to p155 all over the twots in their stupid

half modded saxos etc.

But its just a joy to drive and fantastic looks.

Must concur, you picked the wrong car...... :blackeye: .......sorry

I looked in to an rx8 too. What put me off was you have to thrash the engine to get the best out of it and some concerns about oil consumption and prematurely wearing rotor tips.

On paper the RX8 is quick and it has some fantastic design features (love the suicide doors!) And 4 seats! BUT it doesn't have the look& feel of a pure sports car. It depends on your priorities.

Anyway I weighed it up and .... well I'm on 350z forum ain't I.... ;)

They at both different cars I can't understand you say the Rex feels like you can't overtake with it safely? Mine was excellent and it will piddle on the zed around corners in my

opinion ! You need to rev it and get used to timing your driving style to the excellent engine. The mpg on a zed is only marginally better aroun town but lots better on the motorway.

Don't compare them as they are totally different machines zed loads has loads of torque and lazy driving , Rex has to be worked but you will have light wrapping around you when wonud up!

( cue Lexx)

Dear All

Long time lurker, first time poster (I think)

I bought a zed in Jan this year (56 plate gunmetal GT). I had a BMW 330cd beforehand, as my sole car, then I bought a puppy, and got a crappy old 96 Mondeo estate for £500 to run him around in as he didn't enjoy the car and kept puking in the Beemer - too much info I know, he's better now bless him. So, last November - the day after I get promoted at work - some jerk who is now in jail came through my house while I was asleep and nicked the Beemer, didn't touch anything else. Way to even things out! Turned out they found it, but not before insurance paid out.

Anyway, long story short, I figured since I had the Mondeo I didn't need a 'one car fits all' - which I have to say the BM was brilliant at. So I figured let's go with something a little racier and less practical. I was originally comparing an RX8 with an Alfa Brerra (so gorgeous). The RX was fun, nice interior, and you felt like Knight Rider in it, what with the weird engine note, and cool electronic dash and stuff. 4 seats was a bonus too. And it was cheap. The Brerra was classy, and suprisingly nippy, and man it was gorgeous. But really was nothing different to drive than my old Puma (which was awesome at the time). Rear seat ridiculous.

So it's the middle of winter, I am mulling it all over. And I drive past a 350Z. And I remember back when I had the Puma, that I figured the 350Z was going to be next, and then I decided way back when that I needed 4 seats. So I think 'hmm, why not try a 2-seater' now I have the Mondeo. Back home, get on Autotrader, find one a few miles away. Quick call, see if they can stand a test drive this late in the day (I think it's around 21 December, 4pm or something). I nip down there, it's getting dark, it's rainy, cold. I get in the zed, start it up - whoa, sounds nice. Pootle it off to the dual carraigeway, wet, in the dark, phew, the gear change is hard core, mash the loud pedal, WHOA, HOLY F%^$! Look over, the salesman is grinning ear to ear, I'm grinning ear to ear, we're up to the ton in what feels like the blink of an eye (I know it wasn't but cut me some slack I'm trying to recreate the emotion!). Roundabout appears, hard on the anchors, round it, back up the DC, back to the garage. S&$t. I must have this car. Then it was simply a case of finding the right one.

To explain the difference in the simplest terms possible, I rang my best mate when I got home, he asked me to compare the two, I said; "mate, the RX8 was great fun, but once I got in the Zed, the mazda felt like a toy".

Yes, rationally, I know that round the track TG tested them the same, but in everyday use, I figured the RX8 would get grating having to thrash it to get the fun (which was definitely fun), but the zed delivers proper thrills from idle to redline. It just feels rawer, more 'real', the RX8 felt too high-tech which was cool, but not what I wanted.

Fuel consumption for me round town works out 19 or so, but on the motorway it is 30-35, I've tested it out. I average around 21-23 per fill up, which is less than I'd hoped I have to admit. Insurance is more than the RX for sure. But I am counting on it to be bulletproof mechanically, at least compared to the RX.

And you are sure right guys, there are less of them around, and it draws glances from a lot of people. I even had a little lad who used to offer to wash the BM walk past me today saying 'nice car mate'. My female friends also call it 'the magnet', 'nuff said.

Seriously mate, I am sure if I had bought the RX8 I would sing it's praises too, and I hope you get a lot of fun from it - or that you decide to get a zed and enjoy that, either way I hope you are happy about it - but I have to be honest, the zed is a balls out hairy chested sports car in the finest old tradition, makes you feel a hero just going to work in normal fashion!

EIther way, life's too short not to enjoy it.

Speaking of which, did I say 'long story short' above? Sorry.

Cheers, Nick

( cue Lexx)

:ninja:

Whatever do you mean Stan?!?!?!

Ok. Most of you have heard my story on this.

I had my Rex for 4 years. And I was very sad to see her go. The only reason I changed to a Zed was that I fancied a bit more power.

As Stan says, if you adapt your driving to the car, you will be rewarded. I never found overtaking a problem in mine, and as some people will testify, I have a habit of driving like I hired it at times.

I have d**ked all over much more powerful, expensive cars in the twisties in the Rex.

And as for wanting to beat other things of the lights, I shall reserve my comments about that kind of driving style.

Ok ok, if you want a powerful car, with torque throughout the rev range, its not for you. In which case, why did you buy it in the first place?

But if you want a car that will reward you at every chance, and sounds like the Dogs Danglies with a good aftermarket exhaust at 9000rpm. Then she's perfect.

And dont even get me started on the oil debate!

All that said, I did change. But, I will change the Zed for something else one day too. Thats not to say I hate Zed.

Lexx it's only us 2 that stand up for the Rex! How many of these threads have we replied to - think we should do a Guide to living with a Rex and finally dispell the rubbish that's written about them once and for all!

:lol:;)

Lexx it's only us 2 that stand up for the Rex! How many of these threads have we replied to - think we should do a Guide to living with a Rex and finally dispell the rubbish that's written about them once and for all!

So good you said it twice? or are you speaking for Lexx to now? :lol:

I love the design of the Rex too, but big cube grunt is much more attractive to me, hence the Zed.

Dear All

I bought a zed in Jan this year (56 plate gunmetal GT). I had a BMW 330cd beforehand, as my sole car, then I bought a puppy, and got a crappy old 96 Mondeo estate for £500 to run him around in as he didn't enjoy the car and kept puking in the Beemer - too much info I know, he's better now bless him. So, last November - the day after I get promoted at work - some jerk who is now in jail came through my house while I was asleep and nicked the Beemer, didn't touch anything else. Way to even things out! Turned out they found it, but not before insurance paid out.

Anyway, long story short, I figured since I had the Mondeo I didn't need a 'one car fits all' - which I have to say the BM was brilliant at. So I figured let's go with something a little racier and less practical. I was originally comparing an RX8 with an Alfa Brerra (so gorgeous). The RX was fun, nice interior, and you felt like Knight Rider in it, what with the weird engine note, and cool electronic dash and stuff. 4 seats was a bonus too. And it was cheap. The Brerra was classy, and suprisingly nippy, and man it was gorgeous. But really was nothing different to drive than my old Puma (which was awesome at the time). Rear seat ridiculous.

So it's the middle of winter, I am mulling it all over. And I drive past a 350Z. And I remember back when I had the Puma, that I figured the 350Z was going to be next, and then I decided way back when that I needed 4 seats. So I think 'hmm, why not try a 2-seater' now I have the Mondeo. Back home, get on Autotrader, find one a few miles away. Quick call, see if they can stand a test drive this late in the day (I think it's around 21 December, 4pm or something). I nip down there, it's getting dark, it's rainy, cold. I get in the zed, start it up - whoa, sounds nice. Pootle it off to the dual carraigeway, wet, in the dark, phew, the gear change is hard core, mash the loud pedal, WHOA, HOLY F%^$! Look over, the salesman is grinning ear to ear, I'm grinning ear to ear, we're up to the ton in what feels like the blink of an eye (I know it wasn't but cut me some slack I'm trying to recreate the emotion!). Roundabout appears, hard on the anchors, round it, back up the DC, back to the garage. S&$t. I must have this car. Then it was simply a case of finding the right one.

To explain the difference in the simplest terms possible, I rang my best mate when I got home, he asked me to compare the two, I said; "mate, the RX8 was great fun, but once I got in the Zed, the mazda felt like a toy".

Yes, rationally, I know that round the track TG tested them the same, but in everyday use, I figured the RX8 would get grating having to thrash it to get the fun (which was definitely fun), but the zed delivers proper thrills from idle to redline. It just feels rawer, more 'real', the RX8 felt too high-tech which was cool, but not what I wanted.

Fuel consumption for me round town works out 19 or so, but on the motorway it is 30-35, I've tested it out. I average around 21-23 per fill up, which is less than I'd hoped I have to admit. Insurance is more than the RX for sure. But I am counting on it to be bulletproof mechanically, at least compared to the RX.

And you are sure right guys, there are less of them around, and it draws glances from a lot of people. I even had a little lad who used to offer to wash the BM walk past me today saying 'nice car mate'. My female friends also call it 'the magnet', 'nuff said.

Seriously mate, I am sure if I had bought the RX8 I would sing it's praises too, and I hope you get a lot of fun from it - or that you decide to get a zed and enjoy that, either way I hope you are happy about it - but I have to be honest, the zed is a balls out hairy chested sports car in the finest old tradition, makes you feel a hero just going to work in normal fashion!

Cheers, Nick

This gets my vote for the best first post ever Nick. Stick a post in the intro section so we can all say Hi. :)

the way i see it is, it depends what roads you drive and how you drive them, if you drive lots of b roads and love ragging the nuts of an engine then stick with the '8, get used to the handling and the need for high revving and as lexx says you will be rewarded. if your after burning people at lights with lots of torque and very good handling get the zed but the '8 will always handle better. i had a run out with one of my friends who has a '8, it handled sooo much batter than the zed but i had the power to catch up, his '8 never struggled to keep up with one the streights, get used to the power bands! :)

i was going to get a '8 but the costs on them where a bit to much for me and they're a bit more comman than the zed, as well as the fact that i've drempt of a zed for years now :D

Cheers for the kind words! Will post on the intro section - been meaning to for a while anyway.

Regarding the RX8's handling, I wish I had had the chance to hammer it around a bit more now, the sales guy didn't give me much of a chance, so I certainly didn't get the same buzz as with the zed. I think the zed handles fantastically well, but then again, perhaps my experience is less than others (assorted junk for 15 years, to Puma, to 330cd, to zed).

Might go track one down for another go just to see what it is like when really driven...

Also - I have to say the newer ones - is that the R3 version? - look loads better than the older ones, more angles, excellent wheels, fine looking car.

Either way, I reckon they are chalk and cheese - as has been said.

Right, time to fire up the BBQ.....

N

Dear All

Cheers, Nick

This gets my vote for the best first post ever Nick. Stick a post in the intro section so we can all say Hi. :)

Definitely agree with you there martin. :thumbs: Great first post Nick

• 1 month later...

well.... i sold my Rex today after 4 months of ownership the call of the Zed was too much!

Watched the new owner drive off in it this avo.

soooo in a couple of weeks time i will be on the hunt for a mint z

I dont suppose there are any Zed owners in chester area willing to take me for a quick spin ?! cheeky i know but i thought i would ask!

There's no comparison, I had a Rex for 1 year and sold it in Feb this year for my dream car, the Zed. Yes, the Rex looks great but feels tacky and hollow inside with no character, it say's a lot that the steering wheel is standard to Mazda and nearly all cars are fitted with it including the 1.6. The power dissapointed me, with nothing there unless you gave it a good thrash. And's what with this oil thing, having to check it every couple of weeks. I took it off my slanted drive one day to check the oil and then put it straight back on, the next morning for work the damn thing was flooded so had to call the AA out. A lot of flaws with the Rex that you should not have with an expensive sports car. On the other hand, I've now owned my Zed for 4 months and can't stop smiling every time I start her, the torque you get is brill and pulling off in 4th only doing 20mph is not something the Rex can offer. I,m also getting 28.5 per gallon compared to 26 with the Rex, go for the Zed everytime. :#1:

yeah the rex wasnt for me , i hope i dont make a similar mistake with a zed

quick question about the zed power delivery , some critise it for having a complete linear power curve, the rex was also linear , please tell me when i hit the gas in the zed it still feels quick because it has the torque ?

does the zed pin you in the seat when accelerating hard ? the rex when accelerating hard did not demand your full attention or give you the adrenalin rush a reasonably quick car normally does.