Gym & Fitness

maz0

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My bedroom is like a nutrition shop, various products I use but now using more of phd and been using usn xedra-cut xt to start cutting for the summer.

I played rugby for a bit too jay but done my ankle in badly and never continued. I was a flanker in disguise lol i was big but quick, played full back and right wing for a bit.

for you guys with stick legs, start training them! You'll notice a big difference in your average size increase in the rest of your body.

Cla definitely does burn off fat (helps breaking down, transport and stop uptake) currently doing a two week thing to get back into my clothes :0

Wow this thread is going quick, in response to power plates you may be suprised but we found they do have a place, it isnt where you think though :lol:

The muscle gain was significantly improved in secondary muscle groups for primary movements ie Lunges primarily work the quad, hamstring and Glute the power plate didnt work these as effective as say a weighted lunge but worked the sartorius, rectus femoris and other secondary muscles much more effectively.

Its definately better than what i thought was going to be said although everyone agreed the whole "work out for 10 minutes on a powerplate is the equivalent of 30 minutes exercise" is rubbish.

Does anyone here who uses supplements, hate the whole supplement ideology? (no offense D13vyl ;) ) I mean I've tried loads, from many different brands, and they all tell me that I -need- their lean rip toning [enter extra long scientific name], talking to me like I'm a complete idiot. Plus the fact their all 'propriety blends' i.e. we aint telling you what the hells in it. After seeing the film Bigger Stronger Faster (worth the watch), I crapped my self because the guy created his own supplement company in his kitchen and it was all above board and legal. How much of the protein do you use, is 100% genuine, un-mixed, un-cut?, same with other supplements.

Bigger stronger faster? That's greig Valentino ain't it? He's a sterod junkie and all american bodybuilder hate him as he ruined it. I know a few guys who use steroids and they look amazing. I think there's a difference between using and abusing.

My protein shakes have about 40 grams of protein depending on scoop size. When I was at my best I was on 4 a day and training hard.

I normally supplement my diet with food and water. Works for me. Occasionally I have a whey protein shake because they taste nice, and throw in a multivitamin and calcium/magnesium/zinc tablets but that's it!

I think it's fantastic that there are people out there (well, in our gyms) who believe that taking this supplement or that supplement will make them as big as X, but then sit there gassing instead of training! I'm grateful for those people. They make me feel good about myself. EXCEPT WHEN THEY'RE LOUNGING ABOUT ON THE EQUIPMENT I WANT TO USE!

Protein doesn't make you big. It's used a muscle repair. Using a protein shake is supplement the fact that u don't eat enough protein to aid muscle recovery as required. If they didn't work, millions of people, like myself, wouldn't be buying them.

I have had a gym membership for about a year now with the payment coming out every month and me going to start next week, and then the following week etc...

Definitely going to start next week :D

One question as you guys all seem to know these kind of answers, I am only interested in building up muscle on my upper body, arms, chest, abs etc

To build muscle best would you take a lower weight and do lots of repititions or a larger weight and do fewer repititions but be really pushing yourself to achieve them?

I would have thought the larger weights would be best for quicker results in muscle building but know nothing about it?

Protein doesn't make you big. It's used a muscle repair. Using a protein shake is supplement the fact that u don't eat enough protein to aid muscle recovery as required. If they didn't work, millions of people, like myself, wouldn't be buying them.

Neil i agree they have there place, and the only one is if you struggle to eat regular meals. You say 40g per serving? you do realise that the majority of that is wasted as your body can only absorb so much? Body builders for example who train 3 times a day will absorb 20g p/h for regular once a day gym goers its likely to be 5-10g p/h. Save yourself the money, if possible, and eat protein rich foods instead. :thumbs:

When I was training hard I was having protein intake every three hours, except at night. U need to overload to ensure ur body is infact actually absorbing as much as posssibly. There different supplements that aid protein synthesis. Depends what ur into I'm afraid. It worked for me, I'm a fatty just now due to my diet not being right. When using supplements I noticed large increases in how quick my weights were going up compared to not using it. The recovery time was decreased alot aswell.

To build muscle lower reps, heavier weight. To tone u use higher reps mate.

I have had a gym membership for about a year now with the payment coming out every month and me going to start next week, and then the following week etc...

Definitely going to start next week :D

One question as you guys all seem to know these kind of answers, I am only interested in building up muscle on my upper body, arms, chest, abs etc

To build muscle best would you take a lower weight and do lots of repititions or a larger weight and do fewer repititions but be really pushing yourself to achieve them?

I would have thought the larger weights would be best for quicker results in muscle building but know nothing about it?

It would be best to really take the extra effort and do it all mate, you really don't want to look like a seagull. As I've said in a previous post, its well known that working the largest body muscles (legs/glutes) promote human growth hormone and testosterone, which helps grow biceps, chest etc in the long run.

Google around and try to understand the concepts behind routines, and perhaps take a look at Madcows 5x5 Beginners routine.

If you do gain some size on your upper body only you're going to look silly every time you wear shorts (even if that's only one day a year!). Besides, exercises like the squat and deadlift have such a systemic impact on the whole body that they can't be ignored! No two people are the same, but a general rule of thumb would be to try a rep range of 6-10 reps per set.

Best exercises if you're looking to grow? Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Dips, Pullups, Turkish Get-ups and Clean & Jerk. No need to do any separate arm exercises at an early stage. 4 sets of 6-10 reps done twice a week, splitting those exercises into two groups (training Monday/Tuesday and repeating Thursday/Friday) will work wonders if combined with enough food and rest. You may find that even that is too much volume.

PS - love the seagull comment!

Best exercises if you're looking to grow? Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Dips, Pullups, Turkish Get-ups and Clean & Jerk. No need to do any separate arm exercises at an early stage. 4 sets of 6-10 reps done twice a week, splitting those exercises into two groups (training Monday/Tuesday and repeating Thursday/Friday) will work wonders if combined with enough food and rest. You may find that even that is too much volume.

PS - love the seagull comment!

Ha, my gyms full of seagulls mate! And Turkish get ups! I love getting my friends to do one when they talk about how strong they are and how much they go to the gym. They all struggle with a small weight cos their so used to machines, they have no stability, but it teaches them a lesson about their core, and not to just build the show off muscles. I'm sure I read some where that in the old days, early 1900, if you walked into a strong man gym and asked to train, they told you to come back when you could do a 50KG turkish get up, as it was a sign of dedication and perseverance. :lol::lol:

I do still intend on using the bike in the gym every time I go, and also the press thing for my legs so it's not like I will ignore them completely.

But it's my upper body which need the most work, I don't reckon it will take me that long to see a good improvement.

Seagull comment was a cracker :lol:

Thanks for all the advice though.

When I was training hard I was having protein intake every three hours, except at night. U need to overload to ensure ur body is infact actually absorbing as much as posssibly. There different supplements that aid protein synthesis. Depends what ur into I'm afraid. It worked for me, I'm a fatty just now due to my diet not being right. When using supplements I noticed large increases in how quick my weights were going up compared to not using it. The recovery time was decreased alot aswell.

Absolutely its each to there own at the end of the day, i just try and get my clients to understand that supplements will not get you to a certain point any quicker than natural proteins, they are merely a tool if you struggle to eat the required amount. As for consuming more protein than required your kidneys will take a pounding if its excessive, ive seen the effect on a number of older clients and its not something they would repeat if given the choice.

The best bet is to invest in a blended protein, or at least some casein protein to add in with the whey, as this will provide a slower digestion rate and will increase the npu (net protein utilization) of the protein. Just as a side note recent studies have found that the npu of whey is actually lower than that of casein and egg white protein.

Last, but not least, barring post-workout, all protein powders are inferior to whole food proteins and are simply a matter of convenience. The key to continuous muscle growth is to keep the body anabolic throughout the day by maintaining a constant positive nitrogen balance. Too much emphasis is placed on post-workout nutrition, and not enough on keeping the body anabolic all day long.

The most important thing to remember is to drink enough water to aid the kidneys in the processing of this much protein. A person doing steroids will see a difference in gains when upping the protein intake to 2 gms per lb. 1 to 1 1/2 gms is plenty for a guy just starting out and taking nothing but protein powder and creatine.

What happens if I eat too much protein? Protein is an extremely important nutrient, but when we get too much protein, or protein that we cannot digest, it causes health problems. The metabolism of proteins consumed in excess of the actual need leaves toxic residues of metabolic waste in tissues, causes autotoxemia, overacidity and nutritional deficiencies, accumulation of uric acid and purines in the tissues, intestinal putrefaction, and contributes to the development of many of our most common and serious diseases, such as arthritis, kidney damage, pyorrhea, schizophrenia, osteoporosis, arteriosclerosis, heart disease, and cancer. A high protein diet also causes premature aging and lowers life expectancy. Excess amino acids (protein) are converted to fats and sugars and follow the paths described above.

The recommended protein intake for an average adult is generally based on body size: 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight is the generally recommended daily intake. The recommended daily allowances of protein do not vary in times of strenuous activities or exercise, or with progressing age. However, there is a wide range of protein intake which people can consume according to their period of development. For example, the recommended allowance for an infant up to six months of age, who is undergoing a period of rapid tissue growth, is 2.2 grams per kilogram. For children ages seven through ten, the recommended daily allowance is around 36 total grams, depending on body weight. Pregnant women need to consume an additional 30 grams of protein above the average adult intake for the nourishment of the developing fetus.

When u eat foods to get natural protein intake you're eating alot of salts, saturates etc with a protein shake it's lean with lots if ur amino acids etc that are missed through food. My diet consisted if chicken, tuna and salmon, no bread and about a fifth of daily saturate allowance. I trained hard and I'm only 5'10 an was weighing over 15 stone with low bodyfat. I looked immense and I can guarantee to get like that without supplements I would have been eating ridiculous amounts of meat.

It depends which way u wanna look, big and bulky, small and lean. Too totally different methods of training.

Right now I've not trained in about 4 months but wen I go bk I will pull bk my shape very quickly.

Has anyone used any steroids? What's ur experiences been like?

Behave the two of you lol steriods.... do you want your balls to get small?

Neil your bloody broad enough without needing steriods lol

Imagine you on them Jay! Be like a bull dog, Jonah Lomu but shorter :p