How heavy do you find the steering?

kazman

I ask this as every review I have ever read of the Z suggests the steering is super heavy etc. I have never found this the case however, far lighter than the Cooper S I had previously. It is starting to make me think that something may be worn in the suspension as the only time the steering really firms up is during high speed cornering and when under braking.

Does everyone find this as well or would you say it does have heavy steering? Mine is a 55 plate.

I'm starting to think it may be a worn tie rod as there is a slight knock through one of them if the steering wheel is held a few degrees to the left and then released when the car is stationary.

Thoughts appreciated as I am finding it really hard to love this car and I think it is because the handling is not as communicative as I had hoped.

Tyre pressures are correct and the car has had recent alignment (2 different garages as I was unhappy with the 1st, almost suggesting the car could not hold an alignment. Why niether garage informed me of a worn suspension component however is beyond me).

Thanks!

Bit of a tricky one mate, how many Zed's have you driven? May be worth going for a test drive with a stealer to give you some comparison.

Unfortunately cant help on the technicalities of the steering - sure someone will be along soon though. How many miles has the car done?

Didn't pre-Revup/HR cars not have speed sensitive steering? Or am I just imagining that up?

FWIW I wish the steering was a bit heavier at times, as I'm not overly fond of power assisted steering on a sports car. It'd be nice if it was switchable really... *wonders off pondering if it's possible*

Didn't pre-Revup/HR cars not have speed sensitive steering? Or am I just imagining that up?

FWIW I wish the steering was a bit heavier at times, as I'm not overly fond of power assisted steering on a sports car. It'd be nice if it was switchable really... *wonders off pondering if it's possible*

I don't think you'd like to drive the Z without power assist steering .... believe me I've done it when my pump failed and it's scary :surrender:

Power steering unit must be pretty heavy - good excuse to drop some weight!

That's because it was designed for power steering, so when it goes it's always much heavier. I've been driving a friend's '79 928 which is very much like the Zed (albeit 200kg lighter) and it felt so much more alive in your hands, and that's on old tech! It's just a personal thing, I agree that for 99% of people power steering is the best solution.

Could be that some mountings/bushes may be on their way out - take a look through the traders section, sure there will be someone trustyworthy near to you for expert advice :thumbs:

Thanks

as I have already targeted the tie rod (s) as potentialy worn would that be a potential component that, when worn, would cause a lighter than expected steering feel?

Obviously it is subjective, but in no way does the steering feel weighty to any extent except for high speed sweepers and under braking. Do you all find the same or does the steering weight not change for you in these circumstances?

Its been a while since I drove a Mini, but 99% sure that the Zed steering is quite a lot heavier. I personally find the Zed loads up progressivly at all speeds. Initial steering feel could be better but never esperienced any of the weight issues you describe.

I have lowered my car with stiffer arbs and the steering is heavy. But my mum can drive it and it feels super heavy after drving something like an s class. But I like the heavy steering gives a good feeling. I perfer to say the steering is nicely weighted.

partly depends what you have come from or what your used to driving IMO

Zed doesn't feel heavy to me, the wife's type R is and that is considered to have excellent steering. crap turning circle mind

personally i tihnk its quite well weighted maybe a touch less assist needed but my dad drove it for a just a short manouver and said it felt heavy so i would suggest either getting a drive in another z somehow bets bet being a tester at the stealers or at least get some else familair with the car to drive yours.

it well be that somthings a miss , not sure if the Z has electronic or hydraulic assist so it could be a speed sense thing helping to much ?

my miss mini cooper s had a lot heaver steering, fromn when i drove it, but so did everything feel alot heavier, clutch acclerator etc..

Think it might depend on car, as my bro said in his 350z his gearbox and clucth were very heavy, but mine feel perfect cant complain...

Gearbox is sometimes gritty between first and second but this is normal when cold..

I think that the steering is well weighted and gets even better with uprated suspension and geometry setup and bigger wheels ;) You need to try mine with 265 wide wheels in front and you'd be amazed :p

As you find yours too light then it might be worn suspension components as you suggested or the geometry setup or even tyres(eg too hard compound, old, overinflated, el cheapo to name the common probs) ) that are at fault :surrender:

Thanks for the replys

Tyres are falken 452s all round and have done about 1000 miles. I have had the geo done a couple of times as I was very unhappy with the feel of the steering after the first one (way too light). I put this down to the alignment centre getting all the settings wrong (readout figures were good but were then completely different to the settings the next garage gave me). Maybe a tie rod is knackered though, causing it to fail to hold an alignment.

I have spent 200 quid on alignments this year so I really think that is not the root cause...

ok could be totaly off here but whats your front tyre pressure like ? if theyre right on the upper limits that would soften the feel a bit due to less contact patch, could be nothing to do wiht that though :(

ok could be totaly off here but whats your front tyre pressure like ? if theyre right on the upper limits that would soften the feel a bit due to less contact patch, could be nothing to do wiht that though :(

Have tried pressures between 30 and 35 psi at the fronts.

As i say, there is a slight clonking sound when i turn the wheel to the left when stationary and then release it (so the steering wheel snaps back to centre). Maybe a worn tie rod is causing it? Having said that, i was parked up this morning at my workplace turning the steering wheel whilst look at the reflection of my wheels in the car alongside. It certainly did not look like there was any play (no more than a couple of mm anyway)