Castle Combe today - PICS ETC.

captain

Going on my first ever track day tomorrow.

Any advice from experienced (not guessers) track day members?

I've cleared the car, had brakes and fluids checked and tyre pressure is standard (35)

I know to put a full tank in and something about not putting on the handbrake afterwards but besides that know nothing.

Much appreciated in advance.

just go carefull and stay out the way of the other idiots.

What kind of day/event is it you are attending ?

The last couple of times I have been(not around track)they let only so many cars on at a time depending on size of engine and experience.

Should be really good fun though.

PS Nice to see you both the other night :teeth:

Enjoy it !! :teeth:

If there's any instruction going then accept it gratefully and don't be bullied into looking for your limit on your first go ;)

Only thing I've had 'drilled' into me is to check tyre pressures and let some air out if need be (I do listen Mr T) :thumbs:

Basically keep the traction control on and dont be too proud... ;)

warm up and cool down lap, helmet, racing line, keep an eye on the marshals, always check mirrors and let faster ones overtake you, do a few laps get to know the track and then build up speed, overtake on straights from the left and once your brakes/tyres feel overheated slow down.

35 psi on normal air will be too much esp on a hot day...about 30 cold should do...if pushing too hard 25 maybe...then again if you fill up with nitrogen 35 is fine :thumbs:

enjoy it m8 its good fun :teeth:

All sound advice. To add to that, yes, do not apply the handbrake when you stop, it transfers the heat from the brakes into bits that arent meant to get that hot. Take some wood if you can and chock the wheels when you get back to the pits, or just turn the engine off and leave it in gear. Make sure you do a good cool down lap and dont stay out too long when you are starting, if its open pit lane, just do a few laps and come in. Get used to the feeling of being on track and take it easy :thumbs:

warm up and cool down lap, helmet, racing line, keep an eye on the marshals, always check mirrors and let faster ones overtake you, do a few laps get to know the track and then build up speed, overtake on straights from the left and once your brakes/tyres feel overheated slow down.

35 psi on normal air will be too much esp on a hot day...about 30 cold should do...if pushing too hard 25 maybe...then again if you fill up with nitrogen 35 is fine :thumbs:

:lol::lol: The Greekman does cool down laps? ...I don't believe it ;) How are the Dixcel holding up mate?

Thanks chaps. :thumbs:

Not planning to go mental, just would like to see what the car can really do and then onwards to Germany.................Nurburgring later Heath??

Will deflate tyres when I get there and put the tow hook in. :lol::lol:

It's a limit of 20 cars on the track and not ability based. Track open from 9 to 5:30 with an hour for lunch. I'm guaranteed 15 mins per hour but more if less cars turn up I guess. So roughly 100 minutes on track.

Just hope the Blueflame meets the Db test. Should do otherwise it's an expensive day. :scare:

PS - Oil a tiny bit low. Got 5W/30 fully synthetic in there. Will a couple of glugs of 10W/40 do any harm??

Thanks chaps. :thumbs:

Not planning to go mental, just would like to see what the car can really do and then onwards to Germany.................Nurburgring later Heath??

Will deflate tyres when I get there and put the tow hook in. :lol::lol:

It's a limit of 20 cars on the track and not ability based. Track open from 9 to 5:30 with an hour for lunch. I'm guaranteed 15 mins per hour but more if less cars turn up I guess. So roughly 100 minutes on track.

Just hope the Blueflame meets the Db test. Should do otherwise it's an expensive day. :scare:

PS - Oil a tiny bit low. Got 5W/30 fully synthetic in there. Will a couple of glugs of 10W/40 do any harm??

'ring??? v v dangerous if you are new to it m8. :dry:

as for the oil i really dont know...

expense-wise if you add tyre wear, break wear, clutch wear, etc etc its v v expensive. you v got a zed...if you want it to be cheap get a pug 205 ;)

my way of thinking is dont feel sorry for it...hammer it!!! :lol:

:lol::lol: The Greekman does cool down laps? ...I don't believe it ;) How are the Dixcel holding up mate?

he does ALL of the above plus much more...you v got to be there to believe ;):lol:

the dixcels have done great so far although its skimming time now and the dixcel pads made just 1 track day...ish... :blush:

havent been on a track in ages...car is in and out garages now... B)

more from june on ;):teeth:

Castle Coombe is great in the Zed, I'd say DONT run traction control unless you really can't drive (I'm def no pro) as you'll have the power cut every 2 secs. The TC on the Zed is terrible!! Its a really tight rack though so watch out for people in their track cars that arent as expensive.

Got loads of oversteer on here last year, twas awesome - nurrish was passenger braking every corner :lol:

he does ALL of the above plus much more...you v got to be there to believe ;):lol:

Mentalist - one day for pads :wacko::lol:

the dixcels have done great so far although its skimming time now and the dixcel pads made just 1 track day...ish... :blush:

Mentalist - one day for pads :wacko::lol:

ds2500s do 2 and a bit :p

Its the big day Simon :yahoo: you will have fun!

Lots of good advice above but a few things to add:

The Track

- Find out the noise limit and check your zed before to avoid embarasment. If you have a the right phone you can download a free decibelometer/sound level web app and check before hand. They are reasonably accurate but i think your car will be fine :thumbdown:

- Learn the outlay of the track on youtube etc

- If there is an instructor at hand it will be money well spent usually £20-£50 for 15-30mins instruction ;) you will learn far more from then than you will by just driving around all day on your own.

Preparation

- Assuming the car was recently serviced and i know is in good condition there should be no major problems with using it on track.

- Make sure all levels are topped up to the max. Check your oil levels a couple of times during the day. take a spare bottle(2l) just in case ;)

- BTW always use the same grade/type of oil if possible -brand is not too important :p

- Tyre pressures: There are so many views but i will always say start at the recomended 35 psi and increase or decrease presures as you feel for grip (see below if you can't work out what is required)!!! Running the pressures too low could damage the sidewalls as they flex during sustained cornering, As you run anyway they will heat up on track and presure will rise so starting them too high will increase wear and loose you contact patch. (I have one of these cigarette lighter operated air pumps which is a good investment :thumbs: )

- An easy visual way to check if you have the right presures is to do a few laps to get the tyres up to temp, then look carefully at the scuffing on the tread of the tyres. If the scuffing does not extend up to the edge of the tread then you need to lower the pressure by a couple of psi(2psi increments or decrease should suffice ) and if the scuffing extends onto the sidewalls then the tyres are too soft and require some more air.

- Remove all loose objects that might fly around :surrender:

- Get a helmet even if its not compulsory and good fitting thin soled "driving" shoes or trainers and light sun shades B)

Insurance

- Thats up to you but there are some companies that off trackday covers :surrender:

Track day

- Arrive with time to spare and sign on early and familiarise yourself with the place.

- Read any literature from the organisers covering, rules and regulations, etiquette, flags etc plus any pointers from the briefing and memorise these!

- The biggest rule is overtaking and is almost always allowed on the left-hand side in the UK and only on the straights and never in the braking zones (If there are exceptions they will tell you ;)

- Always pay attention to marshals and flags.

- If you feel the brake pedal go ‘long’ on track then its time to come straight in after a cool down lap. They should be fine once cool.

- keep the bonnet open in the pit lane to help dissipate heat ;)

- Full tank of fuel is a weight you don't need ;) if usually do 1/4 or 1/2 full depending on my planned laps or distance to a station. It is always a useful brake or cool down drive :snack:

- I have no spare wheel in my zed and just rely on the foam. You can shed some weight by leaving yours securely at the pits :thumbs: Take a small tool kit too.

- Drive smoothly and brakes efficiently (donot lean on the brakes :p ) and there won’t be a huge increase in wear but you should ensure the legal thread depth left on the tyres as you will be driving back home. Rossers :scare:

TC

- It does interfere sometimes but not if you are smooth and braking on a straight line and carrying the right speed into each corner, using weight transfer to turn in etc so i would say leave it on and as you get more comfortable then proceed o turn it off :D

Addictive

- Finally its fun so relax and enjoy :thumbs:

- Be warned, though, track driving is very addictive and once you’ve tried it, it’s hard not to want more.......................Nurburgring next :yahoo:

- An easy visual way to check if you have the right presures is to do a few laps to get the tyres up to temp, then look carefully at the scuffing on the tread of the tyres. If the scuffing does not extend up to the edge of the tread then you need to lower the pressure by a couple of psi(2psi increments or decrease should suffice ) and if the scuffing extends onto the sidewalls then the tyres are too soft and require some more air.

Also, lots of tyres (inc Falkens) have little triangles on the shoulders of the tyres (tops of the walls). The wear should be upto these, but not over it (onto the walls). If its over them, inflate the tyres more, if its not up to them then you can let some out :thumbs: Thats a good tip for daily driving too. I run with 35PSI as per the manual and the wear is a little shy of the triangles.

You will past the sound test for sure :thumbs:

I was there when Adriank had the test done and he pasted fine, your exhaust is not that loud in comparison :D

As for the ring, well yes I want to go but just need some dates.

Have a good and safe day :D

New drug in town.......................it's called:

TRACK COCAINE.

cctd280410%20174.jpg

OMG :clap::clap::drive1:drive1:drunk::cloud9::cloud9::yahoo::yahoo:

That should be illegal it's so much fun.

3.6 km/l

Average speed (on track) 106km/h

Estimated best time for 2.97km lap = 1m 40sec

More piccies later once I've stopped bouncing off the ceiling. :lol::lol:

... and the car/wheel colour combo looks great....

Thanks. Going again in June. Here's another one with an instructor having just passed a 323i and an MR2. Only got "beaten" on the day by a much newer M3 and a brand new Subaru Impreza STi so pleased enough. Need to reduce weight (prob take out spare wheel and tools next time) and add (more useable) power with high flow cats, plenum spacer and re-map.

cctd280410%20690.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

He was v. good.

TCS was making me lose loads of time (too frightened to turn it off on first track outing :scare: doing 105 round corners) but Dave showed me some smooth lines a la Button :lol::lol: and I did several laps without it kicking in.

When I go back it will be turned off permanently. :thumbs: