Number Plate Question

MattMe

I'm going to buy a new front number plate as mine's started craking a little bit. I've removed the original moount (or 'brick' as the paintshop called it!) and fancied one a little smaller. I noticed on some plate design websites I can create them without the spacing 'MY04XKZ' rather than 'MY04 XKZ'.

Does anyone know if this is legal, and if I were to go without the space a big mega copper would likely smell me, hunt me in the night, stand outside my bedroom window, get off his fleshly fondled flying chariot and squash me with his pet pig's toes? I'm scared of that. I don't like pig toes.

I fancied a slightly smaller plate rather than the mahoosive standard plate size but I'm scared of the police, in the words of Reuben.

I rang one place and they said on standard legal plate spacing/sizes they could cut 15mm off each size and still be legal. Hardly worth it though, I'd have thought.

Work's slow today. :snack:

Chances are you will get pulled up. I am sure the space has to be the same width as the lettering. If the font is readable MOT wise you should be good as they had loosened the rules slightly but the cops operate by different rules. As much as i like fancy number plates, Why give them a reason to stop you?

You are not allowed to modify the spacing at all. I think there are a couple of approved fonts but they are very similar and not allowed to modify the hight of the letters at all either.

Here is a link to DVLA V796 giving the details...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/media/pdf/leaflets/V796.ashx

also interesting wikipedia page if you like that sort of thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_re ... ed_Kingdom

oh... and I used to ride a motorbike with non standard plates and the grief I got about it was unbelievable so just wouldn't bother again. Everything was legal and I didn't speed etc but I often got a tug just to 'chat' about my number plate.

IMO you WILL get a tug and a producer just for the plate alone at some point. If you are doing 33 in a 30 and you an odd one on you can kiss any chance of the police not being bothered to pull you if you get my meaning.

My rebel days are gone and it just aint worth it.

Thats my opinion of course.....

As has been said, any adjustement in the spacing is classed as a misrepresentation of the plate. If coppers are being arsey it'd be a £60 fine.

Also, if you were caught speeding by a fixed camera, when you recieved your notice of prosecution, you would also recieve a note saying that you are to replace your plate with a standard one within 28 days or risk further action.

15mm each side would make a difference i think you'd be suprised how much smaller that lucks, as said above dont mess about with the font, size, or spacing.

i plan on replacing my plate and "brick" with a vinyl on, should look much smoother

i swapped to a USDM plate, smallest size available, all lettering is UK compliant and so are the spacing, its just sat one on top of the other.

so:

T055

ER5

instead of

T055ER5

That might be a plan. Did you mount it straight onto the bumper or did you use the number plate mount?

Any pictures?

:worthless:

^ Perhaps the worst use of this smiley ever? ^

Vinyl isn't legal either ;)

Are you sure? I had a vinyl plate on my celica and often got pulled over...mainly because I have a massive baby face :blush: but the coppers never complained about the fact that it was vinyl, as long as the letters were readable and the correct size they were happy with it. These were traffic cops aswell who know the law in more depth then the normal plod

Are you sure? I had a vinyl plate on my celica and often got pulled over...mainly because I have a massive baby face :blush: but the coppers never complained about the fact that it was vinyl, as long as the letters were readable and the correct size they were happy with it. These were traffic cops aswell who know the law in more depth then the normal plod

so why is vinyl no longer available to buy ?

You mean like this

http://www.craigsplates.com/self-adhesive-number-plate

:console:

You mean like this

http://www.craigsplates.com/self-adhesive-number-plate

:console:

And I quote:

"The height is 79mm and the spacing is correct as per DVLA requirements. However, these plates are NOT road legal!"

Sounds like they ain't been legal since 2001.

Might just go without and when I get pulled say 'oh, it must have fallen off, sorry orificer'...

No?

I'll order up a standard one today and stop being so childish.