A newbie with some questions!

Hi everyone! I have been lurking for a few days trying to get a feel for the place and thinking very strongly about a 350z (for quite a while now).

I used to drive a nice Pearl White Honda Prelude Type-S until the engine lost compression driving back from work one day :( Since I have fancied some RWD action for quite a while the 350z is now looking like a serious option (I'll probably sell the Type-S as is or maybe look into fixing it up and then selling on.. it is a fun car).

I have spotted a 350z that I like but have some questions about it that concern me, I'd really appreciate any advice you guys could give:

1) The clutch was replaced mid 20k miles.... is this normal? I have been reading on some US forums which seem to suggest it may be... but I don't want to be replacing clutches every 20k miles!!

2) The car currently has 5 previous owners and is a 2003 yet has full Nissan Dealer service history and it looks like the owners were around the same area, should I be really worried? ( I am)

3) How often do the brake discs need replacing?

4) Do the 350z engines burn any oil? What is considered normal/abnormal?

I think that is it for now :)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I had to replace my clutch at about 30k but thats down to me. There arent any issues normally.

The brake discs are pretty good and tend to last well.

The engines dont really burn any more oil than you would expect. No problems there either.

If you have a link to the car feel free to post it, with 5 previous owners its likely to have been on here at sometime. :)

Hi everyone! I have been lurking for a few days trying to get a feel for the place and thinking very strongly about a 350z (for quite a while now).

I used to drive a nice Pearl White Honda Prelude Type-S until the engine lost compression driving back from work one day :( Since I have fancied some RWD action for quite a while the 350z is now looking like a serious option (I'll probably sell the Type-S as is or maybe look into fixing it up and then selling on.. it is a fun car).

I have spotted a 350z that I like but have some questions about it that concern me, I'd really appreciate any advice you guys could give:

1) The clutch was replaced mid 20k miles.... is this normal? I have been reading on some US forums which seem to suggest it may be... but I don't want to be replacing clutches every 20k miles!!

NO

2) The car currently has 5 previous owners and is a 2003 yet has full Nissan Dealer service history and it looks like the owners were around the same area, should I be really worried? ( I am)

YES

3) How often do the brake discs need replacing?

I got 50,000 + miles out of the originals ...... that's discs and pads

4) Do the 350z engines burn any oil? What is considered normal/abnormal?

Yes .... a fill up mid service interval 1 to 1.5 litres

I think that is it for now :)

Welcome :wave:

Welcome to the forum :thumbs:

Clutch should not have needed replaced after 20k miles and is unlikely you'd need to do it again - but you don't know how its been driven :dry:

It would bother me if the car had 5 owners in 7 years...what made them move on so fast :scare:

Is the zed you're looking at JDM or UK - does it have Brembos? Rotor replacement will depend on how it has been driven

I've never had to top up oil -they're not known for burning oil - but then have done two oil changes in 10k miles as I track the car as well as it being daily driver :teeth:

Thanks for the quick replies :) this is the car: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1552259.htm

What would you suggest is a reasonable price for a car like that?

The forum threads that I had read about the clutch seemed to be mostly USA based... Would a Nissan dealer want to change the clutch based on how old the car is or would they do it purely on an as needed basis? This car had the clutch changed during a big P3 service.....

The HPI check came in clear and it looks like the car has spent half its time in London and half in Oxford (maybe owned by family members or something)...