JWT Pop Charger

Chris s

I'm after some advice... I've just got my (296bhp) car back from a remap at RS Tuning, and the guy there mentioned that he had seen the pop charger drop the power by upto 12bhp!! I've also got the plenum spacer and lower collector fitted... overall I'm pleased with the mods (especially the sound of the pop charger) and remap but if it's dropping bhp by that much i'd rather change.... I hear the air box on the 296 model isn't that bad after all.... any thoughts?

I tought that a re-map could have been done specifically for the mods you have in :shrug:

I believe that cone filters in general are not as effective at taking in cold air and therefore when tuning can produce slightly lower figures. Didn't think as much as 12bhp though!

Mark would still be able to re map your car in the most effective manner for your mods you have on - he is just advising you may get slighty better results with the stock air box.

So many discussions on these pop chargers with many different answers :wacko:

I have a pop charger, sounds nice and has made my car feel smoother to drive.

If i thought i was losing that much bhp i would get rid of it tomorrow.

I was speaking to Captain on the weekend and he has just got a cosworth panel filter and reckon's its better than his old PC.

Now I am under the impression that yes when the car is staionary the popcharger can suffer and do from heat soak BUT when you are rolling along then the popcharger comes into it's own.

Forget rollig roads with a fan stuck in front of it, this does not replecate the same cold air/wind affect as driving along at 60 mph.

Anyone else see what i am on about ?? :D

I was speaking to Captain on the weekend and he has just got a cosworth panel filter and reckon's its better than his old PC.

Now I am under the impression that yes when the car is staionary the popcharger can suffer and do from heat soak BUT when you are rolling along then the popcharger comes into it's own.

Forget rollig roads with a fan stuck in front of it, this does not replecate the same cold air/wind affect as driving along at 60 mph.

thats exactly the point, and one i've made several times before.

also what people forget is that the loss in BHP is not across the whole rev range but only right at the very top end.

My car pulled better, made more power & run cooler with the stock box & filter over the popcharger & ARC intake :)

My car pulled better, made more power & run cooler with the stock box & filter over the popcharger & ARC intake :)

Ian, thats not helping with what i actually mean mate

I'm going with (and hoping) that the JWT suffers due to the conditions of the RR. I would hope it works better with proper outside real world air flow, rather than RR conditions.

Has anyone ever considered e-mailing the guy that designed/made the pop charger and questioning this? I'm sure the guy could probably give a very detailed answer in defence of his product.

:p

Switch back to stock for a few days and see if you notice a difference ;)

I might just do this for a test but i only have a stock panel filter. :teeth:

Would be nice to see if there is actual proof of what i am on about rather than RR printouts or somone saying it feels faster !! my car feels faster every time i wash it :lol::lol:

I'm going with (and hoping) that the JWT suffers due to the conditions of the RR. I would hope it works better with proper outside real world air flow, rather than RR conditions.

Has anyone ever considered e-mailing the guy that designed/made the pop charger and questioning this? I'm sure the guy could probably give a very detailed answer in defence of his product.

Totally agree with what you are saying to :thumbs:

The general concensus is that at lower speeds and on the dyno, there isnt enough cold air into the engine bay to keep the pop charger happy, and in these situations the standard airbox will do better. I have seen this logging it on the road and dyno, and on the dyno my car was a lot hotter than on the road at the same wheel speeds. This will cause you to lose power in the real world if the car is mapped as it is mapped in the hotter conditions and as such some timing will be dialed out to stop det.

All the pop charger has over the standard air box is at higher rev (I mean really high, near red line), it can breath better. For day to day driving the standard airbox will be slightly better than the pop charger, but the pop charger makes a briliant noise!