MOT failed... On emissions

kris

Went to get my MOT done today, and the only think it failed on was the exhaust emissions.

Basically it ran 0.61% CO2 in the first test and then 0.96% on the second (limit being 0.30%), which I thought was strange as the results should get lower the hotter the engine. Car isn't decatted just a K2 catback so was a bit surprised with the fail.

Basically I've got hold of the Havoline engine flush and i'm going to stick it in the tank, take it for a good spin and take the retest tomorrow. What does everyone think the chances of passing are? I'm racking my brains to think of any measures I can take to lower it as much as possible.

my MOT was done last week, it has HFC's and a true dual exhaust. it failed on the first test, but the bloke let it run for longer before doing the 2nd and it was fine.

first test is really strict, and if it fails it then it has too do the second test.

only need to past the second test if i heard my MOT tester right.

Went to get my MOT done today, and the only think it failed on was the exhaust emissions.

Basically it ran 0.61% CO2 in the first test and then 0.96% on the second (limit being 0.30%), which I thought was strange as the results should get lower the hotter the engine. Car isn't decatted just a K2 catback so was a bit surprised with the fail.

Basically I've got hold of the Havoline engine flush and i'm going to stick it in the tank, take it for a good spin and take the retest tomorrow. What does everyone think the chances of passing are? I'm racking my brains to think of any measures I can take to lower it as much as possible.

Do you mean an engine flush treatment or a fuel treatment? They're two different products and procedures - or is the Havoline some wonder multi-purpose tratment?

I only ask because I just went through similar with my other car....because its spent the last ten months pootling round town...a fuel treatment into the petrol tank and a 30 mile blast never going below 4k revs sorted it no probs :thumbs:

Do you mean an engine flush treatment or a fuel treatment? They're two different products and procedures - or is the Havoline some wonder multi-purpose tratment?

I only ask because I just went through similar with my other car....because its spent the last ten months pootling round town...a fuel treatment into the petrol tank and a 30 mile blast never going below 4k revs sorted it no probs :thumbs:

Its Havoline 'fuel system cleaner', so my mistake its fuel treatment not engine flush.

Thats good to hear it sorted your problem, gives me a bit more confidence, can you remember how high your readings were?

On the fast idle test first one was 0.36 % (marginal fail IMHO) second one was 0.74% - so in my case it also went up. It passed on the natural idle :shrug:

BTW - this is a 2004 1.6i Astra (with the twinport engine which supposedly is more economical and eco friendly :bang: ) - so its really not comparable to the zed :blush:

go to a kitchenware shop, buy the least obtrusive carbon filter, cut out a circle which will fit inside your exhaust, shove it into the exhaust just before you do the test. Then remember to pull it out afterwards ;):clap::ban:

:#1: