Painting Centre Console Due to Scratches

SteveW

Hi There,

I'm considering painting the centre console( gear surround and stereo surround etc) inside the car because of a number of scratches and about a two inch diameter patch wehre the black colour has gone completely and its white???

I remeber seeing a post where someone had done it in the past but can't seem to locate it. Does anyone have any tips how I should go about this? I'm just not really sure how to start because of the 'bobble' effect coating . . . Should I rub it down smooth or paint straight over with a high lift primer then paint?

If I mess it up I can't really make it any worse it look stupid.

Thanks very much

Steve

Hi Steve, I painted mine a while ago and did it by spending a fair time wet & drying the face of it to remove the "bobble" that is on top of it, then primered and painted it. It looked ok imo but i've gone down the carbon vinyl wrap route now.

Hi Steve, I painted mine a while ago and did it by spending a fair time wet & drying the face of it to remove the "bobble" that is on top of it, then primered and painted it. It looked ok imo but i've gone down the carbon vinyl wrap route now.

+1 Wrapping would look a squazillion times better than painting, whether it be CF or just a plain colour. B)

P15ULT wrapped mine and it didnt work. It is a very complicated shape to wrap, and also it stops things opening like the ashtray and the cubby, so you'd need to shave the parts first which is more effort than its worth.

I peeled off the carbon vinyl in the end, sanded it and painted it, and am happy with it. I didnt sand it down completely to remove the bobbles, , but i did use a matte paint which i think looks so much better - it doesnt look like shiny cheap plastic anymore!

P15ULT wrapped mine and it didnt work. It is a very complicated shape to wrap, and also it stops things opening like the ashtray and the cubby, so you'd need to shave the parts first which is more effort than its worth.

I peeled off the carbon vinyl in the end, sanded it and painted it, and am happy with it. I didnt sand it down completely to remove the bobbles, , but i did use a matte paint which i think looks so much better - it doesnt look like shiny cheap plastic anymore!

Pictures............... :D

Roughly how much does the carbon fibre wrapping cost or is it something I can do myself?

I was thinking matt effect paint too if I went that route could any of you chaps be gentlemen and post up a couple of pics so can see the effects of the various routes?

Many thanks in advance

Steve

Roughly how much does the carbon fibre wrapping cost or is it something I can do myself?

I was thinking matt effect paint too if I went that route could any of you chaps be gentlemen and post up a couple of pics so can see the effects of the various routes?

Many thanks in advance

Steve

Did this myself viewtopic.php?f=53&t=35001

painting can look good, but pesonally i don't thin it will hold up to long term wear and tear.

when painted at home; paint jobs will always be more prone to chipping.

the vinyl has a bit more give in it, especially the DI_NOC stuff as it was designed originally for kitchen tops and work surfaces.

Many thanks in advance

Steve

The last time I saw Paul's car (P15ULT), he had the centre console smoothed and painted in a nice anthracite colour. I was thinking of doing something similar, because it looked B)