Nissan. Is it worth the hassle?

BTD

Well, an update on my super efficient dealership. :headhurt:

Picked the car up a week ago today. A few niggly problems found on the first day, but after buying the car I felt assured the dealer would be able to cheerily put it all right as quick as a flash. I was wrong. :thumbdown:

The trouble started with the passenger door airvent being completely broken (they must of missed that in their pre sale quality assurance check...?) There was also the worlds loudest rattle coming from the drivers side dash. So nothing too major. :dry:

I phoned the very day I picked up the car, they couldn't fit me in to look at it until 8th September!! Luckily(?) the saleman who I phoned up after (I was angry), managed to find a slot today.

So down I went, and firstly I was told no courtesy car available (getting a little stormy, but ok), :headhurt: ok so I'll wait. Within 20mins I'm told the airvent needs to be replaced, but Nissan need to be informed and their approval gained (as well as ordering the part!) before they could even think of repairing it. :angry: As for the rattle, apparently I only booked it in for 'investigation' and so they wouldn't do the work toaday but I had to re-book it in (presumable in 2-3 weeks time) and so irately I asked to see the service department mechanic. :rant:

He told me a similer problem they have had took several days to fix. So as I was going to Plymouth in the next 3 weeks (to work mon-fri) my best bet would be to book it in there and they should be able to do it under warranty!!! :bang:

I don't often lose my temper, and I think they were about to call the police, but eventually 'found' an Almeira' courtesy car.

I have been told they will phone me when fixed but could take 'several days' as they need to take the dash off completely. This diagnosis after they never even took the car for a test drive to listen for the rattle!!!????

Is it just my dealership, or is Nissan generally rude, uncooperative and severly lacking in any customer care?? :protest:

It is seriously taking away the fun of owning such a good car, and turning me away from buying one again, which is a great shame!! Anyone else had such poor service???? Anything you can recommend I do, does anyone have an address I can write to to complain and does it do any good?? :please:

Well end of rant!!........... until the next time.

In my experience it is a bit of a lottery, and it is the same with all marques.

We used to own a mazda MX-5, and that was notorious for the door locks freezing up in winter. One day when we were experiencing this issue we called up the Mazda dealer that used to be in Sheffield, and they agreed to take a look.

Anyway - the drivers lock was still frozen when we got there. They gave us a call a few hours later to say the car was ready.

When we asked what was the problem they said they didnt know - it just defrosted in their workshop.

We got back to the car and the drivers door card was hanging off by about half an inch, you could see into the door!

When I pointed this out to the service manager, he questioned one of the spanner monkeys in the back, who said "it was like that when it came in".

To say I chewed the guy a new arse would be an understatement. :rant:

You get the same from all sorts of dealerships for all sorts of marques. It would appear that manufacturers are not so much bothered about quality service anymore - they just want to shift cars, they dont seem to care after that point.

Some dealerships certainly do seem to value customer service, and it shows. My advice would be to find a dealer with a better attitude, even if it is a little out of your way, it will be worth it in terms of service and stress.

Cheers guys. :teeth: I have heard that Southampton Nissan is a lot better and will be driving the extra 20mins or so to go there from now on. Which won't be so bad as long as the rattle gets fixed this time around! Looks like they lost my car for any servicing or accessories (which I've been getting from Holdcroft + discount anyway). :hypocrite: !!!!

...I have heard that Southampton Nissan is a lot better...

I assume you mean Westway Nissan in Redbridge?

I'm really pleased to hear this, the premises being about a mile from where I live. Bought my car in Bournemouth (Westover Nissan) - jury still out on them and won't really know until something goes really pear-shaped. So far though so good.

There's also Sparshatts in Botley which might be a bit nearer.

My experience of westway is not good. 3 times I phoned up to get a price on a 30K service. Twice my number was taken and was told I would be given a call back but never got it.

I went to Sparshats which I can highly recommend. Answered the phone first time, gave a competative price and then was suprised to see a good £33 taken off for supplying my own oil.

Did the service without any problems and greased up all the points I had cleaned a bit too well :D

All good info!! ;) thanks Rob. I personally will be willing to go to any Nissan dealer on the south coast with a recommendation! Really,....... there are so few that I have heard of with any customer recommendations at all and all I won't is decent service!!! :wacko:

Just as bad up north I’m afraid. I’ve used two main dealers so far and had problems with both. Don’t try Nissan customer services either cus youll end up topping yourself. Their an even bigger shambles. :rant:

I drive 150 miles each way to the dealer who supplied my car. I trust them and they've fixed several warranty niggles although it does sometimes take more than a day and/or more than the single visit.

I've tried three local dealers and in two of them I never got past service reception. I dont need to be treated like an idiot as a starting point for a customer relationship.

The third one was sort of ok after I made sure I convinced them I knew what I was talking about, but workshop experience was frustrating - "yes sir,we've had your car for a day and we can confirm there is a problem - would you like to book it in for us to look into it further......."

So off to Exeter I go. We plan the visits to fit in with parts delivery and any service needed. I get a courtesy car for the day (so far its been a Micra, then an Almeira and last time a Pathfinder, and I spend a day in my favourite part of the UK!

Cheers

JohnK

JohnK,

Spend some of my time in Plymouth, I take it Exeter isn't that bad then? Trying to find out recommendations for dealerships in southwest or near/around Portsmouth!! :headhurt:

Thanks for all the replies!! Although looks like Nissan may not be too bothered about you after selling! :teeth:

I think I am right in saying now that servicing does not need to be done by marque dealers so find yourself a GOOD local garage that knows what it is doing and use them.

Only go to stealerships if it is a warranty issue and therefore FREE or if they come properly recommended. Their servicing prices will almost always be more expensive and there is no guarantee that they will do as good a job let alone better.

I NEVER took my Mitsubishi GTO anywhere near a Mitsi garage ;) and the Nissan will go NO WHERE NEAR a Nissan garage I can guarantee that!

Ming the Local Man

i know for a fact that once the warranty has expired, my Z won't go anywhere near a main dealer :)

Me neither. No point in paying for a NISSAN stamp in the book. As long as the service schedule is maintained then there shouldn't be a problem :thumbs: