instant ban?!

mattbowey

i may be risking an instant :ban: from the forum, but i just want to ask if anyone has considered an lpg conversion?

don't really want to do it but with the price of fuel constantly constantly climbing it is obviously and option.

cheers for thoughts

I reckon that with the current fuel prices you could break even on a £2k lpg conversion in around 25k miles assuming you get around 300 miles on a £70 tank of fuel. This assumes no other costs factors such as additional depreciation at resale.

Cannot take an LPG car on 'Le Shuttle' channel crossing and restrictions in other places eg underground car parks etc

I saw a converted 350z and it could use petrol too, so that means, no congestion charge... so you get all the benefits with no downs?

Not too bad an idea... specially for a Londoner like me.

Not a bad idea if your a Londoner. But then again why get a 350z if your worried about petrol?

I saw a converted 350z and it could use petrol too, so that means, no congestion charge... so you get all the benefits with no downs?

Not a bad idea if your a Londoner. But then again why get a 350z if your worried about petrol?

LPG cars HAVE to use petrol for the first 2 - 3 (min) miles after start up. If you have a short commute it's not worth it. Remember that LPG gets a minimum of 10% less MPG on LPG. This fiqure is more likely to be 15-20% though.

LPG has it place.... and that's in V8 jeeps. :thumbs:

LPG cars HAVE to use petrol for the first 2 - 3 (min) miles after start up. If you have a short commute it's not worth it. Remember that LPG gets a minimum of 10% less MPG on LPG. This fiqure is more likely to be 15-20% though.

a valid point about the v8 jeeps.

i shall be steering clear of the lpg place, although the industrial estate has amazing straight and clear stretch for drag racing.

+1 for the cheap diesel and Z as second car

I bought a Renault laguna sport 1.9 TDI for £300 as it needed cambelt, major service and only had 3rd and 4th gear it now owes me £600 inc buying it as i did all the work and rebuilt the gearbox, done 6k faultless now, its great for running around, long trips, chucking tools and the dog etc in and it runs on veggi oil so costs me around 60p a litre :teeth::p:thumbs:

That is also 6k that would of been in the Z through the winter, instead she is/was all wraped up cosy in the garage ready for the sunshine,.......... both days of it anyway!

Coops

A friend of mine had lpg conversion in his avensis :yuck: and was very happy right up until his engine got royally screwed up. apparently according to few different mechanics the conversion which was top class was directly responsible. i generally don't understand lpg conversions especially in high-running-costs cars. if i couldnt afford petrol for my car id just go for something cheaper, like 1.4 (with small annual mileage) or a modern diesel (with driving a lot). that being sad i was quite troubled when i saw an 06reg s600 filling up lpg the other day lol

LPG conversion will instantly result in loss of performance and has a very big chance of seriously damaging the engine over the time. The only benefit i can see is increased range

I know 2 guys with lpg conversions and they seem fine tbh and have been for the last 4years. So maybe it depends on the engine?

Also lpg is about 106ron so maybe a uprev reflash and some high comp pistons could have you running really decent power :drive1 thats a maybe so probably not :lol:

Yes agreed... BUT... if your paying 8 quid congestion charge for half of the year thats hmm... 8x 183 (or so) = £1464 potential saving of 1.5k a year on congestion charge alone... as i said.... for a londoner it MAY have its place but as i went on to say 350z is a sports car...