Limited slip differential or not!

doctor austin

How do I know if my 2003 JDM 6speed manual has a limited slip differential? I plan to change the diff oil but am unsure what to put in it as I dont know if it is a lsd? yep I know I must be rather slow but. :surrender: The car handbook is in Japanese so the section that lists oils and capacities is a little hard to decipher however, I reckon it states to use 'API:GL-5,SAE:80W-90' oil. Is this for a lsd or not? I dont want to put the wrong grade of oil in but cant be sure if its ever been changed in 47000 miles. Any help and advice much appreciated. Thanks

Sorry boys the JDM Base model does not have LSD. If you car has Brembo brakes from the factory then you have LSD :thumbs:

So for clarity, if you have an '03 JDM with non-Brembo brakes you 100% do not have LSD?

(Checked the thread you mentioned Husky, doesn't give definitive answer)

Sorry boys the JDM Base model does not have LSD. If you car has Brembo brakes from the factory then you have LSD :thumbs:

So for clarity, if you have an '03 JDM with non-Brembo brakes you 100% do not have LSD?

(Checked the thread you mentioned Husky, doesn't give definitive answer)

Correct :thumbs:

I know its not politically correct, but do a massive burnout somewere quiet and if you have an "11" behind you you have an LSD. If you have a "1" then its an O-Pen diff. :thumbs:

Alternatively jack the back of the car up so both wheels are in the air and spin one - if the other goes the same way its an LSD, if not its open. This is less fun than the first method. :thumbdown:

Thanks for all the good comments and advice... well worth asking. I think it will be a lsd what with factory Brembos and stability control but to be sure I'll jack it up and see what happens if I turn one wheel. Good advice thanks. I wonder how many Z owners are actually certain if they have a lsd? For sure at MoT time I will be watching to see what they do. Actually when I take my real (85+) old cars for MoT they dont bother with the brake test just say if I am prepared to drive it then thats okay!! BTW thank you for your replies .. this is great and I have to say adds to the pleasure in owning a Zed. If I had realised the help and support available I would of got one before :clap:

I used Motul for all the fluids change and if i remember correctly actually got Motul gear 300 75w 90 for both gearbox and VLSD which is a GL4/GL5 oil. teeth: I think it just 1.2 or 1.4l required for one or the other so got 3l to cover everything :thumbs:

• 5 months later...
NO LSD!!!!!!!!!!!! :scare::scare:

That's ok, took enough of that 30 years ago so I can imagine my wheels spinning at differnet speeds. :blink::blink::wacko::wacko: evein if they aren't. :lol::lol:

:wacko: a bit suprised to hear this... thought I had a LSD...

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1781

Got 17" wheels non brembo but came from the JDM market sold as > version S or something like that... going to have to check if I got a LSD or not ;)

Kaaz or Cusco or Nismo diff...

Hmmm...

I would say i definitely DID HAVE an LSD on my 03 JDM auto zed, with none-brembos and no VDC. I used to do quite a bit of drifting (as much as you can do in a tiptronic auto :blush: ) and both wheels definitely spun all of the time.

I had a BMW with an open diff which was crap, and i've had an RX7 with a welded diff, so i know the feeling im looking for, and my zed definitely had both wheels spinning all the time.

• 1 month later...