Have I done something serious to my Z?

captain

Flat battery this morning. It was turning over the starter motor but just clicking.

Went and got the charger which also does jump starts. (It's got a "fast/start" function) Left the battery in the car and then connected the charger to THE WRONG TERMINALS!!! I noticed this before I restarted and quickly turned off the charger. I re-connected the charger correctly but when I turned the ignition the car is completely dead. No lights on the dash and no turnover of the starter motor.

Have I done something expensive? :byebye:

Ta.

How do I check the voltage across the battery? Do you mean via the dial on the dash?

And if I've fried the alternator? Any idea of cost?

Last. Do you think I've done something to the immobiliser? G/F reckons that's what I've done.

all automotive manufacturers "should" design to protect against user error when connecting chargers etc. but then ive seen nissans design be a bit sloppy before.

also the charger should have some protection aswell i would hope.

i wouldnt think you've done anything to damage the car but the battery may be damaged.

I had something similar a couple of days ago.....

on the battery check the fuses directly on the positive terminal.....most likely one of these has fried.....just reconnect the join with something

There appear to be 5 fuses attached to the + terminal (4 underneath and 1 just on the top right) all appear fine.

I'll check the ones in the engine bay a little later as have to go out. Hate to say this, but where are the fuses inside the car mentioned above?

I had something similar a couple of days ago.....

on the battery check the fuses directly on the positive terminal.....most likely one of these has fried.....just reconnect the join with something

There appear to be 5 fuses attached to the + terminal (4 underneath and 1 just on the top right) all appear fine.

I'll check the ones in the engine bay a little later as have to go out. Hate to say this, but where are the fuses inside the car mentioned above?

something HAS to be a fuse! do not under any circumstances use anything but the correct rated fuse. disregarding this will potentially leave you with a burned out heap in your drive and no insurance pay out.

The alternative is that you've fried the ECUs and melted the wiring. Happens very often when people connect the terminals the wrong way round. You may have got lucky and it's just a fuse, but prepare yourself for the worst just in case.

The alternative is that you've fried the ECUs and melted the wiring. Happens very often when people connect the terminals the wrong way round. You may have got lucky and it's just a fuse, but prepare yourself for the worst just in case.

Thanks for that. Remind me to give you a Chinese burn, a running deadleg and turbo-wedgie next time we meet. :boxing::p:lol:

Had the battery of super charge for 5-6 hours. Popped it back in and everything OK. :teeth:

Don't know why it was dead earlier. Perhaps the car went in to "I'm being stolen" mode as it was very similar to the immobilser kicking in. Have bought a new battery from our f®einds at Halfords (£89 :scare: ) and will take it back tomorrow if the car starts in the morning.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and concern.

I hope you get it sorted out. If you get stuck or need any help give me a ring and I will pop down Mon/Tue :thumbs:

You're a superstar. How's that study looking? Don't want to get blamed for distracting you.

Rota's arrive tomorrow and rubber later in week and then there's Nurrish's mega-brake set up going on and then the aluminium grille and the Scorpion so I think you'll be round quite a bit over next week or so having a look as each bit goes on...................... :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Should I keep the battery on fast charge overnight?

It's got 5 LEDs on the front and the green one at number 5 is bright green next to the word MAX whilst it's charging (now). When I turn off the charger but leave the battery connected to it, the LED light drops back to number 3 and goes amber. This suggests the battery is half-charged but the instructions are half English and half space-martian having been badly translated.

Should I keep the battery on fast charge overnight?

It's got 5 LEDs on the front and the green one at number 5 is bright green next to the word MAX whilst it's charging (now). When I turn off the charger but leave the battery connected to it, the LED light drops back to number 3 and goes amber. This suggests the battery is half-charged but the instructions are half English and half space-martian having been badly translated.

yep, needs full charge overnight or a good 10 mile :drive1 now to get the alternator to juice up the battery :thumbs:

AAAAAARRRRGGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Gone again so battery must be dead. However, need a JDM-style battery with smaller terminals as Nissan say they can't get UK ends for the + and - leads for 3-6 weeks. :lol:

Where can I source a battery with narrow terminals with a proper CCA (450 to 510 range) in next 24 hours??

Lots of local suppliers and Halfords have the 330 CCA but I'll only get that as a last resort.

Thanks.

AAAAAARRRRGGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Gone again so battery must be dead. However, need a JDM-style battery with smaller terminals as Nissan say they can't get UK ends for the + and - leads for 3-6 weeks. :lol:

Where can I source a battery with narrow terminals with a proper CCA (450 to 510 range) in next 24 hours??

Lots of local suppliers and Halfords have the 330 CCA but I'll only get that as a last resort.

Thanks.

Any auto electricion should have them mate