How worried would you be? (Work Related)

Anubis

I'm an IT contractor. I work for a very large company.

The contract started Sept 2009 and is going to end on 31st March (in 3 weeks time). I haven't heard anything regarding an extension (after asking) nor have I caught word I'm in trouble (no job). I'm very good at my job, I've made some huge improvements since my time at the company and to be frank they are getting a lot for the cash they are paying (most places have dedicated teams doing what I do, but here it is just me).

I get on with everyone, I know what I'm doing and work very hard. I've already had 1 extension with the company in question, which was offered to me around 5 weeks before the current one expired (so I knew they still wanted me for the future).

OK...I've been in this situation a dozen times over a few years for several companies and never worry. Except this time around, those around me are being made redundant (perms and contractors).

Typically alarm bells would start to be ringing very loud, however I'm the only person that can do the job, with the added factor that I am in huge demand all the time (the others are teams of people - the teams are just being made smaller or relocating across the UK to save cash). Not trying to sound big headed, but there is ziltch chance anyone learning what I do in a space of a few weeks, so they can't quickly retrain anyone.

How worried would you be if you were me about not having a job at the end of this month?

This time around, it's very hard to tell and management aren't giving any answers at this stage. The guy next to me (not doing what I do) has been given 1 weeks notice - this Friday he is gone. Yet I haven't had any straight answers from anyone.

For now I am going to presume business as usual - but should I be worried? Would you be? :headhurt:

i wouldnt be given your skill set, the value companies put on their employees isnt what they earn but more on the skills they have, if your as unique as your saying you will be fine. :thumbs:

This is what I was thinking. I don't just do 'jobs' for my department - i'm relied on from all over the world (Singapore, Washington, London, Tokyo, etc) - I hope, I don't come across as arrogant but there really is literally no one else to replace me with. They'll be shooting themselves in the foot if I were to go (suddenly all these teams around the world that can use my skills, suddenly can't and they'd all be stuck).

I just find it very concerning that those around me are going and nothing at all is being said (even when asked) about an extension.

To a fatcat I'm just a number (like most people) - thats the thing. :headhurt::wacko:

This is normal everywhere mate - same in my company - they dont tell you until the day your leaving or in some cases not at all and they ask you why your packing up your desk when they had extended your contract (just too dim to actually tell you!) Happened here last year and we lost a really good guy - dont blame him.

If your skills are good in the market place then - dont worry be happy and dont get complacent with the current employer - remember contractors are there for quick hire and short term lease.

Unfortunately 1 thing I have learnt (I work in IT too) you are always expendable no matter how good you are - get on the phone to agencies and get your self set up with alternatives just in case and assume they will no renew so you have your back covered - just being realistic - good luck either way :thumbs:

i wouldnt be given your skill set, the value companies put on their employees isnt what they earn but more on the skills they have, if your as unique as your saying you will be fine. :thumbs:

My team was cut last year. The 4 of us were put on the chopping block. I do a job that 4 people in the world do.... I work for a large multi national and our competitors are about 5 years behind us in my particular line of work - in fact we're so far they haven't even created the job role yet!

Nobody is indispensable. Oh, and if the company think you are indispensable then you'll never get promotion either!

Everything happens for a reason, if you stay - good on you. If you don't then it's just one of these things..... I'd keep an eye out for available posts just in case.

As Stan says, given how fickle the IT industry can be. Get on the phone, obviously when they can't hear you and start making some phone calls. Obviously depending on the terms that you're in there for. You never know, you might score a better paying contract. That's what contracting is all about. Good luck. :thumbs:

I'm sure you'll be fine, just work hard and give them no reason for wanting rid of you, that's the best you can do.

I think that IT is one industry that cares very little just how indispensable you are. I've seen so many people dissapear who thought that there would be no way that someone could replace them, and the companies just don't care.

I'm sure you'll be fine, just work hard and give them no reason for wanting rid of you, that's the best you can do.

I think that IT is one industry that cares very little just how indispensable you are. I've seen so many people dissapear who thought that there would be no way that someone could replace them, and the companies just don't care.

Until they realise that you were actually quite important to a project, and then get you back, then perhaps you have the whip hand. Happened to me and a number of my friends, but then it might be a tad different over there currently from what I hear.

Good luck whatever happens. :)

Nobody is indispensible, don't get sucked into believing you are.

ALWAYS look out for number one. If I was in your position I would be sourcing a new position immediately. if only then once it has been offered to you, you can go to your current employer and strongly request clarification on your position, knowing in the back of your mind that you have something else to move onto should they not play ball. I suspect what your doing at the moment is tiptoeing around hoping that everything is getting to be fine, but unfortunately, you can't pay the mortgage with hope, I've tried :lol:

Nobody is indispensible, don't get sucked into believing you are.

ALWAYS look out for number one. If I was in your position I would be sourcing a new position immediately. if only then once it has been offered to you, you can go to your current employer and strongly request clarification on your position, knowing in the back of your mind that you have something else to move onto should they not play ball. I suspect what your doing at the moment is tiptoeing around hoping that everything is getting to be fine, but unfortunately, you can't pay the mortgage with hope, I've tried :lol:

Heed this advise. Do not rest on the fact that you might be taken on again, always know whats out there and be ready to jump. Unless of course you fancy a month or few off after your contract ;)

Have to agree with the others, I would immediately be looking for another job. These type of companies employing you for contract work, have absolutely no interest in your well being whatsoever. Cover your back and get some other job's lined up, it would appear as though its only a matter of time before your let go, even if your contracts extended, its only prolonging the inevitable.

I would be worried if I were you, I'm in a permanent posting and I'm still worried! never become complacent. As Sarnie says, look out for number one.

Thanks for your responses everyone - much appreciated.

I shall have to see how things unfold in the next week or so. The reason being is that although you have to look out for number one (I agree 100% with your comments) - management often don't see it like that. Once you start to break that trust barrier, you're stuffed so to speak (even if they don't show it face to face).

For example, from a senior position they may think "this guy is playing us about always bouncing from job to job" - you'll get a bad reputation with a false perception of moving on just for cash all the time. I know some people do it and as a contractor this should happen but in the real world with real people you can burn bridges. I wouldn't be happy if I got a builder in to do a job and he jumps ship because I never mentioned about letting him carry on when I wanted him to (it looks like he is only interested in the pay packet and nothing else) - same principle.

You turn up one day and say "I have an offer elsewhere, what is my position here?" and Mr manager could think:

A ) "Oh crap, sorry - we just haven't informed you yet that we'd like you to stay"

OR

B ) "Oh...right..well, in that case we can let you go" (thinking - we would have liked you to stay but now I don't want you now you've gone behind our backs).

Swings and roundabouts.

I'll let you know when the time comes. :wacko::dry:

Why dont you just ask them whats going on then? As a contractor, thats the nature of the business, you complete contracts. When the end date is up, the company you work for should expect nothing less than you will move on if they havent secured you by renewing. Just ask them straight if they will renew as otherwise you will have to get another contract. They wont be upset or angry or anything - that business ;)

Thanks for your responses everyone - much appreciated.

I shall have to see how things unfold in the next week or so. The reason being is that although you have to look out for number one (I agree 100% with your comments) - management often don't see it like that. Once you start to break that trust barrier, you're stuffed so to speak (even if they don't show it face to face).

For example, from a senior position they may think "this guy is playing us about always bouncing from job to job" - you'll get a bad reputation with a false perception of moving on just for cash all the time. I know some people do it and as a contractor this should happen but in the real world with real people you can burn bridges.

You turn up one day and say "I have an offer elsewhere, what is my position here?" and Mr manager could think:

A) "Oh crap, sorry - we just haven't informed you yet that we'd like you to stay"

OR

B) "Oh...right..well, in that case we can let you go" (thinking - we would have liked you to stay but now I don't want you now you've gone behind our backs).

Swings and roundabouts.

I'll let you know when the time comes. :wacko::dry:

I wouldn't see myself out of work just to avoid a little confrontation with the management.

When I found out we were being downsized (I knew who'd be going straight off however) I had my CV updated and an appointment with a recruitment agency booked within the hour. I told my boss that too.

Being nice doesn't pay the mortgage.

There is no harm looking for something else, you don't have to use it as a threat. If you enquire and find their is plenty work out there then maybe you'll relax. If there isn't then maybe you need to put out a few feelers.

the way you put it, sounds like you are needed, but as you're just a contractor, they must have other plans and or believe they can find anyone to learn the role or should offer you a permanent position

i would still keep an eye out for other roles

moving jobs doesn't always mean its just for money, employers understand a contract job is not stable and is sensible to be on a look out

ive been in IT for couple of years now, ive done some certifications, but still progressing. probably not on the scale you are on, but i've had a few IT jobs and seen people come and go

by the way, are you from milton keynes? and what do you do in IT if you dont mind me asking?

For example, from a senior position they may think "this guy is playing us about always bouncing from job to job"

Who do you think the management are thinking of?? You????Nope. They are thinking about the bigger picture of which your a tiny part of.

I didn't mena you get offered another job and go running to your boss threatening to leave. You go see other companies for your own benefit, no one elses. Never let on you have something lined up. You can approach them with a bit more confidence knowing that you have something lined up, but never let them know that, just play the loyal employee part and harp on about how you really enjoy working there etc but need to know for your financial well being what their plans for you are. No boss should be offended by that.

If any of my staff give me the big I am, I let them know that they are 100% dispensible, plenty of unemployed mortgage advisors out there :teeth:

+1 Sarnie is right but we are saying the same thing , look after your

own interest first no one else will. Keep any future job interviews or

offers confidential but keep asking your boss if your contract is

likely to be renewed. Most importantly as Stew has mentioned ensure your cv is always up to date and with the agencies , I would assume it is anyway ( I used to contract after being made redundant) and my cv was sent off and I was on the phone to a few agencies within 30 mins of getting home after being told to go. If nothing else it focuses your

mind and stops you worrying about what might or might not happen.

Good luck anyway and if there are any nice SAP basis jobs going let

me know! ;):lol:

As the others have said, you dont have to threaten to leave, just have the offers in place. Thats the contracting world for you, people move on all the time.

Also you might want to consider where you stand with IR35. A big part of it is expecting to be extending, as that effectively makes you an employee. You dont want to go there ;)

by the way, are you from milton keynes? and what do you do in IT if you dont mind me asking?

I work and live in London, but family are in MK so quite often around these parts too.

I develop business intelligence tools (so all programs with the wizzy stats and charts, etc on a huge scale).