Manifolds or High Flow cats?

Tricky-Ricky

I need to weld in a couple of bungs for a wideband, which has to go before the cats, so just wondering which would be the best option, and aftermarket pair of headers, or fit a pair of high flow cats,

Also which do you think will be the quietest option with an aftermarket twin exhaust?

I had my bung welded on my hfc, just ater the flange that connects to the headers. The trick (as it turns out!) is to get it at the right angle, so that it doesn't interfere with any of the bolts and gives you sufficient clearance to get the probe in place.

My new set of test pipes already have additional wideband bungs fitted, my last wideband was fitted in passenger side cat. Headers are a pretty big job but if my last dyno is anything to go by then they make power :)

ive got some bungs for sale if you need any

Thanks! I want to keep either the std cats (preferable, cheaper) however is it that much more of a job to change the headers?

The other options are if there is enough void before the cats material, try and weld them there, or failing that replace one set of lambdas with the widebands and send a signal to the ECU, done this before, but as i don't know if the lambdas are true widebands, simulated or just plain std lambdas,

But even if i remove and replace, i think i would have to leave the lambda heater circuits connected, unless i could find out the resistance? anyone know?

I will be using the Innovate LM-2 twin channel unit, i have used the LM-1 for a few years now, and they work very well, but sold the LM-1 with my old car.

They have user configurable narrowband simulated analog outputs, also wideband, so you can virtually tailor the output to suit or even tweak the signal going to the ECU, but you really need the two sensors as its the only way to see what the other three cylinders are doing ;)

But like i said i have no idea just what the outputs of the std two sets of sensors are putting out?

Hi,

Have the manifolds done ,well worth the effort ,best bet get a fixed price for having them done at some exhaust place that has never done them before and give them the job ,they will not charge you any extra as they agreed a price before hand just make sure that you get the correct ones and a quality is better in my book ,I had Nissmo type R's fitted to mine and He said they were the easiest manifolds that they had ever fitted and it only took about 1/2 day.

Mark

I have read varying reports on how long it takes to do the job, one of the US guys reckons he did one side in an hour and the other in 30 mins, can't be any worse than removing the turbos from a supra or S13, and i have done that in 3 hours.

However its not a job i relish.

At least a day to replace the headers with engine insitu :thumbs:

+1 at least 6 to 8 hours work...

Still loling at 1.5h !!! :lol:

Agreed, 1.5H :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Headers are a bitch of a job to do, I only did them because I got some DC headers for a silly price :D

At least a day to replace the headers with engine insitu :thumbs:

+1 at least 6 to 8 hours work...

Still loling at 1.5h !!! :lol:

Yeah! but you have to remember that he's American so it stands to reason that if there BHP is 1.5 X UK BHP, so the time scale works on a similar basis in reverse ;)

I think the header route will be my best option as i have found some at a blinding price, just hope they fit ;)

seen the header , couldnt see the bolts :bangin: so i assumed wrongly it was hidden under stuff but i guess its all reachabole just pain in botty fiddly, either way i wouldnt attempt it even if it just bolts !

cats look pretty diyable though