A sign of things to come...

Beavis

as far as i was aware, that road has more deaths related to speed etc than any other, makes sense to put them there rather than the A45 dual carriageway. to me it seems someone is actually putting them up where they should be for once.

+1, but average speed cameras should be banned. I think they are very dangerous. For me at least, when i cant go over 50mph for example, my concentration tends to wander, or im concentrating on staring at my speedo rather than driving. :yawn:

as far as i was aware, that road has more deaths related to speed etc than any other, makes sense to put them there rather than the A45 dual carriageway. to me it seems someone is actually putting them up where they should be for once.

+1, but average speed cameras should be banned. I think they are very dangerous. For me at least, when i cant go over 50mph for example, my concentration tends to wander, or im concentrating on staring at my speedo rather than driving. :yawn:

well i think they are spot on for keeping a road like that safe. and if youve ever noticed you rarely get any traffic problems through 50mph average cameras even when the road is at capacity because everyone is doing the same speed limit :thumbs:

+1.........I read that article yesterday and my knee jerk reaction was F*CKERS :rant:

But then when you look again and absorb other articles about that road - you realise they've done it for a reason :)

:dry: mixed emotions. Yes it will reduce deaths as you won't get idiots trying to overtake on blind summits but it ruins driving enjoyment when it is clear and safe.

If it stops the idiots tho its a good thing I suppose...

You can't legislate for idiots, they will fail to notice the signs and gantries and still drive like tw4ts - at least the closing/impact speeds will be lower in general as the majority will be observing the 50 limit

What we need now is a van, petrol powered angle grinders and ninja suits

I can supply a rental van cheap :thumbs:

We have a new type of average speed control in bathgate.

Two police on cycles travelling two a breast on the main road :rant::rant::rant:

but thats another rant altogether. :shutup:

The only problem, as Dave indicated in the title, is where do they put them next? Can you imagine the fun we would have doing the Ffestiniog road & the Evo Triangle at an average speed of 50mph :scare: I think the problem we all have is believing any type of speed camera is anything more than a cash machine. I once saw one on a hill coming out of somewhere like Halifax (somewhere up North). It was something like a 1:6 hill and the camera was on the uphill side :scare:

Two police on cycles travelling two a breast on the main road :rant::rant::rant:

why, 2 motorcyles take up the same space as 1 car, just treat it the same when you overtake.

motorcyclists are taught to drive to the outside of the lane in order to take up the same amount of space as a car.

why, 2 motorcyles take up the same space as 1 car, just treat it the same when you overtake.

motorcyclists are taught to drive to the outside of the lane in order to take up the same amount of space as a car.

I was a biker for 5 years and can't ever remember a car overtaking me tbh. Mind you the Z wasn't out then ;)

The only problem is that over 80% of deatths on that road are motorcyclists.

Average speed cameras are forward facing.

If ever there was a clear demonstration that this is nothing but a moneymaking PR exercise this is it. It is an absolute disgrace. They even have the audacity, ney, bare faced cheek, to have posters littering the area with messages "To die for?" with a picture of a bike - then go and put forward facing speed cameras on a bikers death trap. No problem with speed cameras being justified as a "safety" measure - but by excluding the single group most at risk of death just proves how utterly stupid the people are running the "safety" camera partnership.

For anyone who doesnt live near or know much about the road, have a google with such terms as "deaths on Cat & Fiddle" - or "biker death on Cat & Fiddle" etc etc and you will soon see how utterly stupid/pointless it is to have forward facing cameras on that road. In fact, its probably more likely to kill a biker, as they will be out giving it beans, knowing full well the forward facing camera cant get them, and possibly run square into the back of a car that has slammed the ancors on at the first yellow camera.

no as mentioned all ready its not motorcycles but cyclists. Yup the police have became tarmac terrorists. cycling next to each other at my i add a very lesurley pace down the busy main street causing mass annoyance and also in the housing schemes where overtaking chances are very limited. :ban:

well i think they are spot on for keeping a road like that safe. and if youve ever noticed you rarely get any traffic problems through 50mph average cameras even when the road is at capacity because everyone is doing the same speed limit :thumbs:

LOL Husky Everyone does the same speed through adverage speed cameras, and it's usually between 10 - 30 mph in a 50. you always get people who won't do over 20 when going through speed camera zones, and on a road like that it's going to cause mayhem.

LOL Husky Everyone does the same speed through adverage speed cameras, and it's usually between 10 - 30 mph in a 50. you always get people who won't do over 20 when going through speed camera zones, and on a road like that it's going to cause mayhem.

I can't relate to that at all. I've done a couple of long trips recently with lots of 50 mph zones and average speed cameras and my experience was that everyone's driving bang on 50 just waiting for the end when they could speed up.

Have to agree with husky really, its easy to get upset when getting a ticket for speeding, as it feels like such an innocent way to break the law, but I'm pretty sure road accidents are one of the biggest killers in Britain, so it would seem fair to enforce it strictly. And even if its a money making exercise, they cant take any money off you if your not breaking the law?

Imagine if everyone who enjoyed driving fast was so put off by the speed camera's that they all decided to go to more track days, then the UK would possibly have more tracks crop up, and an even bigger and better track scene.

Imagine if everyone who enjoyed driving fast was so put off by the speed camera's that they all decided to go to more track days, then the UK would possibly have more tracks crop up, and an even bigger and better track scene.

thats a great point!

thats a great point!

With stupid noise regulations and limited usage policies...... so therefore probably not financially viable really. :thumbdown:

thats a great point!

With stupid noise regulations and limited usage policies...... so therefore probably not financially viable really. :thumbdown:

+1

How about people learn to drive properly before being given a car or a bike? Accidents will always happen, just look at that copper who went to attend the bus crash in the "big freeze" and ended up in the ditch with them. He knew how to drive in the conditions, he knew the conditions were bad, and yet he still crashed!

I would imagine things like smoking is one of the biggest killers in the UK, but again, they make far too much money of taxing them to make outright ban it. :rant: