350z and baby seats

Mark-UK

it is possible to disable the air bag permanently though :surrender:

Doesnt have to be permenant, you could add a switch to go between on and disabled ;) Dont know what resistor you need to bypass it with it to fool it into thinking the airbag is there though.

Doesnt have to be permenant, you could add a switch to go between on and disabled ;) Dont know what resistor you need to bypass it with it to fool it into thinking the airbag is there though.

Only problem I can see is how do you test it?

Only problem I can see is how do you test it?

required:

crash sensor from front

hammer

procedure:

place face on dash

combine hammer and crash sensor

result :

= win or fail

shortest welcome thread ever, you loner :p:lol:

Yeah it was pretty poor tbh, think I scared everyone off with a technical question plus im not a bird...

Ive noticed vultures on here when a bird posts her welcome she gets about 300 replies

:doh:

Vultures is probably a polite word mate - I think pervs is a better word! :headhurt:

shortest welcome thread ever, you loner :p:lol:

Yeah it was pretty poor tbh, think I scared everyone off with a technical question plus im not a bird...

Ive noticed vultures on here when a bird posts her welcome she gets about 300 replies

:doh:

Hardly anyone spoke to me either Tarmac :cry: - prolly cos launched straight in with techie question :p

this may or may not be of help but alot of cars can tell if theres a person in the passenger by the weight.

so if its not being sat it the airbag wont go off or if its light aka got a aby seat in it.

no idea if the Z has the sensors though :(

It does for 07+ cars I beleive. Its documented on my350z.com, as if you are removing the seats for buckets, you have to remove the sensor from the original seats, roll it up and compress it to fool it into thinking something is there so that the passenger airbag will fire ;)

A compentant auto electrician should be able to do the bypass pretty easily, but its getting the right value resistor on the bypass that will be difficult. Worst case it throws the airbag light and you have to try another resistor until it is happy. Im sure the value of resistor must be listed on my350z.com somewhere

I bought a forward facing recaro baby seat for my little Jamie, and kept the passenger seat right back. With the baby strapped in tight the airbag/s wont be an issue. Obviously i didn't drive like a plank with him in the car, and i have to say we had a great time visiting his nannies every sunday :dummy: although 9 times out of 10 he'd be fast asleep 20 minutes into the journey :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
most people also forget about the side airbag in the seat, which is at a height to hit the baby full in the face - Just don't risk a baby in a Zed :surrender:

Sorry Rich to disagree, but most baby seats have side protection built in and the recaro seat i bought for my little 'un' is ideal to to protect the baby from the side airbag. Even though those airbags don't directly go off towards you anyway. They cushion your head from hitting the side window!

As you know i have been in an accident in my zed and i had the side airbags go off (seat and curtain) and have to say i didn't even know they went off until i tried to get out of the car and they were in my way!!! Didn't feel a thing!!! :thumbs:

Basically the zed is a very safe car, and with a really good baby seat such as the recaro, then as long as you drive sensibly your baby will be as safe as any other car on the market.

• 4 months later...