Tonneau Cover

Dicky

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got it :thumbs: **** poor idea from Nissan

Dead right. Any ideas how to fix this? I was thinking strip it down (and stop the bloody squeeks at the same time btw) and refix it with some sort of plastic glue??

I've got some "well nuts" at work I will see if these are a stronger option than the original fittings as they seem very Heath Robinson, will post up if successful :thumbs:

It sits in the larger arch towards the rear of the car and rests up against the smaller arch, more or less. I'll try to find the pictures I posted about it before and put them back up.

Jim

Jim, I'm in the middle of making my own as well. Got a template cut now and piece of wood etc. Just looking for the right carpet to wrap it in.

Btw, did you put some rubber around the edge to hold it in place, or did you just jam in? I've got the luggage net now as well so need to ensure that I don't break the clips etc.....

If I can get it right (time permitting) then might make some more..... ;)

It would be better if it sat between the strut bar and the speaker housing. Then you could use the whole boot and still have it covered rather than loose half the boot.

Maybe, but it might look a bit funny and would be hell of a shape to make? :wacko:

Would have to be much more curved etc....... pain in the ass to make. My Blue Peter days are well over ;)

It sits in the larger arch towards the rear of the car and rests up against the smaller arch, more or less. I'll try to find the pictures I posted about it before and put them back up.

Jim

Jim, I'm in the middle of making my own as well. Got a template cut now and piece of wood etc. Just looking for the right carpet to wrap it in.

Btw, did you put some rubber around the edge to hold it in place, or did you just jam in? I've got the luggage net now as well so need to ensure that I don't break the clips etc.....

If I can get it right (time permitting) then might make some more..... ;)

Jacko - next time I see you check the material out I coated mine in ;) Well better than carpet imo!!!

Jacko - next time I see you check the material out I coated mine in ;) Well better than carpet imo!!!

Yeah mate, can do..... to be honest, if the carpet is thick then it becomes a problem anyway. Need something thin like the stuff they put on the sides of the boot. But will take a look :thumbs:

Yeah mate, can do..... to be honest, if the carpet is thick then it becomes a problem anyway. Need something thin like the stuff they put on the sides of the boot. But will take a look :thumbs:

Yep this stuff is thin ;)

I used some thin black material that my wife bought from a fabric shop -she's good at that sort of thing and finished it off for me. I checked out the price of the material for covering speakers etc. in Halfords and decided that was way too expensive. I used mdf to form the shape after cutting a template from cardboard. There is no need for a rubber strip around the edge if the fit is right - it just jams in and stays put. I have one of those non-slip mats on the floor of the boot which helps it to stay in place and also means that most objects don't slide around without the need for the luggage net.

Jim you made the right decision!

I bought one today. It cost £87. When I opened the box and saw what you get for that I nearly took it back. If they can’t make this for £10 I’ll show my nether regions in the local show room window.

It doesn’t even fit very well either. If I’d made one myself I’d probably have been paranoid at getting a nice snug fit. This one has a sizable gap right around it.

Got the brackets fitted then put it in position and noticed it has a small dent in it.

I’m half tempted to trace its outline and make my own.

Dicky

Ok, so made my own now. 12mm MDF, but what a b*itch to get fitted properly. A couple of hours with a jig saw and surform and much swearing. Mind you it only cost £15 all up :teeth:

The top edge sits just in front of the cargo net hooks with the bottom about 3 inches in from the front-side of the arch so it isn't quite vertical. Scuffed the nasty cheap plastic material in the boot quite a bit fitting it, but it looks ok.

Chose to cover it with black leatherette from the local haberdashery and used spray glue to avoid any nasty staples. Didn't put any rubber strip on the edges and the material blends in quite well with the plastic boot lining material.

If I can find a way to get the shape imported and measured in to Visio I'll post a dimensioned picture.

Hooray ! £30k car with a £15 tonneau cover :dry:

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a tonneau from holdcroft mainly as I carry a laptop and/or golfclubs in my boot a lot. I didn't want a muppet to break into my car to steal a company PC.... doesn't seem fair somehow!

It also stops things rolling about into the cabin side on your over enthusiastic trip home from Tescos!

• 3 weeks later...
Stuart B by any chance

Who dat? B)

Wish I could offer a template but it took me quite a few goes to get it right and only place it exists now is in CNC programming for guy who cuts them for me.

Easily done though if you have the patience and a jigsaw.

Stuart B by any chance

Who dat? B)

Wish I could offer a template but it took me quite a few goes to get it right and only place it exists now is in CNC programming for guy who cuts them for me.

Easily done though if you have the patience and a jigsaw.

Just a guy who made a load of his own ;)

Coincidence!!!!

Btw yours look top quality B)