Faded Brembo text on front calipers?

Ekona

Bit of an odd/daft one, this.

The lettering on the front calipers on my Brembo brakes has turned from a bright red colour (as it comes from the factory) to a deeper mahogany colour, and I'm unsure as to whether this is usual or not. The caliper itself is the same gold colour as it always has been and is on other cars I've seen (and not discoloured like Greekman's brakes were), and this is only happening on the front calipers: The rears are fine. I'm figuring it's still something to do with heat though as I'm no longer on a stock Brembo setup, currently I'm using Performance Friction discs and pads on the front but only the PF pads on the rear along with the Endless RF650 fluid. I figure that this will allow a greater build up of heat before any nasty fade sets in on track (and since I've yet to experience any fade on track with this setup, I think I'm on the right lines), but there is absolutely no degradation in performance on this setup at all. It still pulls up as smartly as it ever has done, and evenly too so no random snatching of corners as the ABS figures out what's going on as I had on the OEM discs with the PF pads.

In short, am I looking at any kind of early-warning here? Greekman, did you notice any discolouration like this before yours got to the point of no return? Or is there nothing to worry about as long as the caliper itself remains the gold colour it should be? Would appreciate any opnions/views on this. :)

Glad I'm not the only one thinking along those lines then. I'm wondering if, much like Greekman's paint change, it's an early warning sign built in by Brembo, just like when the whole caliper changes colour (something I never knew, I must admit).

Its a heat thing for sure. On the Evo forums (MLR) you're not a man until you have managed to fade the text :lol

I'd speak to ZMANALEX and see what he says, for sure he will know what is going on and what can be done to fix it.

What PF discs are you running? Are they 2 piece? 2 piece should keep the temps down :thumbs:

I didnt notice any fade on the text...didnt really look for it but mine changed colour in an instance so it would be too late anyway.... :dry:

the main thing is the piston seals from what i have gathered so far...take the calipers off and look for bubbles! if so they are knackered m8...

i ve got the dixcel set up with the titanium shimms, braided hel lines and motul 660... no fade what so ever... but even these calipers have got a bit darker after 2 hard track days... speak to zmanalex.... he is the man dude.... :thumbs:

I don't want to hijack this thread but I've noticed a very slight shake on my Brembos (only noticeable at high speeds) since the cold weather. Is it possible that the icy conditions have caused a slight warp on the discs ?

Havn't heard of that happening before. Most of the time when people think they have warped the discs it's usualy just uneven deposits of pad matterial on the disc.

Have you tried doing a few controled applications of the brakes (ie 60 down to 30) without actually alowing the car to come to a standstill - that may help...

Havn't heard of that happening before. Most of the time when people think they have warped the discs it's usualy just uneven deposits of pad matterial on the disc.

Have you tried doing a few controled applications of the brakes (ie 60 down to 30) without actually alowing the car to come to a standstill - that may help...

+1 - usually pad deposit. Do the break in procedure again and twice if needed and it should sort it. If its really bad (you can see a pad imprint on the disc) then it might need further break in procedures done. Let it fully cool between each run though, dont want to cook it.

+1 - usually pad deposit. Do the break in procedure again and twice if needed and it should sort it. If its really bad (you can see a pad imprint on the disc) then it might need further break in procedures done. Let it fully cool between each run though, dont want to cook it.

Thanks for the advise guys .... I tend not to use my brakes much .............. my original pads and discs lasted well over 50,000 miles ............this set was new about 6 months ago and I've had to use them a couple of times recently on the motorway at a lot higher speed than normal ;) due to some idiots pulling out on me :angry: ............. it's not a bad sensation at all really ... just a very mild judder but I'd like to confirm it's not anything to worry about .......... fast cars need fast brakes :teeth:

I think you may have answered your own question. If you got 50k miles from your last set you are clearly very light on the brakes as you have pointed out. Give them a couple of good, hard applications now and again say from 70 to 20 and they should be fine.

Especially if the quick stops on the motorway were to a stop. That could have got them hot enough to deposit uneven pad material on the disc :thumbs:

I get the same thing, lots of motorway driving means pads and discs last a long time, but can make it more prone that if you do one hard stop, it deposits pad material.