Thinking of not selling....!

marzman

Hey All,

About 2 months ago i decided to sell my zed to start saving some cash, and then my other half gave up work indefinitely, which pretty much meant i had to sell it anyway. Looking at the figures, i could save myself around £250 a month by having a cheap car.

So, bought a crappy e36 bmw 320i and put the zed up for sale initially, and then removed it again and stripped all my bits off like wheels/jwt/spacers etc etc to make it more sale-able. However, i was waiting to get some other work done on it (head unit repaired, exhaust swapped etc) and never put it back up for sale. The headunit was returned this weekend, so i put it back together....

Well, i decided to start driving it again yesterday and... it is amazing!! :lol: I cant tell you how good it feels, the handling, performance, the sound oh my god. I cant believe i didnt appreciate it!

So on my way home tonight i was thinking about how i can keep it. On my current loan i pay £250 a month and i have 2.5yrs of that remaining. However if i get another loan over 5 years at about £140 a month, and pay my existing loan off with that, then thats quite a bit cheaper a month for me, and i can afford that... :thumbs:

So i just need to see if i can get a loan now :blush:

...oh, and i've got a bog standard car again. D'Oh :lol:

EDIT - i realise doing this will cost me more in interest in the long run, but as long as i get to keep the car with reasonable monthly paymnts i dont care... :yahoo:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its not beyond your means, then keep it, if it stretches you too much then sadly its gotta go, maybe temporarily!?

I don't think its a good idea to borrow money IMHO, but if the Z means that much to you, maybe you can cut back on other spending I.E where you do your weekly shopping, stop modding your car, work extra hours, that's what id do. Borrowing is never a good option, sorry if i sound annoying or whatever xD

If its not beyond your means, then keep it, if it stretches you too much then sadly its gotta go, maybe temporarily!?

I don't think its a good idea to borrow money IMHO, but if the Z means that much to you, maybe you can cut back on other spending I.E where you do your weekly shopping, stop modding your car, work extra hours, that's what id do. Borrowing is never a good option, sorry if i sound annoying or whatever xD

I'm afraid I tend to agree. If you are having to get loans etc to cover paying off the car then any issues that may arise and are not accounted for may lead to you resenting it. But if you really really love it then go for it!

I'm afraid I tend to agree. If you are having to get loans etc to cover paying off the car then any issues that may arise and are not accounted for may lead to you resenting it. But if you really really love it then go for it!

Whats wrong with having a loan to pay for a car? Im not offended or arguing here, im interested...

Ideal world obviously, you'd pay for it outright, but in the real world unless you're very lucky that's not possible. Who has £15k lying about to buy a car outright that isnt:

a) still at home with their parents

B) older, therefore had chance to save/make money on property etc

c) a spoiled brat

d) Have a ridiculously good job (i.e contracting or self employed etc).

Im in my mid 20's, only been working for 3 years having come out of Uni so had no chance to save, but earn enough to have a nice car in my life... finance makes the world go round!

Whats wrong with having a loan to pay for a car? Im not offended or arguing here, im interested...

Ideal world obviously, you'd pay for it outright, but in the real world unless you're very lucky that's not possible. Who has £15k lying about to buy a car outright that isnt:

c) a spoiled brat

Im in my mid 20's, only been working for 3 years having come out of Uni so had no chance to save, but earn enough to have a nice car in my life... finance makes the world go round!

Good point well put :thumbs:

Nothing wrong with it at all. I don't fall in to any of the 4 catagories listed btw, and have therefore chosen to buy an older example to suit my budget... That could be seen as a false economy.

I am only giving my feelings on the matter, ie if I was having to take loans on top of other loans it would always be at the back of my mind that I have no contingency if some expensive repair work is required...

I am certainly not saying that people should never have fun without taking a risk, it's just that I would be out of my comfort zone.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do :thumbs:

c) a spoiled brat

Good point well put :thumbs:

i agree, BUT my point was id try and avoid getting another loan and paying more money and instead cut back on your spending, im sure its possible, also i just feel loaning is the wrong thing to do, im not knocking you for it, its just somthing i would avoid at all costs as it can tend to make you dig a deeper hole, not a personal comment atall im just wearing my logical hat at the moment, but hey its all fun so maybe throw the logical thinking out the window for a bit.

I disagree with people saying that loans are wrong.

I do however disagree with getting a loan over twice the period you currently have.

Its only £110 a month your saving, can you not cut back on anything at all like smoking, drink, sky etc and then in 2.5 years you own the car outright, for ever :thumbs:

I disagree with people saying that loans are wrong.

I do however disagree with getting a loan over twice the period you currently have.

Its only £110 a month your saving, can you not cut back on anything at all like smoking, drink, sky etc and then in 2.5 years you own the car outright, for ever :thumbs:

Pretty much what i was thinking said in a better way lol.