350z In the Snow

QuickNick

You miss the point, no one down South can appear to drive in the snow, even in their big 4x4. In which case, someone with some nonse can drive better than the muppets out here. You are comparing how you would do in a micra vs Zed, thats not the debate, its numpties in micra vs us in Zed - geddit? :bangin:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You miss the point, no one down South can appear to drive in the snow, even in their big 4x4. In which case, someone with some nonse can drive better than the muppets out here. You are comparing how you would do in a micra vs Zed, thats not the debate, its numpties in micra vs us in Zed - geddit? :bangin:

ok i understand. although even with limited mental capacity, mac the moronic muffin man still goes past (although badly and slowly with barely any control) when im completely stuck.

ok i understand. although even with limited mental capacity, mac the moronic muffin man still goes past (although badly and slowly with barely any control) when im completely stuck.

Zed snow driving 101, if you feel you are about to get stuck - at least make sure you block the road. Then they have to help you get moving :lol::lol::lol:

Zed snow driving 101, if you feel you are about to get stuck - at least make sure you block the road. Then they have to help you get moving :lol::lol::lol:

ahhh, missed that class :thumbs:

classic manouver :thumbs:

like chris said, not the point i was trying to make.

by no means what so ever is the zed the ideal car for the job when it comes to snow. just more that its not impossible to use.

FWD is far easier to use, but some morons can't even use that. the zed is my daily driver, so i have no choice. but its done me proud so far.

by no means what so ever is the zed the ideal car for the job when it comes to snow. just more that its not impossible to use.

FWD is far easier to use, but some morons can't even use that. the zed is my daily driver, so i have no choice. but its done me proud so far.

mine hasnt :dry:

I got stuck on saturday, i almost gave up hope of getting my car home i tried getting my mate sitting in the boot bouncing the rear end but no luck. So thinking back to the top gear polar special i just let out some air from the rears and it just made the difference i was able to get back up the hill.

To Be honest the car seemed fine when moving, didnt feel like it was gonna snap round, its just if you stop on any sort of hill your stuck. My old bmw 316 compact was anightmare in this sort of weather it would spin all the time so the zed seems quite tame iv been driving it all week dont think the snow is quite as deep down here in essex though.

Just remember your hiking boots folks! Its amazing what tracktion then have when giving the Zed or any car a push. My neighbours spent ages trying to dig their car out, so I suggest we give it a bit of a nudge rather than break their backs digging, got it going a piece of cake! Summer tyres have poor traction on snow, its amazing how much better proper footware and a human can do :lol:

The Zed in the snow is quite good fun. I quite enjoy my trips out in the snow. If you had to choose a car for the snow, a Zed would not be it - my wife's A class Merc is much much better. But for the shear sport of trying to make progress aginst the odds, you have to love the Zed.

Gentle inclines can be a bit of a problem, it depends on the nature of the snow/ice surface. There are times when nothing works - lost momentum, and had to give up - but this is rare.

As someone said, the back wheels want to move from higher to lower ground - including the camber on most roads. I have regularly found myself moving along the road at a bit of an angle, with the back wheels near the curb and the front wheels near the centre of the road. But once you get used to the strange position, its actually fine. When I get to a more grippy surface, I can get it straight again.

I carry a spade and a bag of grit in the car - not only for digging myself out, which I have had to do several times, but it also adds a bit of weight over the back wheels.

Hi All,

Been away a bit...

First time in a week that I've moved the Z. After a near death experience ( For both me and my pride and joy).

Got half way to work, 12 miles from home and had to turn back. Turned off TC and all hell broke loose, then couldn't turn it back on. (Lots of dash warning lights (Massive Stress) Parked it up for 5 mins to recover my nerve. Turned her back on and all seems fine. So... turned around and...

Set off for home programed sat nav A roads only. 3 yes 3 hours later (11 miles) I'm coming down a slight hill, 1 mile from home, 2nd gear engine revs matched 20 mph and then without warning the rear broke free. I went for about 100 metres as a total passenger. Many corrections on the way. All I could see was my biggest ever outlay for a car going into the ditch. During this time, as my life and wallet flashed before my eyes :byebye: the Z kept accellerating like a rocket powered ditch finder. I went between 2 oncoming cars on the wrong side of the road as though I'd planned it (I didn't honest). Then a total miracle, she straightened up and it was all over. I didn't hit so much as a yellow line. Don't know how we did it. I think she did it on her own cos nothing I was doing helped.

Got home, parked up and there she stayed....

And the moral of this story is !

If it's deep and crisp and even don't go near yer Z :teeth:

mines only been out of the garage for 1 day with this weather. A dry day on New Years Day.

Oh for a garage!......been advertising to rent one since I moved to the village three years ago - no joy.............

BTW - I'm prolly tempting fate here :wacko: but guys - come on, the zed's just another RWD car......not ideal for snow.... driven respectfully does just fine......apart from a couple of slightly kerbed alloys I've not had any probs in the snow........the worst issue up here now is the potholes now we've had a thaw - I clattered over one today was convinced the wheel would be buckled but all was well :D

god Daz that sounds so scary! Must admit this time of year i'm like a paranoid moron, checking the forecast and worrying about ice on the road. And as Vik says, the lumps out of the main roads here now are massive! No fun if you hit one at any speed!

Hi All,

Been away a bit...

First time in a week that I've moved the Z. After a near death experience ( For both me and my pride and joy).

Got half way to work, 12 miles from home and had to turn back. Turned off TC and all hell broke loose, then couldn't turn it back on. (Lots of dash warning lights (Massive Stress) Parked it up for 5 mins to recover my nerve. Turned her back on and all seems fine. So... turned around and...

Set off for home programed sat nav A roads only. 3 yes 3 hours later (11 miles) I'm coming down a slight hill, 1 mile from home, 2nd gear engine revs matched 20 mph and then without warning the rear broke free. I went for about 100 metres as a total passenger. Many corrections on the way. All I could see was my biggest ever outlay for a car going into the ditch. During this time, as my life and wallet flashed before my eyes :byebye: the Z kept accellerating like a rocket powered ditch finder. I went between 2 oncoming cars on the wrong side of the road as though I'd planned it (I didn't honest). Then a total miracle, she straightened up and it was all over. I didn't hit so much as a yellow line. Don't know how we did it. I think she did it on her own cos nothing I was doing helped.

I thought i was been a wimp the other day driving every where in 1st gear and not going over 10mph, and generally irritating all the people following me :lol: Glad now i didn't even try getting into 2nd gear :lol: One of my neighbors got his RX-8 stuck on a speed bump the same day, we all tried pushing it but in the end had to get a 10 year old Vectra to tow it into his drive way :headhurt:

Will be glad when it finally warms up...even though the snow does make everything look pretty :cold:

Hi All,

Been away a bit...

I thought i was been a wimp the other day driving every where in 1st gear and not going over 10mph, and generally irritating all the people following me :lol: Glad now i didn't even try getting into 2nd gear :lol: One of my neighbors got his RX-8 stuck on a speed bump the same day, we all tried pushing it but in the end had to get a 10 year old Vectra to tow it into his drive way :headhurt:

Will be glad when it finally warms up...even though the snow does make everything look pretty :cold:

First gear in the snow? No wonder you weren't making progress! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The main roads are fine but I have a 70 meter crawl along some roads on our estate that haven't been gritted/cleared yet. All I do it find the biting point without using the acclerator and then go a little bit more. The pull of the engine I think gets me going, and I can change to second and still do this. Works wonders on the ice.

Does anyone know what I'm going on about?

First gear in the snow? No wonder you weren't making progress! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

My Zeds been known to spin the wheels in 3rd gear this month :headhurt:

Well I've known the zed to spin the wheels in 3rd on a wet road, let alone snow and ice - so yes.

I agree totally with rtbiscuit....the Zed is clearly not the ideal car for these kind of conditions but if you can still manage to drive, as I do 30 miles to work on s**t, snow covered A and B country roads and your colleagues don't turn up due to the weather and they only live 2 miles away; then you do tend to be seen and remembered as a legend with the added extra of owning a great looking car!!! Good times :D

As it has been mentioned, it comes down more to the driver and not the tool of choice. Last friday I was driving along the dual carriageway of the A47 near Norwich, when I saw an '09 plate range rover on its side in the ditch....tracks clearly show it had done a complete 180 spin from the outside lane and had gone into the ditch backwards and then tipped. So even the best of tools doesn't necessarily mean this weather is any easier to contend with..............it did bring a smile to my face though thinking I was still commuting in my extemely light, rear ended, rear wheeled and very torquee zed!!!

Good news....warm weather approaching!!! :thumbs:

As it has been mentioned, it comes down more to the driver and not the tool of choice. [/size]

i just don't think it does, you can have an amazing driver in the zed and a spoon in a matiz and your still more likely to get stuck or spin out.

PS: the zed isn't really a flyweight

As it has been mentioned, it comes down more to the driver and not the tool of choice. [/size]

i just don't think it does, you can have an amazing driver in the zed and a spoon in a matiz and your still more likely to get stuck or spin out.

PS: the zed isn't really a flyweight

You obviously dont have the quality of spoons we have down south, come spend a week with me next time it snows and you'll change your mind ;)

I agree with Chris upto a point however when your road has a frozen peak down the middle a couple of feet wide then I'd much rather be in my missus Rover 25 than have my Zed scraping along the bottom, I might have made it in one piece but I definitely would've been fine in the Range Rover.

However I do agree that there are a lot of spoons who can't drive on snow down here, that was what caused me to abandon my Zed a few weeks ago, the traffic not the snow!