350z In the Snow

QuickNick

Hi guys just wanted to get the general consensus view on how you are coping in the snow...trying to form an opinion on certain cars' handling in these extreme conditions, and am really interested in the difference between 350Z and 370Z..

I havent driven in about 2 weeks, I tend to avoid the snow at all costs, not so much for me but the stress being around other drivers on the road who have no idea how to control their cars in these conditions.

You guys get much traction? struggling? Had many near misses? How would you compare the 350z to comparable rides you may have driven in the past i.e. BMW etc...

Find it very interesting how cars handle in the snow, as I believe it brings out the best/worst characteristics in any car.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with the above. I've had to use mines to get to my girlfriends and back and forth to work.

I've had to abandon it numerous times on sideroads, and the back end has unexpectantly kicked out on me a few times.

In general, its terrible in the cold weather - it's not the best time of the year for me to learn how to drive a powerful rwd car. :headhurt:

The rear end of mine has a mind of it own at the moment. Off to Tescos for another bulk back of underpants on the way home tonight.

If I had the choice it would not be leaving my driveway again until ALL the snow and ice has melted, but unfortunately its the only option for getting to work. 3 1/2 hours for a 30 mile journey this morning. At one

stage I had the ignomy of needing to be pushed :(

Its pretty bad, but could be worse. I imagine the 370z and 350z are as bad as each other, if anything the 370z may be worse as I beleive it has a shorter wheel base which means its more likely to spin!

I think the boing boing noise is something to do with ABS. I have heard it on airfield days when stopping quickly with TC off.

Its pretty bad, but could be worse. I imagine the 370z and 350z are as bad as each other, if anything the 370z may be worse as I beleive it has a shorter wheel base which means its more likely to spin!

I think the boing boing noise is something to do with ABS. I have heard it on airfield days when stopping quickly with TC off.

Mine is not ABS related, happens almost every time the ESP throttles the revs way down. Might go and record it in a bit to see if anyone else gets it :shrug:

Mine is not ABS related, happens almost every time the ESP throttles the revs way down. Might go and record it in a bit to see if anyone else gets it :shrug:

sort of like a metallic 'twanging'? hmmm can't think how to describe it!

sort of like a metallic 'twanging'? hmmm can't think how to describe it!

Yeah, its like a dull boing/twang noise.

I've been driving mine everyday in the snow as I don't have access to any other cars ...

It's been pretty scary and I've had a near miss or two ... one this morning in fact ...

Getting traction is a knightmare and I've got stuck a few times ... luckily I've not had to abandon it (yet) ...

Just have to be Extra careful, keep your distance and drive around in a higher gear ...

i've even been doing better than some FWD cars.

Glad someone else finds its not the worst car in the world, well not when its paired with a reasonable driver :teeth:

agreed its not that bad. people seem to curse it to the ground in this weather but i've not really had any problems, as long as i don't loose momentum. had to gently rock it out with the clutch but once moving i'm usually fine.

been pulling away in 3rd works a treat, and not using the loud pedal much. just tickle it really. and use the gears to slow down for roundabouts and corners. hardly touch my brakes, keepa good gap and make judgements and adjustments really early.

yes my wifes car is easier to drive in this weather but mine isn't impossible.

what makes it difficult are the other plob heads on the road who don't know how to drive :doh:

what makes it difficult are the other plob heads on the road who don't know how to drive :doh:

Especially when it comes to keeping momentum, some people just dont know how to slowly crawl along so you dont stop. That was the number 1 factor with the nightmare drive just before xmas. People were trying to move 1m at a time when they could as fast as they could rather than just keep going slow and steady, which meant everyone was stopping and then getting stuck :bang:

i've even been doing better than some FWD cars.

Glad someone else finds its not the worst car in the world, well not when its paired with a reasonable driver :teeth:

sorry but the laws of physics do apply in my car. Im perfecly capable of driving in snow, ffs if i can drive a nissan micra through 1 foot of FRESH snow for 20 miles, i can drive in 2 inches of the stuff. Yes there are times when you can plod along quite happily and tackle the odd slope with a run up. But you are seriously saying that if i got out my car and got in a matiz, micra, metro or mondeo i would fare worse... i think not. In the snow im happy to admit that the zed is s**t. Simple reasons. Wide/sport tyres, RWD, no weight over the back, incorrect gearing, sporty clutch. lets compare that to a vehicle thats good in the snow... Defender: Thin/chunky tread tyres, 4wd, plenty weight, low range, easy clutch.

Hmmmmmmmm

Don't get me wrong, i really love the car but i'm not ignorant of its limitations. In this weather i could be having a much more fun and easy time in my old micra.

:thumbs: